Gibson Brands Forums

Is this thing fake? Sheraton content

joef

The "wood" grain looks very much like the Ibanez Artcore that I donated to my church. Is that really wood under there? If so, what kind of wood? I was expecting to see, well, you know, XYLEM.

If you don't like the guitar, you can buy his 41/100 of a carat diamond ring for $1,000. Or buy an African safari for $3,000. How much is the shipping on an African safari? If he would just sell me some erotic dreams for $5,000, I'd bite.

If you don't like the guitar' date=' you can buy his 41/100 of a carat diamond ring for $1,000. Or buy an African safari for $3,000. How much is the shipping on an African safari? If he would just sell me some erotic dreams for $5,000, I'd bite.[/quote']

Yeah, that guy looks real legit...

Maybe you could make a request at the trading post?

That is a pretty convincing wear on the metal parts. Logo looks allright to me. But I'm not a sherri-expert. The 2 versus 3-screw TRC is concerning tho.
Well, the other thing that's concerning is the crack at the neck joint. Even if it's real, it might have structural issues. I've emailed the seller about that, but that was before I really got down to examining the headstock. Screw it. I'm not bidding. This thing will be someone else's. I'm kinda set on sunburst anyway.

I don't want to sound like a moderator here, but I hope everyone takes determinations of fakitude in these discussions with a grain of salt. I'm not saying all of the opinions and input aren't valuable--they are. Some guitars, like some of the fake LPs I've seen discussed here, are pretty obviously fake. But, given the EXTREME variability of Epiphones over the years and between countries and manufacturers, it can be REALLY difficult to say for certain that some guitars are fake.

That being said, I think it's valuable for someone who is really GASsing to receive the notes of caution that they get on this forum, lest they get taken while in a state of altered consciousness and vulnerability.

(BTW, I think THIS note of caution also extends to people asking how a particular model's neck feels. I know Gibson's models have varied over the years and, in theory, their control should be more constant than Epiphone's. So, listen to recommendations, but please play the guitar yourself to be sure.)

I now get down off of my soap box. ;-) Cheers.

Hi. I'm new here' date=' but i frequent many of the other forums online: tgp, ibanez, hc etc.

I was wondering what the experts think about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=390035836445

it has a three-screw truss rod cover[/quote']

I'm really not sure why there's any question here. The auction guitar is a 1983(September) Matsumoku-made(Japan) Epiphone Sheraton. It appears to be 100% legitimate and actually in exceptional condition with a market value of between $750-$850. It might be prudent for some of you "experts" to actually know something in depth before setting forth to determine its veracity.....

Bronte

I'm really not sure why there's any question here. The auction guitar is a 1983(September) Matsumoku-made(Japan) Epiphone Sheraton. It appears to be 100% legitimate and actually in exceptional condition with a market value of between $750-$850. It might be prudent for some of you "experts" to actually know something in depth before setting forth to determine its veracity.....

Bronte

Lets be a little careful here.

Though I'm in agreement with you this guitar is legit, we must be open to other opinion's on the contrary, especially when dealing with items that are listed on Ebay.

All opinions are welcomed, and we will not be suppressing any opinions, no matter how strong your convictions may be.

It looks great............probably sounds great too, I'm not sure thats a crack @ the neck joint (a definite dealbreaker)

AND, are those just horiffic scratches on the top, or is it a cracked spot about to cave in?

I'm with Duane V on this one........if its mechanically ok, i'd LOVE to have it.

are any of you guys leery of the neck crack? i'm waiting on a response from the seller that i'll happily share w/ the board. but the seller DOES have 12 negs in the last year, that's one a month...regardless of the amount of goods he's sold, that's quite a bit. and most of his goods are harley davidson boots, not vintage guitars.

Bronte

Epiphone didn't use serial numbers in 1983?

Bronte

Hey ease up on the coffee and take a valium or something. Theres no need to be so rude to some of the members here. Everybody here is trying to HELP. Please show a little bit more courtesy next time.

I was a bit put off by members being so quick to dismiss it as a fake based on features on modern Sheratons.

Ric at least admitted that he wasn't an expert, which I feel is important if you're going to judge someone's instrument.

That said, with more research, there seem to be variations even among 1983 Sheratons - a Google image search shows me two- and one-screw truss rod covers.

If you look at the screws, the two at the bottom match, the top does not. This leads me to believe that the owner may have, at some point, replaced the truss rod cover with a more recent version, and had to add a screw. If I had done it, I would have arranged the screws the same way.

Bronte

Strong first post =P~ .... welcome to the forum.

I was a bit put off by members being so quick to dismiss it as a fake based on features on modern Sheratons.

Ric at least admitted that he wasn't an expert' date=' which I feel is important if you're going to judge someone's instrument.

That said, with more research, there seem to be variations even among 1983 Sheratons - a Google image search shows me two- and one-screw truss rod covers.

If you look at the screws, the two at the bottom match, the top does not. This leads me to believe that the owner may have, at some point, replaced the truss rod cover with a more recent version, and had to add a screw. If I had done it, I would have arranged the screws the same way.[/quote']

I missed whatever seemed to be consensus that the guitar is a fake. The seller gave me some reason for concern in that he is a professional ebay seller (of other people's items) and they are rarely acquainted intimately with what they are selling. I thought that the apparent lack of a serial number was troubling, but the seller was looking for it in the wrong place. I see that there is one on the headstock. Whatever, I didn't think anyone stipulated that is was a fake, only that there were some questions.

It looks real to me.

I doubt that's an aftermarket tr cover.. I'd bet, without knowing, they just changed from three to two screws at some point.

It really seems legit to me.

The neck crack 'seems' to be rather ok repair wise.. the finish matching probably the worst of it.

TWANG

Hi. I'm new here' date=' but i frequent many of the other forums online: tgp, ibanez, hc etc.

I was wondering what the experts think about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=390035836445

it has a three-screw truss rod cover[/quote']

Guys, I don't know if this guitar is fake or not (as some of you have pointed out there are variances in the

Epiphone Sheraton headstock based on the year that it was made and the country it was made in). The one

thing that caught my eye though is the color. I've never seen a burgundy colored Sheraton before. And if

you look closely at the back of the headstock and neck, down to where it's set at the body, you can see

underneath the finish that it has the 3-piece maple Sheraton II neck rather than the mahogany one piece

necks that were use on the Japanese made Sheratons or Elitist Sheratons. Just an observation on that and

I think the guitar looks re-finished (someone else mentioned a possible neck break). You can see that he

shows the original pickguard and knobs (The new knobs are the black witchhats with silver caps...I like those; I have

them on my Les Paul...with the marker points. That adds class). So he may have refinished his guitar from the

way it originally was. The other wear and tear on the metal parts looks normal; so it's hard to tell if the paint job

was just a personal choice of color change or to hide some cosmetic problems with the guitar. This is E-bay or

as someone else intimated E-fake. Since you really can't try it out without buying it, I'd stay away from this one

no matter how pretty it looks. JMHO.

Archived