Gibson Brands Forums

Tried out the new LPs today

AlanH

Hi All,

I've mentioned before that I've been GASing badly for a LP tribute. So, I went in to town today to have a look at the new LPs that Epi have been offering up (and no - they didn't have the LP Special SCs yet).

I tried two of the new LPs which the store had in stock; a Cherryburst 1959 and a Black 2010 Tribute, both through the Vox AC4 amp which people have also been talking about. Anyway, I have to say that I was a little disappointed with my experience.

I played the '59 first: Its '50s neck was no problem in my hands as have an SG special faded. However, I had trouble because the guitar was poorly set up. The strings needed a good stretch and, even after that, poor winding on the posts, off intonation and a way too high action made things difficult for me to get a proper assessment of playability. The Burstbuckers certainly sounded nice, though.

Next, the 2010 Tribute: Again, I had difficulty keeping it in tune and had to stretch out the strings, only to be left with the same problems with post slippage (how are its locking pegs supposed to work?), off intonation and high action which made the experience similarly frustrating. This one also suffered from quite a bit of string binding which, although it can be fixed, made things worse. Soundwise, the '57 classic pickups didn't do that much for me, although this could have been the fault of the amp. It really struggled to break up at a reasonable volume, even on the 1/4 W setting. Lastly, the coil taps were OK but I wouldn't be buying a LP if split coils were high up on my list of priorities. On the positive side, the 2010 neck rear profile felt comfortable in the hand.

Although the amp and the set up problems are side issues, the one thing that did put me off these two guitars was the overall feel of quality. I suppose it would be somewhat naive of me to expect Gibson quality at a Far Eastern manufactured price. However, I got no sense that the woods used were any better than those in a regular Epi LP Standard. What's more there was too much poly, leaving both guitars looking too plasticky. Furthermore, although their darkish fingerboards looked nice, I ended up with black fingertips. On closer inspection I noted that the rosewood used was no better than the unstained board on my own LP Standrard Plus.

I ended up feeling that my own LP looks the more realistic 'copy'. Perhaps it's actually better to use a veneer cap than the true maple cap on a cheaper, poly finished guitar. Also, I prefer the grovers on my LP to the tuners included on either the 1959 or the Tribute.

I did look at some of the other Epis on show today and spotted a very nice Standard plain top in vintage sunburst and a lovely looking Sheraton II in the natural finish. Both looked a lot more expensive than they actually were. Unfortunately though, I ran out of time to try them.

So, my advice to anybody thinking of getting one of these new LPs would be to view them up close and in person first as you may find the cheaper standard models to be the better looking/better finished guitars. The higher retail price may cover the extra cost of the improved pups/electronics but you can always upgrade a standard model to the exact specs you want. I don't want to run down anybody who owns one of these new LPs as they are still nice guitars. However, for me, I think I'll stick with the regular Epi/upgrade route.

Alan

Aside from the "oversea's quality" of the two guitars. I believe that them being poorly setup had a lot to do with it as well.

I went to my local guitar center (no offense to MidiMan, but after that experience I'm never going back) and I tried out a Gibson ES335 reissue and it was just a freakin' DOG to play. Frets were high, intonation was wwaaaayyy off, action was high. It was just a good guitar that played horribly.

But, yes, try before you buy is the moral of the story here.

When I bought my Ultra 2, the same thing happened.

The setup was terrible. High action, intonation way out, and a general feeling of low quality.

I pointed this out to the salesman, and told him I might buy it if

the store would set it up first.

Long story short, they did, and so did I. Buy it I mean.

It still needed a tweak after I got it home, but it has become one of my favorite

and most versatile guitars.

A good set up can make all the difference.

most every guitar is not going to be set up right! when going to a store to try them out are never tuned and all that, it takes time to set it up and break the strings in. I ****ing love my 59 the quality is perfect the rose wood is perfect not like the epi's I seen and the sound is just awsome. I had a few guitars in my time and this one's a keeper. I just sent back the new les paul special with the 2 p90's I had to reset every thing up completely! after that was all done I noticed a hair line crack on both sides of the neck so it went back. The only flaw again the rose wood had some scrapes on it, poor QC again on epiphone part. I seen that on my iommi also. But the 59 had a perfect fret board.

someone pointed out to me when the guitar is stored and weather issues and what ever that will bow the neck and he's right about that and one thing also on the special guitar It had a badddd 5th string buzz on the 12th fret or so that I just couldnt get out. So i was just going to take it to a store to have it checked out but thats when I seen the crack. So im just getting my money back.

As I say, the set up problems are a side issue. It was the lack of an overall feeling of enhanced quality (compared to a standard) that I was most disappointed with; but I accept that this could vary from guitar to guitar.

