Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Rite - have you tried it on your Gibson ?

EuroAussie

There is a fierce debate right now on the AGF about the virtues of Tone Rite.

Was curious if anybody has used it on their Gibson and what were the results ?

Im sort of considering it for my SWD, but not sure if $150 is a really worth it..

cheers,

Mark

A number of folks on this forum have used these, try a search.

I find that my guitars sound so good I've never been tempted by such a device. However, I could understand the temptation in some situations.

I'll just let time take it's own course with my guitars.

All the best,

Guth

I can't remember which it was, but either Vintage Guitar magazine or Acoustic Guitar magazine recently reviewed it positively. You might also search for that review.

Robert Benedetto also endorsed it recently, I noticed.

Red 333

There is a fierce debate right now on the AGF about the virtues of Tone Rite.

Was curious if anybody has used it on their Gibson and what were the results ?

Im sort of considering it for my SWD, but not sure if $150 is a really worth it..

There is always a fierce debate on the AGF about the virtues of ToneRite.

Well...after 48 hours with the Tonerite on it....my CJ went from a very nice guitar to a fantastic guitar. I have to agree that there is something to the Tone Rite. So many say that you have to use it and see/feel what it does in order to understand it. It is so true that until you plug it in and use it on a guitar and feel the way it vibrates the instrument....you won't understand.

I would say that my CJ-165 was a bit "tight" since day one...maybe it got glued up a little tighter, maybe a 1/1000th of an inch extra finish....but for me the CJ was the perfect example of a guitar that would benefit from the Tone Rite. After a couple treatments it really opened up and sounds like a totally different guitar in it's open-ness and responsiveness.

Maybe there is some sort of hard science that would explain and prove everything to the doubters, but why worry about it. It is a relatively inexpensive product that many have now tried and many have now said it has improved their guitars. How many other products simply use "Testimonials" to prove thier product is effective?

Show me the scientific evidence that Gibson Guitars sound good !! Why should I believe it simply because a bunch of people and the Gibson Corporation say that Gibson guitars sound good?

I honestly don't think it will work on every guitar. I think some may benefit a lot more than others and there will probably be some that don't improve at all. So I have 4 guitars and they improved from drastic improvement like my CJ..... to some improvement ....to virtually no real improvement ....if three out of the four improved...I won't point at the one that didn't and call the TR a fraud !!

The guy who started the thread on the AGF is the one pushing it, if I remember correctly. He seems like an honest guy. He didn't try to sell something and disappear. He stayed around and was easy to contact. Anyway, some folks like the idea, others are not very interested. All up to the individual.......From my side of it, if my J150 had more tone and volumn than what it currently has, I'd be banned from playing because of the "noise ordunance."

I am actually pleased that this topic came up again.

About a month and half ago I rented a Tonerite and used it for 7 days. and noticed a positive sound improvement.

Yesterday, I grabbed the J45 and it had lost those improvements. The same for today.

So I believe that the Tonerite does improve the guitar sound initially, but that it is lost unless it is used periodically.

I think only good old fashioned playing the guitar and time itself, will provide a permanent solution.

Buy a tonerite? Nope, I think perhaps I will just get an inexpensive aquarium pump for a few dollars and attach it to the strings every now and then, since as I said before the vibration does make a positive difference.

That's not a test and those aren't test results. It's a load of BS.

Frank Ford told me Saturday that some researchers at Stanford are doing a properly designed double-blind study of whether these things work. 'll be interested to see the results.

-- Bob R

I am actually pleased that this topic came up again.

About a month and half ago I rented a Tonerite and used it for 7 days. and noticed a positive sound improvement.

Yesterday, I grabbed the J45 and it had lost those improvements. The same for today.

So I believe that the Tonerite does improve the guitar sound initially, but that it is lost unless it is used periodically.

I think only good old fashioned playing the guitar and time itself, will provide a permanent solution.

DonCarlos ....I don't think that the ToneRite or "good old fashioned playing the guitar" is a permanent thing.

If you ignore any guitar for a couple weeks ...it will get its feeling hurt and will take a while to forgive you. (I have found the same thing with The Wife too!!)

If you ignore any guitar for a couple weeks ...it will get its feeling hurt and will take a while to forgive you. (I have found the same thing with The Wife too!!
)

Alright I got the message......... I'll get the Gibson Spray Pump polish out and "baby" one of them.

I tried it on all my guitars and got real improvements on all of them EXCEPT the all Hog guitar. Hog doesn't seem to be affected much by the process. I got this Tonerite on Nodehopper's advice and am pleased with the results. I'm wondering it the results are in the strings or in the guitar???

This subject always brings out the best in folks. :-" I have a toneright and have used it on my guitars and noticed a very positive improvement.

I am going to lend it to Gillian Girl soon then we can get her oppinion also.

I think the improvement if you use one is subtle , not earth shaking. B)

Archived