Gibson Brands Forums

i.d. your Epiphone here -- serial # key, guitardater link + factory codes... a worldwide guide >part 3

Steven Lister

Cool, and what is your question ?

I bet it isn't 104101747 - the first digit is 'I' not '1'

it is made Oct 04 at Saein, Korea

Sorry Pete :-#

...I should of worded that a tad better,... just wanted to confirm the factory. Thanks for the reply. [thumbup]

I have had a Epiphone Les Paul for about 7-10 years now. It was used when I got it from a local music store. I am trying to find out more information on it. The only number I can find on it is on the plate that attatches the neck of the guitar to the body. The number is 186837. The plate also has Handcrafted in Korea by Epiphone Quality since 1910 The Epiphone Company Nashville, Tennessee USA stamped on it.

No Epi LP-100 ever was made in Japan AFAIK

94 could be right,

Are you positive? Info from http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Les_Paul

Les Paul-100 Standard

Japan Domestic Market only

Epiphone humbucker pickups

Slim Mahogany/alder body

Chrome hardware

Bolt-on Mahogany neck

Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays

Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece

Gold speed knobs

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

24.75" scale

1.68" nut width

Colors:

Ebony

Pearl White

Red

Vintage Sunburst

Antique Sunburst

Heritage Cherry Sunburst

See Also: Epiphone Japan

No Epi LP-100 ever was made in Japan AFAIK

94 could be right,

Are you positive? Info from http://www.epiphonew...?title=Les_Paul

Les Paul-100 Standard

Japan Domestic Market only

Epiphone humbucker pickups

Slim Mahogany/alder body

Chrome hardware

Bolt-on Mahogany neck

Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays

Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece

Gold speed knobs

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

24.75" scale

1.68" nut width

Colors:

Ebony

Pearl White

Red

Vintage Sunburst

Antique Sunburst

Heritage Cherry Sunburst

See Also: Epiphone Japan

Peter is correct, the LP-100s are Korean. All the Japanese LPs are high end set neck models made by Fuji Gen (hollow bodies were made by Terada). Also, I'm pretty sure that there weren't any Epiphone LPs made for the Japanese market at that time, they were Orville by Gibson (or just Orville) to distinguish them from the Korean Epiphones. The Orville brand was used from 1988 - 1998, and when the Orville brand was discontinued, they started using the Epiphone brand on the MIJs. The domestic Japanese models can be distinguished by the headstock which was the same as the Gibson open book headstock. When Epiphone Japan created the Elitist line for export, they designed a unique headstock to distinguish them from the JDM models.

That's a rough history, hope it helps. Why not post some pix?

I got the info for the LP-100 Standard out of a 1993 Japanese catalog. I wrote it up as such becuase I have never seen that model in any US catalogs or anywhere else. It is basically the same thing as the LP-100 Studio, but named differently, and appears to have an Alder/Mahog (lam?) body instead of the normal Mahogany body....which, IIRC, the LP-100 has never been spec'd with an Alder/Mahogany body as far as I know.

It was not produced in Japan, but its not much of a strech to assume that it was sold only JDM under that name. The Japanese market gets many Epiphone models and colors that we dont get here.

If you guys had looked closely at the pic in the wiki, you would see that the name is LP-100 Standard and the price is in Yens.

I got the info for the LP-100 Standard out of a 1993 Japanese catalog. I wrote it up as such becuase I have never seen that model in any US catalogs or anywhere else. It is basically the same thing as the LP-100 Studio, but named differently, and appears to have an Alder/Mahog (lam?) body instead of the normal Mahogany body....which, IIRC, the LP-100 has never been spec'd with an Alder/Mahogany body as far as I know.

It was not produced in Japan, but its not much of a strech to assume that it was sold only JDM under that name. The Japanese market gets many Epiphone models and colors that we dont get here.

If you guys had looked closely at the pic in the wiki, you would see that the name is LP-100 Standard and the price is in Yens.

Absolutely, the distributor in Japan handled American Gibsons and Korean Epis in addition to MIJ Epis & Orvilles. I was only addressing the fact that it wasn't MIJ as the OP suggested.

FYI, the 1998 Epiphone on line catalog did list Alder / Mahagony:

LP-100 Studio

Features & Benefits

Scale Nut Length: 24.75"

Nut Wide: 1.68"

Specifications

• Pickups 2 Humbuckers Hardware Chrome Scale/Nut width 24.75" / 1.68" Neck Joint Bolt Neck Material Mahogany Fingerboard/Inlay RW / Dot Body Material Alder / MahoganyTop Alder / Maple

1998 Epi Catalog

Absolutely, the distributor in Japan handled American Gibsons and Korean Epis in addition to MIJ Epis & Orvilles. I was only addressing the fact that it wasn't MIJ as the OP suggested.

LP-100 Studio

Features & Benefits

Scale Nut Length: 24.75"

Nut Wide: 1.68"

Specifications

• Pickups 2 Humbuckers Hardware Chrome Scale/Nut width 24.75" / 1.68" Neck Joint Bolt Neck Material Mahogany Fingerboard/Inlay RW / Dot Body Material Alder / MahoganyTop Alder / Maple

1998 Epi Catalog

Great information and is now embedded into my cranium.

This was advertised as a MIJ Fuji-Gen and now debating if I should get a refund or not.

Thanks for the help [thumbup]

Here are the pics:

post-40315-081868500 1328057812_thumb.jpgpost-40315-081094000 1328058048_thumb.jpg

post-40315-032718100 1328057937_thumb.jpg

I also have a EPI FT130SB with serial 07780040

Any info on the serial?

Thanks again

post-40315-018158600 1328065836_thumb.jpg

So....not made in Japan [thumbup]

Nope. Its Korean.

