Gibson Brands Forums

Help!

SketchyEtchy

Building a les paul because im bored and as a student sort have disposable income.

I got my pots (500k) someone show where i solder my pickups to.

epiphonepots.jpg

i think i know which is tone and volume but could some1 tell which is which so i dont mess it up.

Thanks sketch'

Hi Etchy

Don't usally assist Liverpool supporters :-

But, If I were you, I would go to the digrams section of the Seymour Duncan website, there you will many different variations and wiring schematics........

Hi don't assist Liverpool supporters :-) but If I were you I would to the digrams section of the Seymour Duncan website there you will many different variations and wiring schematics........

well aint you a funny one[flapper]

The pups usually have a Live and an Earth if they are Epi 2-conductor types. Earth goes to pot casing, live to one of the 3 contacts on the volume pots. You then need to connect each volume to a Tone pot. Try one of these diagrams:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=5m0qYgCAexCCF5rivH6lvJZdE/category/wiringresources.2_pickup_diagrams/

Also, dial the pots to zero before soldering.

If I were you I would bite the bullet and get some better components for my build. Those Epi pots and connectors are pure junk, for about $30 you can get good switchcraft and alpha hardware. Then add some good shielded wire for the long runs and you'll have a nice upgrade. Why waste the effort using bottom of the barrel parts?

well it doesnt have one, so basically im gonna have to have a blank or get lucky and find one that fits but so far ive spent bout £60 on the body, and necks dont come cheap and time i spent on this and money i could of bought a 2nd hand guitar.

I think a neck is sort of a requirement.

But maybe not.

Do you need frets?

You might, some don't.:)

I myself LOVE fretless basses, I have toyed with a few fretless guitars, but haven't pulled the trigger on one cause they're mighty pricey for a novelty instrument. Maybe I'll make a fretless neck myself on day and bolt it on something.

I myself LOVE fretless basses' date=' I have toyed with a few fretless guitars, but haven't pulled the trigger on one cause they're mighty pricey for a novelty instrument. Maybe I'll make a fretless neck myself on day and bolt it on something[/quote']

You could go the Jaco route. Butter knife - Frets + Boat epoxy = Fretless.

Or you could check out Rondo. I know they have at least one fretless LP copy for cheap.

Archived