Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Rig?

littlekenny

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home: Les Paul (usually) right into a Fender Blues Junior.

Band: Les Paul or Strat into (in this order) Teese RMC 3 wah --> Analogman Beano Boost --> Lovepedal Magicboy --> Analogman King of Tone --> Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso --> Mesa Stiletto Deuce head w/ 2x12 Mesa 3/4 cab loaded with Mesa Black Shadows.

Girlfriend's apartment: MIM Standard Strat into Analogman King of Tone into 1966 Fender Champ.

Basic rig is

LP goldtop ->

maxon OD-820 ->

bigshot AB/Y box to split signal ->

Soldano HR50+ head and...

fully modded Epiphone Valve Junior head ->

Mesa 4x12 Traditional (stereo) ->

mic'd with 2 sm58's into a mackie 1202-VLZ3 then to my computer for recording.

Although I have a bunch of other guitars, pedals and stuff to add as needed, this rig keeps me happy.

I guess the "rig" aspect includes the guitar too, eh?

I just assumed Gibsons and refrained from listing other guitar brands.

So, let me change mine a little....

VERY simple, after I decide on a guitar.....

:-)

Whatever guitar I'm in the mood for -> Boss TU-2 tuner -> Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12.

I use a Whirlwind A/B/Y splitter when I want to pair up with one of my other amps.

I have an OLD Peavey Musician solid state head/4x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. and a Marshall JCM 800 with a B cab.

A couple shots from my last gig...

pedals2.jpg

rack.jpg

I brought (from left to right) my 2007 ES-339, 2007 GOTW '67 SG Special, 2001 Les Paul Classic Plus, 2007 Danelectro Dano Pro (tuned to open G), 1999 Taylor 312ce.

I run into a Peterson StroboStomp 2 tuner, Dunlop Cry Baby wah, Fulltone FatBoost (mainly for solos), Fulltone Supa Trem, Ibanez RC-99 analog rotary chorus, Dunlop High-Gain volume pedal into a Traynor YCV40 (2 channel tube amp similar to a Fender Hot Rod). I have a footswitch to switch between the clean and dirty channel as well as a boost onthe lead channel. The speaker out from the Traynor runs into a Heil Talk Box then back to the speaker. I also run a Traynor 1x12 extension cabinet (with a Celestion Vintage 30) on the other side of the stage for the drummer. I just picked up a Maxon AD999 analog delay a couple nights ago that will be on my pedal board by next rehearsal. Speaking of pedal boards, I have everything mounted on a Gator GigBox. It's essentially a road case with wheels with storage for cables and other accessories under a removable pedal board, and the removable lid converts into a stand for 3 electrics and one acoustic.

Home: '47 Gibson L-7 or Alvarez classical acoustically (I keep them out on stands for easy access).

Blues Gig: ES-345 (primary) or LP Standard (secondary) wireless to a Music Man 210-65

Acoustic Gig: The '47 L-7 direct to the board

Jazz Gig: L-5 through a 1961 Gibson GA-8 Discoverer

Sorry no pedals, just notes and tone.

Nice rig' date=' GtrJunkie. How do you like the rotary chorus? Good clean? Dirty? It's stereo, right?[/quote']

To be honest, I was always a "guitar - cable - amp" kind of guy until I started gigging again a few months ago. I bought the chorus about 2 years ago and it sat in my closet until the morning of last friday's gig. It was mint/unused in the original box so I didn't really want to mess it up just for rehearsal. I finally figured it was never going to be worth hundreds of dollars and why have it if I was never going to use it. I always used the tremolo for a subtle chorus-type effect, but DAAAAAMN that RC-99 sounds nice. I haven't really tried out everything it can do, but it sounded fantastic clean and the few times I used it on the dirty sound it was pretty cool as well. I don't run stereo so I can't say how that works, but I would imagine it would be freakin' sweet.

How do you like the Fulltone effects?

I've been thinking of getting a few...

Can't say enough good things about them. I plan on swapping the Cry Baby for a Fulltone Clyde Wah soon. They have a couple other pedals I have my eye on as well.

DAAAAAMN that RC-99 sounds nice. I haven't really tried out everything it can do' date=' but it sounded fantastic clean and the few times I used it on the dirty sound it was pretty cool as well. I don't run stereo so I can't say how that works, but I would imagine it would be freakin' sweet.[/quote']

I thought it might sound amazing. I like to use a stereo chorus or delay to create my stereo split. I bet that one would sound lush going stereo. I am using an old Ibanez CS-9 to do the clean stereo thing now, but I think the RC is deeper with more swirl.

07 Std---> Morely Power Wah Volume--> TU-2--> CS-3--> MT-2--> DD-7-->Blues JR.

I also have a Boss PH-3, CE-5, PS-5 and a Chandler Tube Driver when needed. I use pedals like a spice rack... just depends on the dish I am serving up...

