Gibson Brands Forums

Need help. Real or Fake? *Warning - 14 Pictures*

echyfingers

Hi guys,

Would definitely appreciate your help here. I'm getting my first guitar and chanced upon this lovely looking guitar but I cannot tell whether it is a fake! It claims to be a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ebony. It's serial number suggest that the guitar was made in China in March 2005. I have read about identifying fake Epiphones from multiple sources and I still cannot be certain whether this is genuine. If you guys can help and have a quick look at the pictures and share with me your opinions on why it is a fake (or real), that will be much appreciated (not to mention you will earn karma points!). :D/

Thank you kind souls for looking!

DSC01194.jpg

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

DSC01200.jpg

DSC01201.jpg

DSC01201.jpg

DSC01203.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

Cheers,

Echy

Well, I'm no expert, but it looks like a very nice guitar to me. And looks legit. I see nothing that sends off alarms.

It would be helpful to know the asking price however. And where did you see this, ebay? Craigslist? If from ebay it's important to look at feedback and other things.

But from the pics, and not knowing the asking price, it looks good to me.

Welcome to the forum!

Hmmmm... tricky. From what I can tell the knob positions are weird. The volume usually isn't right under the bridge like that but a bit off to the side (look at Brad's avatar above this post - see how the closest volume knob on his blue LP isn't directly under the bridge but off to the right? That's more typical positioning). Also the peg holding the A string seems a bit too close to the edge of the headstock. Could just be lazy Epi factory work but I doubt it, it's not a common mistake that's made. I'm not 100% though.

The scratch plate has been removed. Seeing the original plate (if it still exists) would help determine.

It would also be good to see a photo of the part of the headstock containing the serial number.

I wouldn't buy based only on what I've seen, too risky.

Initially, the Horn shape is correct (lots of fake epis have horns

that are a bit too pointy), and I would Love to see a pic of the

inside of the control cavity so I can compare the wiring with the two

"bought from dealer" epis I have. Regarding the volume knob closest to the

tailpiece, it seems a bit high being almost directly across from the tailpiece,

but I've also learned that there are variances in factory tolerances as to

where the holes are drilled.

Brad makes good point - is the asking price "too good to be true"? And

where will it ship from?

I'll throw 2 pix up of my Epis, note knob position next to tailpiece...

100_0308.jpg

100_0205.jpg

Yeah, the knobs are different from mine too...other than that, it looks legit. Although I'm kinda leary about the Chinese Customs anyway, some of them have necks made out of Agathis, which I'm told isn't a very good material for neck making. I dunno, I'd compare it with a legit one at a dealer if printing the pictures you have is possible for you to do, I'd do that, and bring them to an Epiphone dealer and compare what you have to what they have, really the only way to be sure. A lot of trouble, I know, but like I said...only way to be sure...

and I would Love to see a pic of the

inside of the control cavity so I can compare the wiring with the two

"bought from dealer" epis I have.

Along those lines, does the underside of the Epiphone humbuckers have any markings that would help in determining whether real or fake?

Along those lines' date=' does the underside of the Epiphone humbuckers have any markings that would help in determining whether real or fake? [/quote']

I agree. It's not necessary to remove the strings - I just gradually

loosen string tension, then slide a piece of cardboard underneath, loosen a bit more,

more cardboard, again and again until I have a "tent" that allows me to unscrew

pups and carefully slide out and look. Then just reverse process on reinstall,

Haven't had a string break yet as a result of this process...

Looking at the back of the PUPs and inside the control and switch cavities would reaveal a lot.

Some of the parts may be stamped Epiphone, and the PUPs definitely should be.

BTW, next time you restring it, turn the bridge around, it's on backwards.

It will then need to be re-intonated too.

Authentic or forgery, it's looks like a nicely made guitar.

My only comments would be that the top doesn't look quite right. There should be more of a flat area around the perimeter of the body before the archtop starts. It might just be reflections, but this body looks very rounded on all the edges with little or no flat area at all.

The bridge looks to be very straight compared to the tailpeice.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all your replies. The knob does look quite dodgy. I looked up for pictures on the net and avatars of the guitars in here and none has the volume knob in-line with the bridge. Most pictures I found of Les Pauls has similar knob position as shown in pictures by animalfarm. The diamond in-lay does sit quite low as well.

With regards to the pricing, I'm not sure. Its off a listing on eBay and current bid price is $250.

Well, I guess I'm not feeling as confident as before on purchasing this guitar. Hence, I will not be bidding on it.

I do have another question. From my findings, I learned that the "h" in the "Epiphone" logo should never be under the point arch in the headstock. However, I think it does vary? Some seem to sit just next to the center line and some sit a bit further to the right. Is it normal for it to vary?

You guys have just been a helpful bunch. Once again thanks! Power to you guys!

"From my findings, I learned that the "h" in the "Epiphone" logo should never be under the point arch in the headstock. However, I think it does vary? Some seem to sit just next to the center line and some sit a bit further to the right. Is it normal for it to vary?"

I believe it varies between different mfg's over the years.

On the guitar you're looking at, the position of the "Epiphone" logo is quite good, with the tip of the "h" just a little to the right of the middle of the headstock. That's the way it should be on an LP Custom. The things that look suspicious to me are:

* diamond inlay too low

* peg that holds the 'a' string is too close to the edge of the headstock

* volume knobs not in the right position

but most of all

* it's an epi custom on ebay for $250

also the bridge is on back to front (lol) and there is no scratch plate (although there obviously was one because I can see the hole where it was removed) so it's worth asking why and if it came like that. Also ask him where he got the guitar and also if that case he got is the original case (because it sure doesn't look like it - Epi cases look a lot nicer than that). It's possible that the owner genuinely doesn't know he has a fake guitar, but it far more likely that he does know and now he just wants to get rid of the damn thing.

What do you mean by backwards? Are the saddle adjustment screws easier to get to from the pickup side on a Les Paul?

It may not be "backwards" (upside down), lots of bridges(Mainly Gibsons) were made to face that direction..........look at the grooves in the individual saddles........fat grooves for fat strings, narrower grooves for smaller strings

EDIT: nevermind, I just saw the closeup, it's upside down............

The customs knobs from what i noticed on other guitars I seen at the store are like that, regular standard lespauls the knobs are off to an angle most at least. I asked one of the guys at the store he really didnt seem to know why its like that. You dont see that on gibsons.Epiphone might have bad quality on that, I see the knobs off alot on diff. guitars, or might be a lot of fakes out there. I seen on the website the customs are differant.

What do you mean by backwards? Are the saddle adjustment screws easier to get to from the pickup side on a Les Paul?

I've found it easier to adjust the screws if the screwdriver doesn't keep sticking to the magnets in the pickup.

Upside down, right side up, whatever floats yer boat is right for you!

Archived