Ah, you are correct. I looked at the catalogs from the 1990's and they are all listed as Alder/Mahogany. Oops. I must have gotten the info from more recent catalogs. I'll have to amend that info. Thanks!

Nope. Its Korean.

Ah, you are correct. I looked at the catalogs from the 1990's and they are all listed as Alder/Mahogany. Oops. I must have gotten the info from more recent catalogs. I'll have to amend that info. Thanks!

Reality is you really don't know what came from Japan if your only resources are online. As you stated many colors and configurations have come from Japan including bolt on neck LP copies. I have seen another LP-100 exactly like the one I have with the same Fuji-Gen serial number on the neck plate but in white.

Is my LP-100 made in Korea? If you are basing your answers to an online catalog and taking an educated guess then I still won't believe you so to me it's a definitely a MAYBE.

Are my American Fender Strat's and MIJ Fender Tele's worth more than my LP-100? YES, FACT

Reality is you really don't know what came from Japan if your only resources are online. As you stated many colors and configurations have come from Japan including bolt on neck LP copies. I have seen another LP-100 exactly like the one I have with the same Fuji-Gen serial number on the neck plate but in white.

Is my LP-100 made in Korea? If you are basing your answers to an online catalog and taking an educated guess then I still won't believe you so to me it's a definitely a MAYBE.

Are my American Fender Strat's and MIJ Fender Tele's worth more than my LP-100? YES, FACT

These people are trying to help you, not cool dissing them like that.

FWIW: RTH and Pete.R know more about Epi models and their origin than pretty much anyone who doesn't actually work for them.

EDIT: that EpiWiki you happened to quote in post #488 was actually created, written and is maintained by RTH.

I am most certainly NOT basing my answers on an online catalog. If you are refering to the wiki, I built it. Its not something I just refer to. The reality is that the were no MIJ LP-100s. The only bolt-neck Epiphone Les Pauls that were built in Japan were 3-bolt configurations with the bolts inside of the body under the neck pickup at the tenon. The back of the guitar would look similar to a set-neck except for a rubber cap at the center of the heel. These are extremely rare.

Also, your serial number is NOT fuji-gen. Its Samick, Korea before the factory code prefix was instituted. Its a typical Samick serial without the "S" prefix. The first two numbers indicate the year 1994. Also, Japanese serials were never on the neck plate. They are always on the headstock either stamped or printed, and usually with "made in japan" underneath. The only possible exception to this rule would be the 1970's Matsumoku bolt-on guitars, but those serials didnt have any rhyme or reason to them. They were just numbers.

You may not believe me and I really dont care. But you'd be wise to believe Jerrymac because the man knows what he is talking about and his knowledge of these things far surpasses mine and most others on this forum. Furthermore, you are more than welcome to take your query over to MLP and see what they say. I already know what they will tell you.

These people are trying to help you, not cool dissing them like that.

FWIW: RTH and Pete.R know more about Epi models and their origin than pretty much anyone who doesn't actually work for them.

EDIT: that EpiWiki you happened to quote in post #488 was actually created, written and is maintained by RTH.

Thanks, Rob. But lets not forget to give Jerrymac credit for his knowledge. He may be a quiet guy around here, but his knowledge is far greater than mine. I've learned a great deal from Jerry. [thumbup]

You see, the thing is about Jerry, is that everyone thinks that the "Mac" part of his username is part of his actual last name. But it actually stands for "Mack Daddy"! Because thats what he is. An Epiphone juggernaught, that guy is! [laugh]

Thanks, but I'm getting so old I think it actually stands for "Mack Grand-Daddy"!

The effort you've put into EpiWiki is much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Well, I'm new here and decided to join due to my recent acquisition. Picked up an Epi ES 335. The ser. # is 00040006. From the info I can find, it's a MIJ/Fujigen made in April of 2000. Is this info correct? Anyway, she's already under transformation with; Fralin Pure PAFs; water buffalo horn nut; frets leveled, dressed and polished; all new USA wiring harness, with new CTS pots, SBE Orange Drop .022 caps; Switchcraft jack and 3-way switch. New nickel Gotoh Tune-o-matic bridge with Gotoh nickel stop tailpiece. Came stock with Grover tuners. eBay score for $275. Definately been played for the last almost 12 years. Heavy belt rash and picking scratches. Missing the p'guard, but she sounded pretty darn good, initially...I know she can sound better. Just waiting on a few more parts. Any input on this guitar is appreciated. I'm likin' the site, too.

Boy, that Silvertone Amp, far left in the pic, looks just like what I started out playin' bass through. That and a Utah 15" run from the ext. spkr. jack. The OP tranny must've been under one helluva stress! Long before I knew anything about tube amps. Now, I just build my own...

From myguitarguide.com RE: Epi335

For an example, let’s choose the serial number from the guitar on the right:

example:I04031245

This is what each character means:

“I” = Factory/Country

“04″ = Year of Manufacture (2004)

“03″ = Month of Manufacture (March)

“1245″ = Manufacturing Number

This is the factory/country code “cheatsheet”:

KOREA: I= Saein, U=Unsung, S=Samick, P or R=Peerless

CHINA: DW=DeaWon, EA=Gibson/QingDao, EE=Gibson/QingDao, MC=Muse, SJ=SaeJung, Z=ZaozhuangSaehan, BW=China

JAPAN: No letter or F=FujiGen,J or T=Terada

INDONESIA: SI=Samick

So this particular example axe was made in March of 2004 in the Saein factory in Korea.

My serial number leads me to believe, as I stated above, to be 2000, April the 6th guitar that month or day, for thaat matter.

Is it not possible to get a good "deal" once in a blue moon?

I'll put up pics, soon.