Perhaps the frustrating time I had because of the poor set-ups clouded my opinion. However, if they want to sell these guitars maybe they should be leaving the factory in a more playable state with proper stringing, an average action and good intonation as a bare minimum.

probably wont see an Agile like that. oh!

some of epiphones fret board really dont look that great, I was looking at a iommi sat i could see some marks or light gouges on the board. Epiphone step up on quality plz :)

As I say' date=' the set up problems are a side issue. It was the lack of an overall feeling of enhanced quality (compared to a standard) ...[/quote']

I can't admit to auditioning them thoroughly, as I already have a few Les Pauls, but when I check out the Epi LPs in a Guitar Center or the like, I'm oftened impressed by the Standards and Plus Tops. They seem to have had more attention to detail paid to them than some of the more expensive models, like the Customs. Sometimes they're on the wall mixed in with the Gibsons, and you have to look twice before you notice they are Epis. Some of the plain tops are a little TOO plain, but most have very attractive looking tops. I've seen a bunch of Plus Tops in a honey burst finish that were really, really nice looking. That's just the impression I got while browsing with no intent to buy, and not playing them, so I can't comment on any set up issues or how they sound, but my casual impression is that they offer a lot for a little. That's probably one of the reasons for your disappointment.

Red 333

• 2 weeks later...
Guest icantbuyafender
Hi All' date='

I've mentioned before that I've been GASing badly for a LP tribute. So, I went in to town today to have a look at the new LPs that Epi have been offering up (and no - they didn't have the LP Special SCs yet).

I tried two of the new LPs which the store had in stock; a Cherryburst 1959 and a Black 2010 Tribute, both through the Vox AC4 amp which people have also been talking about. Anyway, I have to say that I was a little disappointed with my experience.

I played the '59 first: Its '50s neck was no problem in my hands as have an SG special faded. However, I had trouble because the guitar was poorly set up. The strings needed a good stretch and, even after that, poor winding on the posts, off intonation and a way too high action made things difficult for me to get a proper assessment of playability. The Burstbuckers certainly sounded nice, though.

Next, the 2010 Tribute: Again, I had difficulty keeping it in tune and had to stretch out the strings, only to be left with the same problems with post slippage (how are its locking pegs supposed to work?), off intonation and high action which made the experience similarly frustrating. This one also suffered from quite a bit of string binding which, although it can be fixed, made things worse. Soundwise, the '57 classic pickups didn't do that much for me, although this could have been the fault of the amp. It really struggled to break up at a reasonable volume, even on the 1/4 W setting. Lastly, the coil taps were OK but I wouldn't be buying a LP if split coils were high up on my list of priorities. On the positive side, the 2010 neck rear profile felt comfortable in the hand.

Although the amp and the set up problems are side issues, the one thing that did put me off these two guitars was the overall feel of quality. I suppose it would be somewhat naive of me to expect Gibson quality at a Far Eastern manufactured price. However, I got no sense that the woods used were any better than those in a regular Epi LP Standard. What's more there was too much poly, leaving both guitars looking too plasticky. Furthermore, although their darkish fingerboards looked nice, I ended up with black fingertips. On closer inspection I noted that the rosewood used was no better than the unstained board on my own LP Standrard Plus.

I ended up feeling that my own LP looks the more realistic 'copy'. Perhaps it's actually better to use a veneer cap than the true maple cap on a cheaper, poly finished guitar. Also, I prefer the grovers on my LP to the tuners included on either the 1959 or the Tribute.

I did look at some of the other Epis on show today and spotted a very nice Standard plain top in vintage sunburst and a lovely looking Sheraton II in the natural finish. Both looked a lot more expensive than they actually were. Unfortunately though, I ran out of time to try them.

So, my advice to anybody thinking of getting one of these new LPs would be to view them up close and in person first as you may find the cheaper standard models to be the better looking/better finished guitars. The higher retail price may cover the extra cost of the improved pups/electronics but you can always upgrade a standard model to the exact specs you want. I don't want to run down anybody who owns one of these new LPs as they are still nice guitars. However, for me, I think I'll stick with the regular Epi/upgrade route.

Alan[/quote']

I trust your judgment of the LP's, Alan.

My 2nd (feels like a 1st) hand LP ultra is possibly the best playing and feeling epi i've played.

For only $350 i pulled a steal. and BB's 1+2 really kick your teeth in.

If you are in the price range of a tribute or '59, I recommend getting a Gibson LP studio faded.

I plan to invest in a brown one myself.

If you are in the price range of a tribute or '59' date=' I recommend getting a Gibson LP studio faded.

I plan to invest in a brown one myself.[/quote']

Definitely agree there, especially if you go for one of the Gibson studios with the Burstbuckers rather than 490/498Ts:

Head-to-head; it's then a case of USA-made, two coats of nitro, superior woods, top electronics, good resale price vs. MIC, burst poly finish, top electronics, bog standard woods and less favourable resale price.

Prospective LP buyers in that price range should take a good up-close look at both before deciding what they want. However, I've also been disappointed with a regular Gibson LP Studio I tried in the recent past due to its chambered body reducing fatness of tone.

