Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Rig?

littlekenny

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little late.

Les Paul or Strat or my Ibanez -> Modifed VOX wah (love it) -> AMP

I use a MESA Boogie Rectifier head through a 4 x 12 closed back MESA slant cab. For Clean i either use a VT22 100watt Ampeg or for Shows the clean on the Mesa which has no feel on it and it too crisp, but for the stage it ok. I also have a JCM 900 head as a back up for the MESA.

PODxt (Should have gotten the LIVE i have no idea what i was thinking) for Effects and Tuner. and Studio work...and home practice. (man i love this thing)

I want to sell the MESA and get somthing else. I have tried the ENGL amps and they are pretty sweet can do alot more then with the Rectifier...i may also send the Rectifier to Voodoo amp to get modded.

Weapon of Choice will either be my '08 White LP Custom or my Customized '05 AM Strat, depending on what I'm looking to do.

That gets hooked up into a BBE Sonic Maximizer (When I need that extra... you know) -> Visual Sounds H2O -> MXR ZW Overdrive (Only used with Stp Covers and other low end stuff, lol) -> Visual Sounds Jeckyl & Hyde (Generic Distortion) -> DOD Death Metal Distortion (I use this the most, but I don't crank it, so it sounds very 80's)

All of this gets fed into my Fender Princeton Reverb (The reissue, but not the new-new one. Mine is the one with the built in attenuater).

Thats the rig, but there is plenty more I leave out!

I want to get that Theta G-String Decimator pedal. I get a lot of noise from the ZW when I use it in certain combos and that sucker supposedly shuts it up.

My setup changes quite a bit usually tube amp only so the standard is usually

Home-studio

Les Paul

Zvex - Fuzz Factory

Zvex - Box of Rock

Marshall Studio 15 or a heavily modded Epi valve junior with built in attenuator

Lately however I have really gotten into fractional amps

So a Zvex Nano Amp 1/2 watt into a old Marshall 1x12 cabinet or a Little Lanai fractional 1/4 watt with a 61/2 inch speaker that sound much bigger at home volume

When I'm out the studio 15 get's upgraded usually to my Marshall

have more pedals than I know what to do with so slowly working on an all Moollon pedal set-up and another all Zvex

Well, I no longer have my Goldtop, but I still have it's lowly cousin, so I guess it counts, here goes:

Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul Classic

FX Chain: Guitar into Zoom 505II, into an old Arion Stereo Delay, into an old MXR Distortion+

Amp: circa '90's Marshall VS100RH Halfstack with footswitch, usually set to clean for FX chain

I then take the Marshall, and mic it into the rhythm section amp (Crate B20), which also has my Zoom MRS8 plugged in for drumz 'n bass. I then mic THAT amp into a 10 watt Drive for use as a monitor, when I do that, it fills the room with sound which is pleasing to my ear, and no feedback either!

Hi, mine is a little simpler this days (and have been for months since buying the AC30... the tone quest ended there... have sold a lot of stuff since that day (Amp GAS is over))

Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (I hardly use my other guitars either since buying the Gibson... see a pettern here?)

Boss TU-2 Tunner.

Marshall The Guv'nor Plus (Ok, for one that isnt too much into Marshalls, I gotta admit, this little thing gives any tube amp with a good clean tone the marshall dirty tone... dont use on SS amps... it will suck! I tried it on 5 different SS amps).

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone "Marshall-Boogie" mod (which makes it less "bee sounding" and takes away 10% of the unnecessary gain, so it end up giving you sounds from Marshalls at higher gain, to Soldanos at higher gain (using a tube amp, if you run him through a SS it may be a little too fizzy).

VOX AC30 cc2x... I love this amp. Into the FX loop goes the delay unit.

Boss DD20 Giga delay... best thing I've bought pedalwise, I have a patch set up for vibrato, and three for short, medium and long delay.

Depending on the mood I play Other guitars (Peavey Wolfgang custom, Epi Special specially moded, used to play some fenders that I sold recently, a Les Paul Studio, a Jackson, and an old washburn that has coil spliting for the bridge humbucker), some other effect units including multifx like the boss GT-8 and ME50, a electroharmonix metal muff, and some pedals I dont even remember... throug a Peavey Valveking or through an old marshall head (when I want to play one of my cabs) but those heads arent "pedal friendly", the delay sounds harsh there).

Lots of cabs... my place is cab paradise.

For home use I have my modded Epi and a VOX Pathfinder running into a 1x12 75W cab (loaded with an Eminence The Governor speaker), or into a very good sounding pair of headphones.

