Gibson Brands Forums

Strap or No Strap

Thawk Dean

I'm an absolute newbie/novice/beginner. I've been at this for about 2 months with the help of my "coach". I have not been using a strap. I've felt sitting with the guitar on my lap was easier to see the fret board and "peak" at my fingering. I just decided to try a strap. It seems easier for strumming than having it sit on my lap. The guitar is in a particular place and I don't have to hold on to it with my right strumming arm. Has anyone had this same experience? what are your thoughts?

Also, when I registered a few days ago, I was asked to post some pics of my 1991 Epi PR350E. It's my first and probably the last one I'll own, so I'm really happy with it. BUT, how do I get pics posted on this forum?

If you prefer to strap, then strap. I strap when I sit or stand. The guitar, when I'm seated, is off my lap. That way no matter whether I sit or stand the guit tar is always in the same place, relative to my belly button. That's the key to developing muscle memory for fretting and strumming, not changing things up: Sitting, the guit tar is here. Standing, it is here.

Never could get the hang of a 'jazz' style of sitting with the body off to one's side. But, if that works for some folks, then so be it.

hurm, from my tought, play sitting is more comfortable and clean then standing.

strap not effect ur play.

and 1 more things you will not look cool when strap the guitar too high.

just be like slash!

its cool!

Strap when standing, no strap (necessary) when sitting. You might also consider using a little stool for your left foot so you can shift the guitar to your left knee - it really takes the strain off the back if you're practicing for long stretches.

We had a funny thread going about this awhile back, lemme see if I can find it...

Here it is: http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=9218

I've been using the strap for the last few days and find that standing OR sitting makes playing easier for me if I use the strap. I'm now trying to find the best position for it. I may wind up with 2 positions; one for standing and one for sitting.

Thanks for the insight on having it "slung low" to look cool. BUT, I'm a "closet" player so no one but ME hears me much less SEES me.

I just can't really play sitting down. Feels unnatural. Probably the result of having spent too many decades playing in a rock band.

But do whatever you find comfortable - there is no wrong or right way. One of the things I love about playing music.

Gotta be honest - I am a strap snob. I love things like those handmade Brookfield straps. Will an "el cheapo" one do ya just as good on a acoustic - probably. But there is just something about that hand tooled leather that gets to me.

If you are a right handed player place the guitar on your left leg when seated. It simulates standing position' date=' this is good practice for playing out .it gets you used to not looking at the fretboard[/quote']

I know what you mean about not "looking". since I've started strappng/standing. I can't "peak". it's forced me to be better at my fingering positions. Also, at 60, my eyesight doesn't let me peak either!!

As I said I don't use straps when at home, since mostly I 'm sitting...or laying down. Yeah...I'm lazy. But try adjusting the starp a bit shorter ...brings the guitar to your comfort zone. Some guitars I have for me work best when they are lower and some higher. Try different levels and see what that does for you.

...and you look at that neck all you want Mr. Dean sir. It's all about how you sound...what ever it takes. Looking or not looking at a neck of a guitar will not make you any better or any worse of a player. Rhythmic feel, timing....that's what's going to make or break you.

I've been using the strap for the last few days and find that standing OR sitting makes playing easier for me if I use the strap. I'm now trying to find the best position for it. I may wind up with 2 positions; one for standing and one for sitting.

Absolutely not. One position leads to less confusion for your arm/ hand muscles.

Thanks for the insight on having it "slung low" to look cool. BUT' date=' I'm a "closet" player so no one but ME hears me much less SEES me.[/quote']

Wrong, WRONG, WRONG!

Anytime you put any value on how holding a guit tar looks labels you a "poser". You are a guit tar player first and foremost. Hang the guit tar from your shoulder in a way that best fits your playing style for accuracy and ease of playing

Leave the posing to the "posers: Air Guit tarists, drummers and GuitarZero nubbins.

Not to worry, TommyK. "POSING" is something I'll leave to Those that are worried about how they look. At 60, that's the last thing I'll worry about. I'm only interested in learning my new hobby for myself.

I agree. I need to find a position with the strap that will keep the guitar in a common position whether I'm sitting or standing. Right now carrying it a bit high with the strap seems to do the trick. I can play without trying to hang on to the guitar.

Thanks fo rthe encouragement!!!

T'hawk Dean wrote:

It's my first and probably the last one I'll own' date=' so I'm really happy with it.

Wanna Bet =D> [/quote']

No doubts there, Guitars are worse than crack......... O:)

Sweet Jeeebus! Sledge. That intake looks like it belongs on an F-16. That a Dodge?

Yep' date=' 67 Dodge Coronet (kind of Epi sounding 8-[ ) that scoop is the correct scoop for that car btw.

You need air to feed 600 hp [img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Sledge_57/Smilies/punkrocka.gif[/img] (not quite stock, think of it as a highly modded Valve Jr)

I often have a fair amount of back pain on my lower, right side and and am confident it is from years of sitting improperly while playing*. I now only stand with a strap.

*I am also guilty of playing improperly while sitting. O:)

Yep' date=' 67 Dodge Coronet (kind of Epi sounding :- ) that scoop is the correct scoop for that car btw.

You need air to feed 600 hp [img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Sledge_57/Smilies/punkrocka.gif[/img] (not quite stock, think of it as a highly modded Valve Jr)

Yeah... I figured it was correctly sized. Just amazed at how much different they build cars these days. When my daughter was courting a new fellow, he pulled up in our drive way for the first time. I was in the living room with the window open and could not see the drive way. I said, "That's a V-8." Daugher said, "A V-8? how can you tell?" "Yup," I said, "a V-8 motor. I like him already." Hadn't heard a V-8 in an automobile in a while. They have their own special cadence. It was a 1976 Olds Rocket 98 (This was in 2002). 455 4bbl. She eventually dumped him. After the 'honeymoon' died down, I grew to dislike him as well.

If you are a right handed player place the guitar on your left leg when seated. It simulates standing position' date=' this is good practice for playing out .it gets you used to not looking at the fretboard[/quote'] That's personal opinion (as are most things guitar related), not an absolute. I feel if I have the guit on my left leg, it's more perpindicular than when it's on my right leg - and I feel I suffer no ill effects from sitting with it on my right leg and standing with a good strap. Whatever works for someone is what works.

Archived