Gibson Brands Forums

Non-Gibson/Epi GAS?

clarkuss

Anyone been GASing for a non Gibson/Epi product but too loyal/shy/ashamed to say?

I have no problem in telling you all that I have been itching all week for a Gretsch Country Gent or Tennesseean. They've been top opf my list for a long time now but I distracted myself by buying loads of other less expensive guitars. Might have to sell something and satisfy myself with a cheaper version until I can afford the real deal. I really want one of the newer Japanese versions. I think they look fantastic:

Gretsch G6122II Chet Atkins Country Gentleman

4063863734a10556438240l.jpg

Gretsch G6119-1962HT Chet Atkins Tennessee Rose HT

4063863734a10556438217l.jpg

Gretsch Electromatic 5122DC - If only it had bound f-holes!

!BQPc(Lw!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DgEjlLlgJ6SBJ31cRScmg~~_1.JPG

I'll be gassing for a Marshall JCM800 for a long time yet so dont feel ashamed. as long as you still input helpful advice/comments ect then thats cool.

Nice looking guitar by the way. One day i plan to buy a fender!!! Now thats a bad thing to say on here lol.

I think everybody gasses for allorts of stuff. Im getting a new Gibson next week hopefully, will be my first and my last but if i dont do it i'll regret it for ever. I need opinions so been asking on here. I know its ok as its gibson but id still ask if it was another make as theres always someone here to help. If it gets moved to the lounge then thats what what and people can still help ya. Its good now we've got an open side to the forum

Good luck getting your guitar im sure you'll be happy

I'm always gassing for something and no, I'm not ashamed to admit that some of it is not Gibson/Epi . Since purchasing my Squire Double Fat Strat I am really gassing for another " nice " Strat. I will probably end up settling for a Squire Classic Vibe series, if you can call it " settling ". I played one at a local shop and it was like butter; better than any MIM that I ever played.

I used to be in a band with a friend who had a gretsch because we both loved the Beatles and the Smiths and ever since then they've been the holy grail. Especially in the walnut finish. I think I'm going to hold off buying anymore guitars until I can afford one of these.

How much difference between the standard Gretsch and the Electromatic Gretsch? I mean' date=' is there really $1,700 difference in playability, quality and sound?[/quote']

I was actually going to suggest that Clark that a good look at the Electromatics. I've owned a 5120 for a while now and I couldn't be happier. It is an amazingly well put together guitar as well as a great base for mods. Although the only thing I've done to mine so far is to swap out the clear pickguard (they're shipping with the silver now, anyway), I plan at some point to upgrade the pup's and the bridge.

Check 'em out if you haven't already, Clark. Amjazing value and TONS of Gretch vibe!

Jim

HalloweenGretsch.jpg

I'm here because it's my preferred forum, not necessarily because they're my preferred instruments... though Gibsons and Epiphones do outnumber the rest of them, it seems.

My next electric guitar is going to be a Heritage H-170, if I can get one... so it's not a Gibson or Epiphone, but it's very, very similar... right down to being made in the Kalamazoo factory.

But I'm hardly a loyalist. I'd actually love a Telecaster with Gibson-type parts:

Picture4-1.png

I have 3 Gretsch guitars ('66 Country Gent), and 2 Duo-jets! Great guitars. The Country Gent sounds like NO other

guitar I own! Big, full bodied, Fat Twang, but handles pedals really well, too. The Duo-jets are both single coil Duo-sonic

type pickups, and have their own tone as well. Kind of "Telecaster" like, but different. IF you're a "Beatles" fan, the

"Gent," and/or "Tennessean" would be perfect for their early sound...that, a Vox amp. But, of course, Gretsch guitars

are not limited to "Beatles" music. They do have their own unique tone...and "roundness" for lack of a better term.

CB

I was actually going to suggest that Clark that a good look at the Electromatics. I've owned a 5120 for a while now and I couldn't be happier. It is an amazingly well put together guitar as well as a great base for mods. Although the only thing I've done to mine so far is to swap out the clear pickguard (they're shipping with the silver now' date=' anyway), I plan at some point to upgrade the pup's and the bridge.

Check 'em out if you haven't already, Clark. Amjazing value and TONS of Gretch vibe!

Jim

[/quote']

I've had a 5122 for about 6-8 months now and like it a lot. It's the only Gretsch I own, and it definitely has a sound of its own. That said, I'm currently gassing for a Hagstrom Viking in Cherry Red.

I was actually going to suggest that Clark that a good look at the Electromatics. I've owned a 5120 for a while now and I couldn't be happier. It is an amazingly well put together guitar as well as a great base for mods. Although the only thing I've done to mine so far is to swap out the clear pickguard (they're shipping with the silver now' date=' anyway), I plan at some point to upgrade the pup's and the bridge.

Jim

[/quote']

Yeah I'm seriously considering the Electromatic (not in the next month or so though!) I need to raise the funds but i think if I save up £600 I may as well keep saving until I can buy a decent second hand gent for about 1000-1200. Otherwise I have this feeling that I'll just never be satisfied. I've already got a few guitars that I enjoy playing so I think if I buy a Gretsch it will be the whole hog. But my friend had an Electromatic and it was one of the nicest guitars I've played for the price.

Archived