Gibson les paul classic custom

Gibson SG faded

Epiphone les paul classic G7 string (heavily moded)

Fender G-strat (heavily modded)

guitar into:

vox wah, modded true bypass

Master loop box, sub loop 1: GUYATONE SV-2

sub loop 2: EH HOG, Moogerfooger MF-107, MF-101, MF-102 (and CP-251)

sub loop 3: MF-103, MF-104Z, MF-105

sub loop 4: EH BASS BALLS, KORG DT-10

gain loop / switch, loop: FULLTONE OCD, ANALOGMAN TUBE SCREAMER (TS9DX)

Amp:

Traynor YCV40WR, with extn cab, MXR M-108, and BBE sonic stomp in FX loop.

Planet waves cables throughout, and Voodoo lab PP2P supplying power to all.

Master loop area: I change the order in here regularly, but this is the basic set-up for "plug and play". I have 4 pedal boards that I treat as sections. Sometimes they all go with me, sometimes only on of em goes!!!

Hey' date=' Neo, there's gotta be a story behind that 12-string SG. [/quote']

Well, there is a story but I know very little of it.

My dealer in Phoenix bought over 100 pieces out of a private collection from a guy with a winter home here.

His collection of over 700 guitars was split between here and New York, and he sold his house here.

Many of the pieces they got were guitars they had originally sold him.

Relics, Reissues, Custom Shop, even a few prototype guitars. Lotsa odd, rare and collectible guitars.

This 12 string SG just happened to be in the two truckloads of guitars they hauled in.

There was no story with it, just a guitar in a case among 100 others.

There were a few made in the Custom Shop but they used a production body with a special neck.

Mine is VERY different, has a neck from an EDS 1275 double neck set in a very odd body to preserve scale length.

Gibson has sh!t for records on it, other than it was made in 1995 - and NOT in the Custom Shop.

The assumption is an employee made it for himself, or it was a quick one-off for a celebrity.

I got it appraised by Walter Carter at Gruhn's, he was able to provide alot more info from his years at Gibson.

Condition isn't 100% with some hardware oxidation, and some finish wear with a couple nicks on the body.

Walter himself said it might be worth much more if there were more of them out there to judge the market.

THAT'S why I keep saying it's the only one in the world.

I'm hoping somebody will challenge me with another one and I can learn more about these....

I don't gig anymore so...

Lester into TS-9 into Kustom Quad. I know its SS but the clean is really clean and the TS-9 dirtys it up just enough.

Tele into the Crate V15 tube amp - no pedals

Gretsch ans Ibby into the Kustom for jazz tones

Either the Southern Jumbo or Alvarez when i'm in an acoustic mood

SG into the Crate for rock and roll

2636099679_5aed572ce8.jpg?v=0

Boss TU-2 tuner -> Whirlwind A/B/Y splitter -> Fender Hot Rod DeVille/Marshall JCM 800 with a B cab.

Fender Blues Jr. for different stuff as the mood strikes.

I also have an OLD Peavey Musician solid state head/4x12 cab, and an OLD Crate B 200XL bass head/2x15 cab.

Umm Umm Good! Just had a delicious Coronado II for dinner. Good Fender seasoning! Just kidding, Navion. You have a very fine guitar there!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rig:

1. 63 ES-335, Boss GT-6 ( took a full year to master) stereo to original pair of my high school Fender 65 Twins.

2. a guitar (I match volume with each pedal in or out) to Crybaby>Boss EQ for settings>compressor>original Rat>Boss Delay> Chorus> and a 2nd Boss EQ at flat setting for final volume matching before hitting amp> original still standing 65 Super Reverb. I like to recall my guitar in use and amp(s) are also EQs & volume pedals themselves, and make good use of their controls.

Steve

Les Paul Std/digitech whammy 2/digitech digi delay/digitech df-7/dunlop cry baby/Vox ADV50T

Or straight to my blues junior

Right now I'm on the road so I have:

Fender american std Strat/Line 6 pocket pod/bose headphones

I'm a living room rack star on guitar. My gigging bass rig uses some of the same pedals.

Gibson Little Lucille Blueshawk or '59 Melody Maker single pup-->

Homemade loop switch-->

Loop 1--> Boss TU-2

Loop 2--> DOD 250 reissue overdrive--> Sovtek Big Muff green monster--> Boss ML-2-->

2nd homemade loop switch-->

Loop 1--> BYOC mkII Tonebender fuzz

Loop 2--> Boss HF-2--> EHX Small Clone--> EHX Holy Grail-->

BBE Sonic Stomp-->

Either an Epiphone Valve Jr head (heavily modded) or

Soultone amps Marshall 2061x head clone

-->

Epiphone Valve Jr 1x12 with Eminence Swamp Thang 8ohm speaker

Archived