Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar smell?

corcoran

Hello Epiphone!

I just got my guitar back from a friend. It was my sheraton and he's made it horribly smelly.

It smells like dried up sweat. I'm guessing he gigged it once and just left it in the case all sweaty. It smells like a subway station.

I just wanna know how I can get rid of the stink.

On top of that, that idiot also left the frets a bit rusty. There's spots on the frets. I tried just wiping it with water and towel. Nothing happened.

Help me out!!

Hello Epiphone!

I just got my guitar back from a friend. It was my sheraton and he's made it horribly smelly.

It smells like dried up sweat. I'm guessing he gigged it once and just left it in the case all sweaty. It smells like a subway station.

I just wanna know how I can get rid of the stink.

On top of that' date=' that idiot also left the frets a bit rusty. There's spots on the frets. I tried just wiping it with water and towel. Nothing happened.

Help me out!![/quote'] You're from NY .... have him killed ](*,)

Is this common in Brooklyn? I lent a guitar to my friend in Brooklyn' date=' and she gave it back, but I haven't even looked at it yet. Should I be concernced?[/quote']

I don't know. He's borrowed it for a year. And he hasn't taken good care of it. Depends on what type of person your lending the guitar to haha.

But I gotta get that dang smell it's really strong haha.

Your're from NY .... have him killed ](*[/quote']

After I get my money back =D

Spray it with FeBreze. Or just let it 'air' out.

As to the frets, get some 0000 steel wool and they'll shine up good as new. This will also get the grunge (if any) off the fingerboard. You can then apply a bit of lemon oil to the fingerboard; coat it liberally, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it off. Your fingerboard will look great.

Spray it with FeBreze. Or just let it 'air' out.

As to the frets' date=' get some 0000 steel wool and they'll shine up good as new. This will also get the grunge (if any) off the fingerboard. You can then apply a bit of lemon oil to the fingerboard; coat it liberally, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it off. Your fingerboard will look great.[/quote']

Same suggestion from me. Is the smell "emanating" from the case and transferring onto

the guitar? IE: did someone "wee-wee" in the case?

Sounds like the condition I got my S-500 back in.

More than likely it sat in a damp basemant untouched for that year.

Anywho...fine steel wool on the frets will work good, like RocanX said.

The smell is probably mildew. If Febreeze doesnt work, you may have to dissasemble it and clean out the inside as well. I cleaned mine with WD-40 inside and out. I dont necessarliy endorse that method, but it worked for me.

Febreeze worked great. And the Steel wool worked great.

But the smell exterior smells great. When I take a sniff in the F-holes, I still smell the whiz thats eating up the natural wood smell. Okay to spray a bit of febreeze in the f-hole?

Thanks lots guys!

I don't really like fabreze. It also leaves a slight odor behind that is hard to get rid of.Indeed it does get rid of the offending odors but i don't like the residual odor. Sprying it inside your guitar would let it possibly absorb into the wood. What I have done with this type of proble is get an ionizer/air purification system and leave it in a room for the prescribed amount of time and take it slowly until those odors are gone. This also requires careful use of certain solutions on the guitar body that won't penetrate too deeply into the wood/finish. I can tell you it works. For me it has solved problems of smoke, cat piss (one that really takes it toll and penetrates deeply), and even chemicals (such as fabreze) that have been used to try and get rid of odors and finish issues.

Archived