Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for an SG?

Angusthegod

Guest icantbuyafender

I'd say $160, then haggle to $150

sorry but epi's dont fetch much buddy. Even with gibby grovers. any g400 has grovers....

Guest icantbuyafender
I do mean to tell ya'...

Got one just like it and I gave more than that for it!!!

SEEEE!?!?!?

grab up that G400!!!!

its got the angus style vibrola!!@!##

you wont be upset!

Hell , I will mail you a set of dunlop straploks for it!!!! I'll pay shipping!

its destiny my friend! (and im serious bout the straploks.)

buy the damn thing on credit! i paid $250 for my cherry G400 6 years ago. Best buy ever.

Slightly off topic, but how is the sustain on Epi SG models and Gibson Sg's today? I owned one of the thin body Gibson Sg's back in the late 80's and traded it after a couple of years for a Strat because I couldn't make it sing and sustain. I see that most SG's nowadays are thicker. Les Paul himself commented on the Sg's lack of sustain in an interview I read in Guitar World.

Hmm...

I never knew there was anything problematic

with the sustain on an SG..? I can see the tonal

properties bein' weak with a thinner body. I

don't see how it's thickness would have any

bearing on sustain..? I've gone thru 3 of 'em

just by choice, Not anything build-wise or

anything like that. Just bein' picky as to what

I wanted... Post up the article if you get a

shot at it. I know he wasn't any kind of fan

of the SG..? Well, I heard that was his feelings

on the SG.

Dave, that is one of the reasons I mainly play LPs. I have a 2005 G-400 with Maestro, which I will never sell. However, the sustain isn't all that great. I love it for upper fret access, which is better than my Strat, but the sustain is no where close to what I get on my LPs. I just sold another G-400 last summer, same thing. Neither guitars have stock pickups. The one I sold had GFS Vintage 59s and the one I still have has a Burstbucker Pro and II in it.

Dave' date=' that is one of the reasons I mainly play LPs. I have a 2005 G-400 with Maestro, which I will never sell. However, the sustain isn't all that great. I love it for upper fret access, which is better than my Strat, but the sustain is no where close to what I get on my LPs. I just sold another G-400 last summer, same thing. Neither guitars have stock pickups. The one I sold had GFS Vintage 59s and the one I still have has a Burstbucker Pro and II in it.[/quote']

jcw-

So where does the problem with sustain on these SG's derive in your mind?

I just thought the stock pups were lackin' in my G-400/Maestro. Went with

the Gibby 490r/498t combo and the thing howls with the coyotes... Honestly,

It gets kinda' too wild sometimes. I say that runnin' thru a PV C30. Maybe

they just dislike each other... What do you think? Body/build - Neck/body joint -

Body thickness..? Yeah, I'm with you on hangin' on to it for sure[cool]

Thanks

My G400 certainly sustains excellently. Especially with the TusqXL nut I had installed recently. It's actually made it quite bright too with that nut, so I'm thinking I might put some .047 Orange drops back in it. I had them in for a while, but it was just too dark for me. That was with the old plastic nut though.

Anyway, as I said, it certainly doesn't lack sustain, but then I pick up my Les Paul and it's even better. My mate came 'round yesterday to check out the Les Paul and he couldn't believe the sustain, It's just astonishing!

Of course I know its $249 new!!! I'm not an idiot..... And I'm going to seel it after christmas to this person for that price, if I don't sell it before then......

But about that G400 on ebay..... I like it, but Angus Young has never used a guitar with a whammy bar, live or in the studio, Idk why the hell they have that bridge/whammy bar on the signature Gibson.

My G400 certainly sustains excellently. Especially with the TusqXL nut I had installed recently. It's actually made it quite bright too with that nut' date=' so I'm thinking I might put some .047 Orange drops back in it. I had them in for a while, but it was just too dark for me. That was with the old plastic nut though.

Anyway, as I said, it certainly doesn't lack sustain, but then I pick up my Les Paul and it's even better. My mate came 'round yesterday to check out the Les Paul and he couldn't believe the sustain, It's just astonishing![/quote']

I guess that is what I meant. In comparison to an LP, the SG doesn't sustain as well. Not to say that my SG doesn't have sustain, it does, but not nearly as much as my LPs.

Good price on that Maestro equipped G-400:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1965...tar?hash=item2a035604d6

But about that G400 on ebay..... I like it' date=' but Angus Young has never used a guitar with a whammy bar, live or in the studio, Idk why the hell they have that bridge/whammy bar on the signature Gibson.[/quote']

O RLY?

angus-young.jpg

My Gibby SG Special hangs right in there with my Gibby LP as far as sustain goes. Besides how long does a note need to ring anyways? A good finger vibrato can milk all the sustain you need. In my opinion Bigsbys and maestros are tone and sustain killers.

Now' date=' Angusthegod, that is quite a strange reply, seeing as that is surely a picture of Angus Young using an SG with a Vibrola in a LIVE setting.....

hmmmm.....

Jeff[/quote']

It's what one might expect from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.:-

Now' date=' Angusthegod, that is quite a strange reply, seeing as that is surely a picture of Angus Young using an SG with a Vibrola in a LIVE setting.....

hmmmm.....

Jeff[/quote']

Okay, in my original.....thing....comment...... I meant to say "Angus has never used a whammy bar."....... My mistake, alright?

I know exactly what I am talking about, so STFU.

Okay' date=' in my original.....thing....comment...... I meant to say "Angus has never used a whammy bar."....... My mistake, alright?

I know exactly what I am talking about, so STFU.[/quote']

Absolutely NO reason for that kind of comment.

Okay' date=' in my original.....thing....comment...... I meant to say "Angus has never used a whammy bar."....... My mistake, alright?

I know exactly what I am talking about, so STFU.[/quote']

Man no need to be rude! I've been a fan of AC/DC since before your mommy of thought about having you. I've met the band twice and got to know Bon Scott pretty well. You don't have a clue what Angus did in his early gigging days. I've been backstage at an event in Springfield Ill when AC/DC opened for UFO and partied with both bands before and after the concert. Angus did alot of different types of playing Esp. small venues before they hit it big. He was really into the blues when he was younger. Don't say you know when you clearly haven't been there.

Rewddawg

Archived