Gibson Brands Forums

FS: 1958 Historic Reissue Les Paul Standard with Custom Shop Duncans

Guitarist

For Sale here is a fine example of Gibson’s artistry in craftsmanship—my beloved 1958 VOS Historic Reissue Les Paul. The guitar was made in 2006.

DSCF4711.jpg

I purchased this guitar as new from an online dealer in '06 who claimed to have only opened the case to snap photos. It arrived as new.

The guitar is finished in a stunning tobacco sunburst. The plain maple top is in fact not so plain. Pools of rings and assorted specks make this guitar an undeniable looker. Trust me when I tell you that pictures do not do this piece justice. This guitar is stunning.

UPGRADES:

You might also notice the aged double cream Custom Shop Seymour Duncan pickups I had made especially for this instrument. These pickups are the result of a collaboration between myself and MJ from Duncan’s CS.

The bridge pickup reads 9.3K, an enthralling take on a PAF on steroids. Just the right amount of bite, lots of warmth…clarity. The neck pickup reads 7.8K. Just a terrific throaty, woody tone. Both have A2 magnets. Also included in the advertisement are the original aged nickel covers that came with the pickups if you want to restore that look.

Under the hood, I have installed the RS Guitarworks Premium Electronic Upgrade with CTS 500K pots and Hovland capacitors. After reading so much hype on the kit, I had to try it out. I was rewarded with a much smoother, more usable taper and an unprecedented amount of clarity that I have personally never heard in a Les Paul before.

These upgrades cost me roughly $500 and never once have I regretted the investment.

CONCERNS and ASKING PRICE:

As you can see in the pictures directed from the bottom of this page, there are a few notable dings in the guitar from normal use (trust me, I take care of my guitars, and this one was no exception). The back of the guitar has typical wear, but nothing breaking the finish. The neck has mellowed a little bit with its thin nitrocellulose finish.

I have all the original case candy and the certificate of authenticity. The flap on the inside of the case came a little loose (thank a 6 year old for that one), but luckily it is still functional and I’m sure is not a hard fix should you want to. The original jack plate cracked so I replaced it with an authentic Gibson part.

I bought this guitar for $2400 and invested several hundred dollars into it. I’m not sure what good dealers are shelling these out for anymore, but I feel that my asking price of $2300 shipped and insured is fair. Trust me, at this price, you will not find a better Lester.

Please, if you have any questions or concerns whatsoever, contact me via email at jahntahm@yahoo.com

Thanks for looking. Happy trails.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e107/JDGuitaristT/

Just a thought, but your package might be more pallatable to the cork-sniffers if you can offer the original wiring harness and pickups if you saved them, so everything but the jackplate can be restored to "original" condition. It's not like a new bathroom or kitchen, you don't get your money back on renovations on a guitar. Nice looking guitar, though, good luck.

Just a thought' date=' but your package might be more pallatable to the cork-sniffers if you can offer the original wiring harness and pickups if you saved them, so everything but the jackplate can be restored to "original" condition. It's not like a new bathroom or kitchen, you don't get your money back on renovations on a guitar. Nice looking guitar, though, good luck.[/quote']Thanks for the consideration. I thought about that myself and figured it into my asking price.

Though it does seems a bit outlandish to me to keep these guitars original for that sake alone. There are too many of them out there. I was just looking to get a better guitar, as most people interested in buying these in the first place are.

Lets see if I have this right: You have at least a R8 with some pretty nice modifications, and an Epi LP; but you want a Fender Strat. You want to sell the R8 because you think (correctly btw) that you'll get more money. Then at the end of the day you'll have a new strat (about $1,200 for a new American) and an epi.

Are you friggin nuts???

Then at the end of the day you'll have a new strat (about $1' date='200 for a new American) and an epi.[/quote']

No kidding, sell the Epi.

Although I wouldn't pay it, certain Strats can sell for $5,000 +.

I wouldn't sell a R8 for a Strat either, but then again, I am pro Les Paul.

My guess is, he didn't like the sound of the guitar, spent $500 to make it sound good, it didn't, now it's for sale.

After all, the guy said it was an on-line purchase...but either way, this isn't the classifieds section and this thread will probably be deleted by tomorrow.

