Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton: Imperial or Keystone?

EpiSherry

Hello all. I just got my Epiphone Sheraton after a year of looking (I'm a southpaw and this guitar is a blessing).

I've been playing for 9 years and this is my first Epiphone and by far my favorite guitar.

Anyways...

As much as I appreciate what a beauty it is, the level of gold on this thing is burying the needle on my Pimp-o-Meter (all of my prostitute employees aren't helping either). As far as upgrades, I will do pickups later. This thing is pretty sweet stock.

Do any of you have Imperial or Keystone style tuners on a Sheraton? I would really like to see how it looks. Should I switch out the nut? Pots? And while we are here, what other upgrades have you done? Thanks!

i think they'd look nice. Selector switch is normally the first thing to go on my epis so if you can do the pots/caps at the same time you'll probably get a lot more out of the guitar without having to change the pups!

welcome to the forum and get some pics up!!

Yeah I think Imperials look best. Don't them come on the Elitist model anyways? If I was to mount Imperials (the whole deal, not just tuner buttons) would it require any extra holes?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and throw them up here.

EpiSherry...if you want(?) New Tuners...get Grover "Super" Rotomatics...they have the "imperial tuner keys,"

on them, already. And, you won't have to make any new holes. If you actually put on the "Imperial"

tuners, they will require another pilot hole (top)...much like a "Kluson" deluxe does.

And, yeah...the "Elitist" come with "Super" Rotomatics, with the "Imperial" buttons/keys.

CB

Nothing wrong with imperials on a semi-acoustic!

My Hagstrom has their take on imperials' date=' and it looks very [i']pimped [/i]indeed:

VI_BLK.jpg

Wow! Did that come with a big hat with a long feather sticking out of it? Hot guitar, indeed!

JIm

Traditionally, Gibson made Sheratons came with Grover kidney beans. The Imperials were reserved for

the 3 p_up thinline Emperor (quite rare). The Sheraton being the top of the line thinline probably

should have Imperials, as the gear ratio is better than the 14:1 Keystones.

There is a on-line store that you can order just the pearl Imperial buttons and those add some

additional bling to your pride and joy. I have a set on my Broadway elitist. I just replaced the

grover kidney bean buttons with the Imperial buttons.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_partsbuttons.htm

I guess it is more a matter of taste. I have a very old set of Grover Imperials that I installe on an old 335. They looked out of place.

My Sheraton is totally stock and sounds great. I have a Gibby Les Paul and SG. The pickups are hotter and have more focus. The Sheraton blows them out of the water looks wise.

Archived