I have found that the Les Paul and Fender amp have reduced my need for much more than the distortion and compressor most of the time ](*,)

My ever-changing home rig currently uses two pairs of amps in stereo - one pair for clean (Fender Deluxe Reverb and Epiphone EA26-RVT) and one pair for dirty (Blackheart Little Giant and Orange Tiny Terror).

The signal goes like this...

Guitar> Cry Baby Wah> Morley Tripler switch which feed 3 outs -

output 1 - Dirty sound (usually used with Les Pauls)

VooDoo Lab MicroVibe > VooDoo Lab Overdrive > Fulltone OCD > Original Butler Tube Driver > Digitech X series stereo Delay > Blackheart Little Giant and 2-12 cab on the left/ Orange Tiny Terror and 2-12 cab on the right

output 2 - Clean sound (usually used with Fenders)

Guyatone T2 compressor > Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer > Guyatone FL2 Flanger > Ibanez CS9 Stereo Chorus> 1977 Fender Deluxe Reverb on left and 1966 Epiphone EA26-RVT on left

Output 3 - Fender tuner

It seems more complicated than it is. The two pedal boards and amps are all powered to one strip. I can hit one switch and bring the whole rig up. I'm jamming in 15 seconds. Of course if I go play anywhere, I just bring the Tiny Terror and the "dirty" pedal board or the Deluxe Reverb and the "clean" pedal board as either will suffice quite well on their own.

I play one of the "magnificent seven" through>Boss MT-2>Coffin Blood Drive>Boss Dyna Drive only one pedal on at the time and then on the effects loop I have a Rocktron Short Timer Delay>BBE Sonic Stomp Maximizer. The amp is a Peavey Classic 30 with JJs.

I also have a Epi Valve Junior Head but after the mods I made sound kind of lethargic, I would have guessed that having a slow responding amp would go better with my sucky-sorry-a$$ playing but I actually don't like it much. Maybe I am getting better....nah!

OK, here goes:

Framus Texan 6 (2 of these in varying states, one is perfect and has a Hummingbird knock-off pickguard design.) (Don't laugh, these are incredible acoustic guitars, you just have to have Hands of Steel to play them.)

National Res-O-Lectric Jr, the last one ever made

Gibson Maple-neck Marauder

Takamine EF-400S 12-string

Fender Coronado II (eat that, all you ES-335 players!)

Martin Jimmy Buffett D-18

2 Martin Jimmy Buffett 000s (one Polywog, one shellback)

Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty 57 Historic Collection 3-PU

Strat Plus Deluxe, w. Lace Sensor pickups

Morgan single-cutaway 6, custom made (Vancouver, BC., all curly maple.)

Schecter Diamond Series w. 2 Duncan Designed humbuckers

Amps: Tech 21 Trademark 120, Fender 69 Twin Reverb, Fender Performer 1000 (being sold if I can find anyone that wants it.)

Synths: Roland VG-99, Korg Z-3, Roland VG-8, GR-33 and GR-1.

Effects: Digitech Whammy 2, RP-100 that I won from Jennifer Batten, 2 Alesis Quadraverbs (my faves) Boss ce-3 chorus, Digitech JamMan, Boss CS-3 compressor/sustainer, Aphex Xciter (electric and Acoustic)

I run most of it through an iMac with Logic 2, and there's a Korg M1 kb just for MIDI sounds.

And people wonder why I don't go out much...I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

My rig is fairly simple for budget reasons... My moded studio into a super comp(which doesnt come on much), than into crybaby(mister), then to my rack tuner, and jcm 900 2x12 (v30s) amp. in the back of the amp i have a tc g-sharp. simple rig for most of my use, and i love the sound.

So my rig is...

Gibson les paul 1958-->Ernie Ball jr vol-->Zvex fuzz factory-->tu-2 tuner--> Boss PH-3(Phaser)-->Boss tap tempo-->Boss DD-5--> Jekyll & Hyde to a straight clean signal Fender Cyber Deluxe amp. Yeah...yeah i know not the greatest amp but it does have a good clean signal and goes good with the pedals I have. I also have a dunlop tremolo but am looking to sell it as everything lately i plug it in my guitar just doesnt sound the same and seems to not be as clear and volume drop even when pedal is off. Im looking at getting the Cusack Tap-O-Whirl tremolo. I also plan on getting a keeley compressor, and one more overdrive. A second delay would be nice as well i like the green line 6 delay but have heard but reviews on the dependability factor of it.

My rig is fairly simple for budget reasons... My moded studio into a super comp(which doesnt come on much)' date=' than into crybaby(mister), then to my rack tuner, and jcm 900 2x12 (v30s) amp. in the back of the amp i have a tc g-sharp. simple rig for most of my use, and i love the sound. [/quote']

"Budget" or not, that's a very respectable rig, Joe; you could play just about any room with that.

"Budget" or not' date=' that's a very respectable rig, Joe; you could play just about any room with that.[/quote']

If it makes you feel any better, the only room I play is my living room.

I'm a two-string, power chord hack driving my neighbors and wife crazy with my "collection."

I've only played a handful of gigs in my life, but I got purty guitars.....

I commend you guys that can really play.

Archived