Maybe since you want a LP Historic' date=' and you have a nice strat; and since Guitarist has a LP Historic, and he wants a nice strat................

It would be PERFECT![/quote']

idk

im planning on keepin the strat

=D

just to update you guys

im contemplating a 74 les paul custom ebony all org

or a 81 les paul standard heritage elite, cherryburst

The fact that I have had and used this guitar primarily for over 2 years now stands against the claim that this guitar doesn't sound great. Period.

My ears shifting to appreciate the qualities of a Strat more than a LP is the only reason this guitar is for sale. I cannot justify keeping a piece of this caliber when it is getting less than half of the play time. I do not have the funds to keep two gems.

I am going to sell this guitar and keep the Epiphone, which of course is not the guitar the Gibson is, but no matter, I will use that as my humbucker sound. My #1 deserves quality. I can live with a compromised humbucker tone.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but some of you should be more respectful to the advertisement. Thanks to those of you who did.

guitarist its nothing personal

when "strangers" come into our community, and their first post is blankity, blah blah for sale blah

it raises a few:-s

alot of newbies come in, post for sale, and we never here from em again

sit down stay a while

everyone is a good guy

well except for cuda

he only is happy when he is getting laid, or shooting up a brazilian small arms dealer with his small force of special comando troopers

anyway

=D

The fact that I have had and used this guitar primarily for over 2 years now stands against the claim that this guitar doesn't sound great. Period.

My ears shifting to appreciate the qualities of a Strat more than a LP is the only reason this guitar is for sale. I cannot justify keeping a piece of this caliber when it is getting less than half of the play time. I do not have the funds to keep two gems.

I am going to sell this guitar and keep the Epiphone' date=' which of course is not the guitar the Gibson is, but no matter, I will use that as my humbucker sound. My #1 deserves quality. I can live with a compromised humbucker tone.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but some of you should be more respectful to the advertisement. Thanks to those of you who did.[/quote']

i dont buy it. no one spends 2-3k on a Historic LP and then decides "i want a strat, so i'll keep my epiphone." assuming you actually own this guitar, then obviously you are LP enthusiast. because only hardcore LPers buy top of the line Custom Shop models. and i know lots of guys who own Historics and i have never heard of anything like what you are saying. most historic owners can afford a Strat without selling their R8.

you are entitled to your opinion and your freedom of choice, but i can also call bullshit if i smell it. the giveaway is when your first post is a classified ad. this isnt craigslist or ebay.

welcome to the forum.

Thanks JesseNoah. I appreciate the hostility and the welcome!

FennRx, I'll tell you what, I'll post a picture of my new Strat when I sell this one just to prove to your suspect *** that people aren't always as scheming as you may think. I understand the concern stemming from my first post being an ad, but then I'm just trying to sell a guitar...I'll sign up for a new forum if it means exposure. I only ask that you apply your edge somewhere more useful to yourself and others, say like on the side of a "happy pill." Then you can stick it up your nose and save your hot words for a woman, perhaps. Or a man. Or a boy.

Stymye, I know there's a bunch of money put into that guitar, but I'm OK with losing $600 on this one considering I'll be replacing it with something that brings me joy. Saving up for that guitar took me a long time. I'm a Junior in college. Money piles slowly at $9 an hour. I'm looking for a shortcut to that sound. I had a Strat on loan for a while and through extensive A/Bing, I now know that that sound is a Strat.

Best.

interesting how this quickly degraded into an assault on my sexual preferences- only proving that you have no place on this forum. you post whatever pics of whatever strat you want. it doesn't prove anything.

i think ultimateguitar.com is calling.

interesting how this quickly degraded into an assault on my sexual preferences- only proving that you have no place on this forum. you post whatever pics of whatever strat you want. it doesn't prove anything.

i think ultimateguitar.com is calling.

BRAVO

#-o:-k#-o:-k =D>

I'll sign up for a new forum if it means exposure. I only ask that you apply your edge somewhere more useful to yourself and others' date=' say like on the side of a "happy pill." Then you can stick it up your nose and save your hot words for a woman, perhaps. Or a man. Or a boy.[/quote']

If this is an example of the kind of exposure you want, the you've signed up on the wrong forum.

Archived