Gibson Brands Forums

No Way This Is Authentic . . . But Epiphone Could Take a Hint

mgrasso

Found this on e-bay.

Suspect Epiphone Les Paul Custom on E-Bay

I know the serial number looks wrong and other than the fact that Epiphone does not use any exotic woods for their Pauls, this cannot be legit.

But, I would take another look if Epiphone decided to do a few limited run LP Customs with exotic wood.

I love figured woods on archtops, and would love one on a Les Paul.

Opinions?

Just discovered a bunch of potential fakes for sale online here.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1456734&mcat=0343-

$599? But how can they be so cheap? Fake obviously. A genuine article is about 3 times that in store, which has the buying power to bring them in at excellent prices. I hardly think one guy can buy a bunch of guitars cheaper than a music store chain, and sell them at a price to still make a profit. Sign #1 that they're knock offs to me.

No actual pictures, just examples. And most of the pics are of Gibsons, but the title and description clearly state Epiphone.

One listing for a 'Les Paul Custom' depicts an LP with P90s, not the humbuckers it should have, and is said to have in the description.

Some of his other listings are dodgy too, super cheap cellphones, probably knock offs too. And a car he is selling is said to have alloy wheels, they sure look like steel wheels to me!

I know the serial number looks wrong and other than the fact that Epiphone does not use any exotic woods for their Pauls' date=' this cannot be legit.

Opinions?

[/quote']

The shape looks inaccurate too. Epiphone hasn't used those tuners since the 90s. The Epiphone logo on the case sure looks inaccurate too. I don't believe Epiphone has ever used those control knobs Similar ones on the Prophecey's but not hte same. And since when does an Epiphone Les Paul come with a braided lead, strings and a strap?

Found this on e-bay.

I know the serial number looks wrong and other than the fact that Epiphone does not use any exotic woods for their Pauls' date=' this cannot be legit.

But, I would take another look if Epiphone decided to do a few limited run LP Customs with exotic wood.

Opinions?

[/quote']

I've sent the seller a question asking to verify if they make this for Epiphone or if they customized and Epiphone. Said I couldn't tell from there write-up, whcih I actually couldn't tell. It seems he's stating that he/they are making under the watchful eye of Epiphone. Hmmm. Looking forward to their response.

Even Agile does the spalty thing. Looks better than Gibson's swamp ash and smartwood things.

al3000natspalted5a.jpg

EDIT: Someone beat me to it. That's what happens when I don't turn my head upside down to read the headstock.

Hey Jeff, glad you're still paying attention. Still prefer the Cheney/Evil Alien avatar...

This makes for interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shine_Guitars

I know a WIKI cannot be trusted as a reliable source but it seems that even Shine Guitars has a 300 employee factory in China who purportedly supply Ibanez, Epiphone and Peavey.

Here's the Korean home site for Shine guitars:

http://www.saein.co.kr/

Wouldn't it be great if all the big name parent companies who sell mid to budget end guitars within their ranges all had to provide full details of exactly where these guitars are made and by whom?

I'm starting to think that the quality coming out of China is about the same whatever you buy. However, the price of an unofficial version reflects the lack of involvement of a parent company riding on the history of their brand name and taking a nice big slice of the pie to boot. In China brand names don't matter and there are probably no laws to stop anybody using a particular brand name without authorisation. That's why we have what we have.

Found this on e-bay.

Opinions?

[/quote']

FAKE

But very pretty!

Just discovered a bunch of potential fakes for sale online here.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1456734&mcat=0343-

$599? But how can they be so cheap? Fake obviously. A genuine article is about 3 times that in store' date=' which has the buying power to bring them in at excellent prices. I hardly think one guy can buy a bunch of guitars cheaper than a music store chain, and sell them at a price to still make a profit. Sign #1 that they're knock offs to me.

No actual pictures, just examples. And most of the pics are of Gibsons, but the title and description clearly state Epiphone.

One listing for a 'Les Paul Custom' depicts an LP with P90s, not the humbuckers it should have, and is said to have in the description.

Some of his other listings are dodgy too, super cheap cellphones, probably knock offs too. And a car he is selling is said to have alloy wheels, they sure look like steel wheels to me! [/quote']

Just clicked on and it stated there were no items for sale by this seller!

While looking for pix of Spalted Top Les Pauls' date=' stumbled

across Ed Roman's website after clicking on a pic... Have

heard varying opinions, but take a look-see, this is some

rather good work. Midiman? You're in Vegas, right?

[/quote']

Yep, animal ... I am. Ed Roman's distain for Gibson is pretty legendary. He also has chioce words for PRS and Fender too, among others ... he is a man of great talent and strong opinions. That said, he makes a damn fine guitar too. Visiting his store is quite an experience ... it sure ain't a Guitar Center, but that sword cuts both ways too.

I don't really know about these refinished Gibby's. For some reason, all of the fancy tops and dragon inlays up the fretboard make them look like Chinese fakes to me ... and I am well known for my penchant for "blingy" guitars! There's just something about a plain top Gibson that is classy ... but that spalted maple from Agile is awfully nice too. I've heard that not all of the Rondo tops are as nice or as book-matched as the ones in the pictures, however. These are not photo tops, so there are bound to be some that are nicer looking than others ...

Jim

Archived