Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the deal with AXL Rose?

chengin

The G'n'R (and I use that name loosely) European tour looks like a bit of a shambles. Why does Rose seem intent on pissing off as many fans as possible by doing the same old stunt of turning up on stage hours late, and then blaming everyone when fans boo and throw crap at him.

Looks like the UK Leeds & Reading gigs were a mess as a result. He stormed off the stage at Dublin the other night also. He had to return an hour later and sang from the back of the stage (I guess there were contractual issues that got pointed out to him which forced him to return). He had a face like a smacked arse by all accounts after that. The Gig didn't finish until 1am, but half the crowd had left earlier when they thought the gig was over!

The guy has always been an ***, so i'm surprised people are surprised.

By all accounts the Slash tour is supposed to be pretty good, with interaction with the crowd and actually more than 1 G'n'R member in the band...so which one is Guns'n'Roses again?

Axle seriously needs to go on a diet! The late arrival at Reading was not caused by the band that's why they stayed on stage when the power was cut during the last song. Dublin is another matter! Bit of a joke!!

They are just a traveling circus now called G'n'R.... Time to give it up!!

Axl's always been a diva. He went from being at the center of the rock world to being a parody of himself. I think part of his problem is during his prime, there probably wasn't one person around that didn't kiss his a$$. Everyone needs at least one person to keep them a little grounded. I suspect he only had people around him telling him he's the best, and the greatest...all the time. That will mess you up. It's a shame.

Whats the deal with AXL Rose?

Easy.

He's a f-ing moron.

Always has been, always will be.

Seen Slash in several different settings - you will NOT be disappointed.

Even if you don't like the guy, I can tell you he knows what he's doing.

Swing the strap over your shoulder, plug in, shake the earth.

Done.

Seen Slash in several different settings - you will NOT be disappointed.

Even if you don't like the guy, I can tell you he knows what he's doing.

Slash is a hell of a nice guy as well. Quite a few years ago, after a Velvet Revolver show he came into the bar (attached to the venue) and bought a round for everyone and pretty much closed out the bar just getting hammered and having a good time. He talked to anyone around him and signed autographs...the whole shebang. He didnt have to, but he was having fun.

Slash is a hell of a nice guy as well. Quite a few years ago, after a Velvet Revolver show he came into the bar (attached to the venue) and bought a round for everyone and pretty much closed out the bar just getting hammered and having a good time. He talked to anyone around him and signed autographs...the whole shebang. He didnt have to, but he was having fun.

What would Axl do...have the bar cleared and whinge like the ***** he is..

I'm not terribly impressed by "celebrity" but I have a great deal of respect for a few "famous" people and their accomplishments.

I've managed to meet a few, most were very gracious.

On the flip side, I've been around many famous people who were colossal pricks and I couldn't get out of the crowd fast enough.

If Axl Rose walked into a bar where I was sitting, I would only stay long enough to pay my tab and make sure the barkeep was tipped well.

I have no patience for professional celebrities whose only claim to fame is that they somehow became a celebrity.

I vote with my feet - and my wallet.

Axl Rose is nothing more than a spoiled P.O.S. who's been spoiled by fame. He alienated everyone in the original lineup of Guns N' Roses with his prima donna attitude , blaming it on being manic depressive. I bet if someone ever gave him a good asskicking, his games would stop.

I'm not terribly impressed by "celebrity" but I have a great deal of respect for a few "famous" people and their accomplishments.

I've managed to meet a few, most were very gracious.

On the flip side, I've been around many famous people who were colossal pricks and I couldn't get out of the crowd fast enough.

If Axl Rose walked into a bar where I was sitting, I would only stay long enough to pay my tab and make sure the barkeep was tipped well.

I have no patience for professional celebrities whose only claim to fame is that they somehow became a celebrity.

I vote with my feet - and my wallet.

Might be veering off thread here but just curious…anyone else have any “positive” or “not-so-positive” star encounters??

I have only met a few, Rob Zombie and Ted Nugent (separately but imagine the possibilities!!!) both total gentlemen.

The only not-so-positive story I have was watching Kenny Wayne Shepherd throw a man sized hissy fit over some people (including me) waiting outside his trailer for an autograph. Lost all respect for him and learned to never attempt to meet a hero again, just enjoy the music.

Might be veering off thread here but just curious…anyone else have any "positive" or "not-so-positive" star encounters??

I have only met a few, Rob Zombie and Ted Nugent (separately but imagine the possibilities!!!) both total gentlemen.

The only not-so-positive story I have was watching Kenny Wayne Shepherd throw a man sized hissy fit over some people (including me) waiting outside his trailer for an autograph. Lost all respect for him and learned to never attempt to meet a hero again, just enjoy the music.

I was an employee of the venue from my Slash anecdote. I've met a few others that were really cool...and some not so cool. Another of the cool ones that come to mind is Geoff Tate. He did an acoustic pre-show for particular ticket holders and had no problem with anyone else in the building that wanted to watch (regular ticket holders were still outside the building). Then, after the show he did a meet & greet. It was supposed to be for 20-30 minutes. He casually chatted with the fans for over an hour until we asked him to wrap it up...politely, of course. He was a very warm and inviting fellow. He really dug his fans.

One of the not so cool ones was Bob (dont look me in the eye or you will be sent home immediately) Dylan. Yeesh. I'm there to work...not be a starstuck fanboy.

I once got the evil eye from Les Claypool for walking in on a closed sound check. Hey, I had to unlock the fire doors by a certain time! Its the law...Aside from that, I really dont know what he is like.

David Grissom, a killer blues player, is the only one who was ever a sh!t head to my face.

He was playing with Storyville at the time, and I had seen them 3 or 4 times before.

I was talking to the other guys in the band as they wandered the club after hours.

Sort of an unofficial meet & greet.

Dave Holt, Malford Milligan, Chris Layton/Tommy Shannon (SRV's Double Trouble) were all great guys.

Grissom was a prick.

I was struck by how blatant it was.

I wasn't drunk (so many fans are after a club show) and I was asking him only about his gear.

Primarily, his ES-335 and PRS.

He made it pretty clear that he wasn't leaving, but didn't want to be bothered.

Nobody was taking pictures, nobody else was with him, nothing was going on.

Figured he had his reasons, whatever they may have been...

These stories came to me second hand so I can’t verify them personally but they are interesting. I have a friend who once met the late (RIP) Ronnie James Dio in a small club and my friend said Ronnie was the most pleasant person all night. He talked for hours with people in the club then politely asked to sit in with the house band and played for about 30 minutes.

Another friend met the notoriously reclusive singer for Tool Mr. Maynard James Keenan. I didn’t expect a good outcome for this encounter but on the contrary, my friend said Maynard was very pleasant and quite accommodating, who knew…

These stories came to me second hand so I can't verify them personally but they are interesting. I have a friend who once met the late (RIP) Ronnie James Dio in a small club and my friend said Ronnie was the most pleasant person all night. He talked for hours with people in the club then politely asked to sit in with the house band and played for about 30 minutes.

This doesnt surprise me one bit. After he died, I read countless stories of what a top-notch class act that man was.

Archived