Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal Help

rhcpfan2011

I'm looking for a good overdrive pedal maybe even a light distortion pedal that can possibly give me a nice chili peppers tone. Any help would be appreciated.

I think I read somewhere that Frusciante uses a Boss DS-2:

239278jpg.jpg

Personally' date=' I'd go classic and pick up an Ibanez Tubescreamer (the vintage reissue)

[img']http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionRegular/Ibanez/562847jpg.jpg[/img]

He does use a DS-2 but I think a distortion pedal is too much for my needs that's why i am thinking of an overdrive.

Ive actually played with the tube screamer and it was ok a little light though.

I probably sound retarded right now but yeah.

I'm leaning towards the sound of the Digitech bad monkey have you personally tried it or heard good things about it?

So you want to sound like a certain artist, but you think the pedal that artist uses is too much for what you want to do? I'm afraid I don't follow the logic. That would be like me saying, "I want to get a good Pink Floyd sounding tone, but I don't want to play a Strat or a HiWatt. What should I get to make my Les Paul and Mesa Dual Rectifier sound like David Gilmour's rig?"

If you want a good RHCP tone, you should probably start with the gear they use... That would make the most sense to me. Otherwise, you're basically asking "what sounds more like a DS-2 than a DS-2?" I don't think anyone here can really answer that question, unfortunately. I would suggest starting by trying out everything on the pedal displays at your local music store, and go from there.

I guess what i meant to say is that i want to get close to his distortion but not necessarily mimic it, i want to have my own individuality in it if that makes any sense.

That overdrive/distortion might be nice i'll have to try it out.

I heard the ds-1 isn't necessarily a great pedal though

Marshall "Bluesbreaker II" is pretty awesome, too. That, and the "Jackhammer II" as well.

I have a Fulltone Fulldrive, as well. Out of all them, I seem to use the "Blues Driver" the most,

and the "Bluesbreaker II" a very close 2nd. But, that's me...so, you'll need to try out many,

find what You like.

CB

i use a ds-1 into my modded bd-2 with both gains almost at nill. but thats just because my marshall wants to distort every thing. i'm not ready to use that setup all the time yet, though.

another integral part of how different pedals sound, is YOUR amp and what settings you use.

Marshall "Bluesbreaker II" is pretty awesome' date=' too. That, and the "Jackhammer II" as well.

I have a Fulltone Fulldrive, as well. Out of all them, I seem to use the "Blues Driver" the most,

and the "Bluesbreaker II" a very close 2nd. But, that's me...so, you'll need to try out many,

find what You like.

CB[/quote']

I like the Blues Driver (on the same one for almost 10 years now) quite a bit too-but I really like that Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal! I'm using that more than the 'Driver now...it's a really dynamic pedal in OD, and the boost is a helpful little function too. Can definitely get a Marshallesque sounding crunch out of my non Marshall amplifiers with it. That Boss BD though is tried and true-what a workhorse pedal it has been for me. I'll never get rid of it, that's for sure.

I keep channel 1 clean and channel 2 slightly dirty. Then, I kick in the Tube Screamer on channel 2 for an extra edge. If I want just a little bite, I use the Tube Screamer on channel 1. That gives me several distortion options without having to make knob changes on the fly.

I guess what i meant to say is that i want to get close to his distortion but not necessarily mimic it' date=' i want to have my own individuality in it if that makes any sense.

That overdrive/distortion might be nice i'll have to try it out.

I heard the ds-1 isn't necessarily a great pedal though[/quote']

I wouldn't be too concerned about mimicing his sound. One night at a blues jam, an older gent complimented my Strat and related that he was going to sit in, but hadn't brought his guitar and could he use mine. Well, I handed him the Strat, went and took a seat at the bar and was totally astounded at how different my guitar sounded in his hands. The only bummer was.......it sounded BETTER!

The bottom line, and it's been said before, never, never underestimate how much of your tone is coming from your hands and your heart.

Play on.............................

Scott VW

The bottom line' date=' and it's been said before, never, never underestimate how much of your tone is coming from your hands and your heart.

Play on.............................

Scott VW[/quote']

+1 Tone is in your fingers.

rhcpfan2011 , try every stompbox you can put your hands on and pick up what fit your taste. In the end you will sound like YOU.

Has anyone else experienced the fact that the better you get at playing "Clean"...that is, without synthetic (pedal)

distortion, but just what the guitar and amp alone can do, the less need there is, for pedals, except in specific

instances? I own a bunch of pedals (especially overdrive and/or distortion), but use them less and less, all the time...or, maybe more accurately, just for those very specific effects, not obtainable with just the guitar and amp combo.

CB

Archived