Gibson Brands Forums

Hello all... new Epi owner here

Maple

Hello all, my first post here!

i went out last nigth to L&M (the Canadian version of GC) and took home an Epi Les Paul Classic! they just got in today.. nice and fresh #-o

i compared it to a Gibson LP studio, a Gibson LP historic 57, and a Gibson LP standard. and no joke, this one felt best to me. the finsh is perfect, and the neck is almost the same as my ES-339 fat neck. it felt closest to the 57RI, but the frets on the Epi are a bit bigger :) i like that.

i was willing to pay more for the one that felt right, so it wasn't becasue it cost less.. it really just felt the best. now, i haven't plugged it in.. all were played acousticly, so that will be the final test. i've got 30 days to return it if it doesn't work out tone wise. i'm also going to go to another L&M this weekend and i'll plug in a few Gibson LP's and see how they compare.

It says "Limited Edition Epiphone Custom Shop" on the back of the headstock and claims to be Hand Built.

it's pretty much the exact same thing as that limited Slash Epi gold top, but it says "classic US gold top" on the truss rod cover.

I've been mostly a strat player, i got my first non Fender electric last year, a Gibson ES-339 and i love it. That's what made me want a Les Paul. Another thing, the quality on the Epi is just as good, if not better than the 339. no lie!

Anyone else try or own one of these? Interested to see what others think.

I'm pretty excited to get home and play it after work

anyway... more to report after i give the the proper test drive. I hope it works out!

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=119

Another Classic owner. Welcome aboard, you won't find a nicer bunch of guys anywhere on the web, tell you whatever you want to know about yer Axe. Below is my '04 Classic. Got mine from Musician's Friend for 499 bucks sight unseen. To say the least I was not disappointed.

That's gotta be a leftover...unless they're making Classics again...and I don't believe they are. But yes, pictures, if you please. And more pictures on top of that. I hear ya about comparisons, I had a Gibson Les Paul Classic, and sold it...still have the Epiphone. I couldn't get used to the high frets on it, and kinda needed the coin at the time, so the Gibson got sold. The Epi just "fits"...and it's Blue! I'm a sucker for a Blue guitar.

thanks for the reply and warm welcome!

i will try to get some pics up tonight.

as far as i know it's the exact same specs as the linited Slash model

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Slash-Signature-Goldtop.aspx

And from what i can tell they are a new limited run at L&M. of course it may just be the same as you've got that they are putting out again. one thing is for sure, it's a real looker... the Godtop and dark back looks amazing!

man this day is moving slow... i can't wait to get home and plut it in.

Matiac, what amp and effects do you run it with? I've got a Princeton Reverb RI and an MI Audio Crunch Box i'll be hooking it up to.

Yeah! Sounds like another happy Epi owner.

Welcome to the forum. A lot of they guys here know an incredible amount about

Epi's. Some of them are great sources when it comes to modifying your guitar too.

Post pics as soon as possible.

Sorry for the late reply. My rig is an old Crate B20 bass combo run into a 4 x 12 Marshall top. Effects are a Zoom 505II, and a Zoom MRS8. I used to have a Digitech RP1 too, but had to sell it. ANYWAY, that's all my rig is, and it's actually too much. I don't even use the amp when I record, just run the Zooms directly to the computers soundcard...works pretty well for me.

turns out i didn't have the camera at home... bummed. but i'll have it tonight!!

i did get to play it a while and clean it was pretty good, better than i thought it would be. but with distortion / overdrive it was okay... problem is it won't stay in tune for more than 1 miute. i wasn't doing any big bends either.. oh well. it may be the intonation, i'm not sure. anyway, tomorrow is saturday and i'll maybe look for another one. we'll see.

Archived