Gibson Brands Forums

Now I'm thinking about another SG

Twiz

Ok, I admit it. I've been gassing over a white Flying V for quite some time now. However, I dunno, there's part of me itching to buy a nice, traditional heritage cherry SG Standard now. Have I been listening to too much AC/DC? Never! I admit though, I'm torn between the two axes. The SG is my favorite guitar ever (EVER!), but, the V is very metal. What do you guys think? V or SG? I don't know how to do a poll yet on this newfangled (I'm kidding Gibson, it looks great) forum layout. Thanks for your help. Cheers. -T

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I can't buy both. Besides, I actually limit myself to own only 3 electrics at a time. -I don't want to just have a bunch that never get played. I figure 3 is a good number that will keep me playing all of them. As a result of my 3 electrics limit, one of my LP Specials is on the bubble.

I think what I'm going to do is leave it up to fate. Whatever guitar pops into my life first (white V, or red SG) will probably be the one I get. It's too difficult of a decision.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I can't buy both. Besides, I actually limit myself to own only 3 electrics at a time. -I don't want to just have a bunch that never get played. I figure 3 is a good number that will keep me playing all of them. As a result of my 3 electrics limit, one of my LP Specials is on the bubble.

I think what I'm going to do is leave it up to fate. Whatever guitar pops into my life first (white V, or red SG) will probably be the one I get. It's too difficult of a decision.

How could you only have 3 at a time!? msp_scared.gif It's unheard of. huh.gif I would never be able to only have three at a time! eusa_wall.gif

• 2 months later...

what did you pick twiz??

I have both guitars. They are different animals as far as shape. I love em both. My flying V actually is one of my best sustaining guitars of them all. The only thing about the V is you have to play the guitar differently sitting down. I really like the 496R/500T pups on my V also. Another thing is none of my guitars sound the same. So I vote for the white flying V.Oh and blues players and hard rockers love the flying V too not just metal heads. [thumbup]

If you had asked me when I was 18, Id have gone with a V. Now I prefer the SG. I understand that there will be slight differences in sustain and so on but surely the choice is really over the shape and neck profiles with the majority of the real difference in sound being down to the choice of pickups installed. Visually I still love the V but it isnt really a player friendly shape - more of a stage guitar.

Honestly Twiz, if you like the V's go for it. They are not just metal guitars. The ceramic mag. pups are a lot more versatile than some would have you believe. Anyhow, next year Gibson will be putting out the 50th Ann. SG models. I think that woud be a good time to gas for an SG. IMHO [thumbup]

P.S. I am not purchasing another higher end guitar until I see what Gibson does next year especially an SG.

I've started saving up for a white V. Although, if I happen to come across some SG that kicks a$$, I might change my mind. [wink]

I think you'll enjoy a V and it's sound. The only SG stock with the 496R/500T pickups is the Zoot Suit SG. I am not a big fan of the multi-colored guitar. Like I said before my Flying V resonates sound unplugged and sustains better than the rest of my guitars except my Xiphos which also is a sort of V shape and has the neck thru body design.

Good Luck Twiz!

Archived