Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod Resonance Problem

Toner

I know they use a PVC tube over them when they are installed. It could be that it would dampen any vibrations that could cause problems. The fix maybe as simple as going to 9's' date=' instead of 10's, because there is less physical energy from the thinner string.[/quote']

Sounds like you have found the natural frequency. You mention the PVC tube is used when the truss rod is installed. As a tech, you would know far better than me, but if the PVC guide tube has a crack it would explain why you are getting vibration at a single location. I would not go with the liquid setting material, next to impossible to control the correct quantity, and you can't reverse the process if you use too much. Though your idea of deadening has merit. Consider using wadding, a small amount of wool could dampen the vibration enough without changing the properties of the neck. Good luck.

PS Where in Phoenix do you tech?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo stoner. A new look on a real problem from another when you are going nuts on a problem is always good. Listen, If you think your truss rod is doing the tuning fork dance thing cancelling out a certain note, then take off the truss rod cover and ever soo slightly jam something up on the truss rod nut and the neck wood and stop the damn thing from doing its annoying dance. So you can keep your 10's that I personally perfer with the heavy bottom strings from erie ball. They really are a big differance from the regual 9's and bring out the best in a short 24 3/4 scale paul. Just do man and let me know how it turns out, it should stop it from vibrating

Yeah, I realize that I may not find an easy solution, and I really dont want to change tuners either. When I ordered this guitar from Gibson in '98, I asked for a "Not Too Light/Resonant wood" because I wanted the sustain. I have other guitars that I made, and they have notes that will sustain into second harmonics unpluged, but they do it in a good way, after the fundamental note plays as it should. I'm a self employed tech.

Sounds like you have found the natural frequency. You mention the PVC tube is used when the truss rod is installed. As a tech' date=' you would know far better than me, but if the PVC guide tube has a crack it would explain why you are getting vibration at a single location. I would not go with the liquid setting material, next to impossible to control the correct quantity, and you can't reverse the process if you use too much. Though your idea of deadening has merit. Consider using wadding, a small amount of wool could dampen the vibration enough without changing the properties of the neck. Good luck.

PS Where in Phoenix do you tech?[/quote'] Yo Silverbursted dude, what's-cha got in your photo, It's not a gibby. What's that a fender heartfeild made in japan, I had a R-9 in black with metalic flake an a emg with boost.

Perhaps a piece of wadded up cloth pressed underneath the truss rod cover and against the screw to dampen the end of the truss rod might be enough. It'd be easy to try, invisible and noninvasive even if it doesn't work.

Yo Silverbursted dude' date=' what's-cha got in your photo, It's not a gibby. What's that a fender heartfeild made in japan, I had a R-9 in black with metalic flake an a emg with boost.[/quote']

It's an Ibanez RG550 25th Anneversary Reissue. Just got it for my son last week.

Cuda' date=' the only jamming I'm gonna do is with the music, not the guitar's TR nut.[/quote'] How-ya gone-a jam without your "C" note, but for a couple of "C" notes ( ya-know chicago slang for a hundred bucks) I'll get-ya ****ed-up enough to forget-a-bout-it.

Cuda' date=' the only jamming I'm gonna do is with the music, not the guitar's TR nut.[/quote']Clamp a block of wood to the headstock and see if it does anything...?

A tuner change may help,but I wouldn't want to drill new holes, Maybe you can make Kluson- Grover adapter plates...???? -K

I did clamp a small 1" C-Clamp to the headstock were the Gibson logo is and the note played fine. Then to see how much mass I need to add to the headstock I tapped some nickels(5 grams ea.) and three of them just got me there. Now I'm wondering how to add 15 grams of weight to the headstock. Maybe hide some shims behind the tuners? Or add some metal under the tuner bushings?

I did clamp a small 1" C-Clamp to the headstock were the Gibson logo is and the note played fine. Then to see how much mass I need to add to the headstock I tapped some nickels(5 grams ea.) and three of them just got me there. Now I'm wondering how to add 15 grams of weight to the headstock. Maybe hide some shims behind the tuners? Or add some metal under the tuner bushings?

Or just leave those nickels on there! ](*,)

Well look at that. You learn something new every day. I was thinking, and I don't know if this is possible, that the truss rod channel was maybe a bit too big allowing the truss rod to vibrate more freely than it might otherwise be able to???

How about one of those tuners that clamp onto the headstock?

Find a silver (or something) symbol you like, and screw it to the truss rod cover screws. You could also make a metal truss rod cover.

Adam Jones has a similar problem on a 79 silverburst, and a decorative touch was added to the headstock... I tried to find the pic, but to no avail...

Good ideas guys, except for AXE's. A metal TR cover sounds like it will work. I'm looking at jewelry supply places for some thick sheet stock. I could use brass and paint it black and white to look more original. The tuner/capo ideas would work too. Thanks

Hey toner 2 questions:

1. Wouldn't the truss rod resonate at a certain frequency regardless so therefore every guitar would have the problem you are encountering, just at a different note??

2. Given your knowledge about resonance and sustain, how do you come out on the debate about chambered/non-chambered/swisscheese.? You mentioned that when you bought the guitar you asked for a lighter weight that would improve sustain,this gives me some clues.

Hey toner 2 questions:

1. Wouldn't the truss rod resonate at a certain frequency regardless so therefore every guitar would have the problem you are encountering' date=' just at a different note??

2. Given your knowledge about resonance and sustain, how do you come out on the debate about chambered/non-chambered/swisscheese.? You mentioned that when you bought the guitar you asked for a lighter weight that would improve sustain,this gives me some clues.

[/quote']

My first guess was a truss rod problem. Removing the nut/washer, and finding no change, has me now realizing that it is, in fact, the necks resonance that is the problem. Weight relieving the body is OK, and just brings the guitar more into an acoustic type of tone, which will lessen sustain. I asked for a "not too light" R7 that would have better sustain.

Archived