Alan

If you want a LP NEVER settle for a studio' date=' Gibby or Epi. They are completely different guitars, just look the same to the untrained eye.[/quote']

I had to read that three times before I realized you were not saying don't a Gibson or an Epiphone!:-$

So, what would you recommend, in the Epiphone line, to be a good example of a Les Paul?

And I thought (and 'learned' here at Epi) that the Studio is the same as the Standards and Customs, but just less dressing. What is different? is it the electronics (pups, pots and wiring) only that make the difference, or is it something else?

Sheila

If you want a LP NEVER settle for a studio' date=' Gibby or Epi. They are completely different guitars, just look the same to the untrained eye.[/quote']

My Gibson LP Studio was great, sounded like an LP, played like an LP, looked like an LP because it WAS an LP!

I can live without binding to gain an ebony fretboard and only splurge half the clams!

My Gibson LP Studio was great' date=' sounded like an LP, played like an LP, looked like an LP because it [b']WAS[/b] an LP!

I can live without binding to gain an ebony fretboard and only splurge half the clams!

Yes, LP studios are not sub-standard because (bling aside) just they have slight differences in their dimensions compared to a standard.

The reality is that a Les Paul can be many things from this:

Les%20Paul%27s%20log%202%20-%20log-cu.gif

to this:

427484.jpg

.....and everything that came in between.

They are all called Les Pauls at the end of the day.

What is a Les Paul to you, as player, is what matters.

For me; my new Epi LP studio looks, feels, sounds and plays like my perception of what is a Les Paul.

Alan

Studios have completely different specs than Standards. Thinner, lighter, less wood by around 35% at least.

Not that they aren't good guitars, but they are not just s plain version of a LP like they want you to think. I have owned Gibby Studios and LPs and Epiphone LPs, but not studios. They are not the same. You have been misinformed.

Sorry to nitpick Alan, but this is "The Log" - built and owned by Lester several years before Ted McCarty came up with Gibson's first solid body guitar (in reaction to sales lost to Leo Fender's Telecaster) and signed up Mr. Polfus to endorse it.

Les%20Paul%27s%20log%202%20-%20log-cu.gif

Otherwise your argument does have some validity. Sort of like Boxters and 911 Carrera 4S are both Porsches.

Carry on...

Studios have completely different specs than Standards. Thinner' date=' lighter, less wood by around 35% at least.

Not that they aren't good guitars, but they are not just s plain version of a LP like they want you to think. I have owned Gibby Studios and LPs and Epiphone LPs, but not studios. They are not the same. You have been misinformed.[/quote']

I think you are thinking of the Studio lite. The regular Studio is the same size as the standard.

Sorry to nitpick Alan' date=' but this is "The Log" - built and owned by Lester several years before Ted McCarty came up with Gibson's first solid body guitar (in reaction to sales lost to Leo Fender's Telecaster) and signed up Mr. Polfus to endorse it.

Otherwise your argument does have some validity. Sort of like Boxters and 911 Carrera 4S are both Porsches.

Carry on...[/quote']

Yeah, I was just using the log and the SG Les Paul to make the point that the differences between studio and standard are minimal. You could, in fact, argue that the log is the only real Les Paul.

I think you are thinking of the Studio lite. The regular Studio is the same size as the standard.

Just to confirm things' date=' I've weighed both my studio and my standard in a strong plastic bag using hanging scales (carefully I might add).

In the Wine Red corner, the studio weighs in just shy of 8.5 lbs and in the Honeyburst corner, the standard plus weighs in at just a tad over 8.5lbs. Yes, the studio is about a mm thinner but that certainly doesn't equate to a 35% reduction in its weight, as proven by the scales.

I've tried the new Gibby studio and don't like that fact that they're now chambered. Gibson have done other LP models in chambered bodies too e.g.:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/83622

Does this mean this is also not a proper Les Paul? I'd hate to spend that much and then be told that it isn't.

No it ain't a proper Les Paul, they market them that way to piggy back on the famous name, but they are not the same guitars with different dresses on. Those girls are VERY different construction wise. They make the studios using different designs, CNC plots, woods, hardware, construction techniques, then name it Les Paul and charge too much for it.

But all ya'll feel free to buy a non les paul studio and feel good about it, is your dollars.

As I say, while the body shape (namely the cap) has slight differences compared to a standard, I'm seeing no differences whatsoever in the quality of the woods or hardware when the two guitars are viewed up close and side-by-side.

I would say that, at virtually twice the price, it's the standard that you pay over the odds for.

Alan

The differences are not obvious to the novice, that's how they can get away with it. To an untrained eye the appear the same, to someone who builds and repairs guitars for a living, they are as alike as a Fender Strat and Charvel SanDimas. Or an Affinity Strat and Fender Standard.

Just because one is too blind to see it does not make it not there.

Archived