Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour duncans?

AaronJames

I've been wondering for a long time now why none of gibson have any seymours duncan pickups? it would cost less for me if I got the guitar with seymours already in them wouldnt it? I mean if you put a pearly gates and a anico 2 pro witha maple neck on a les paul youll have the nicest sounding guitar on the block? so why dosent Gibson adopt seymour duncans?

I like a lot of the humbuckers Gibson makes I don't like some others, same for Seymour Duncan.

It is a matter of preference really.

Gibson pickups on Gibson guitars are fine, if you don't like them swap them out.

There are Gibsons with maple necks/boards, go find one.

I like a lot of the humbuckers Gibson makes I don't like some others, same for Seymour Duncan.

It is a matter of preference really.

Gibson pickups on Gibson guitars are fine, if you don't like them swap them out.

There are Gibsons with maple necks/boards, go find one.

ya but to swap both pickups to SDs will cost on average around 200$

I'm sorry, I think there's a failure to communicate here, because I don't get what the problem is.

You want a Gibson to come with a different company's pick-ups because it'll cost YOU less?

Maybe I'd understand if Gibson didn't use their own pick-ups to begin with and contracted that deal out, THEN you'd have a bit of an arguement.

Like it's already been said, if you don't like them they're not permanent, but don't expect a company to do something that saves you money based on your preference, that's just daft.

I happen to prefer the sound of my '57 Classics (and even my 496 / 500 ceramics) to a set of SD 'Antiquity' boutique pups (hand-signed by Seymour himself - and no; I'm not joking).

People like different things.

One very helpful member (Black Beauty) has pointed me in the direction of Skatterbrane; FennRx has recommended - through personal experience, WCR 'Crossroads';others really like the sound produced by Lollars; Dim's; etc...etc...dem00n loves EMG's to pieces.

If you don't like your pups then swap them. I'm sure Gibson uses whatever they use in each model because they think that for most players the fitted pups will suit the average players' style and rig.

Maybe not everyone likes SD's pups, i don't.An example, I tryed the Pearly Gates,Billy Gibbons sig guitar and I would not buy it because of the pups. And I was offered a very good discount.

For guitars that cost that much or any Gibson , that's part of what a Gibson is . The sound they have.

I have SD in bridge position on my 1970 LP Custom. In neck position I modified the stock pickup with Alnico VIII magnets.

My 355 Has Alnico V in both positions. Easy mods..If you like the tone from the windings..experiment with magnets..

My ES175 also has Alnico V..but reversed to get a little more treble from the single neck position PU. I have twenty or so old PAFs..with Alnico V some with VIII and a couple I tried ceramics..

Used to swap them out in the LP mostly..but since the LP has a 20DB pre-amp the ceramics just made it too nasty..but nice for DI stuff.

I am neutering the Paul..taking out the pre-amp..but leaving the coil taps. Haven't decided on which magnet set up yet.

Swapping magnets and having a selection has been something I've done for 25 years or so. The Duncan (If I remember) has ceramic..I'll be in the PL soon..see what i did 20 years ago..:)

Not really an issue, IMO. If you swap out the Gibson pickups you can easily sell them for a good chunk of your money back. Lots of Epiphone owners like Gibson pickups, including myself.

I paid a pretty penny for Gibson pickups for my Epiphone Les Paul Ultra.

So if you swap 'em out, sell the originals. I got my original Gibson pickups on ebay.

Archived