Gibson Brands Forums

Sustain, Compressor Pedal Experiences

Artie Owl

Hey Gang,

I'm looking for a decent Compressor pedal for some added sustain to slow my playing down a bit. I first plan on switching to a higher gauge string set, but I'd like to add a compressor to my repitoire.

It doesn't have to be gig worthy, more practice at home worthy, I'm just looking for recommendations under 100$

My first look was the Boss CS-3 because I really like my OS-2 from Boss.

Anyone?

Hey Gang,

I'm looking for a decent Compressor pedal for some added sustain to slow my playing down a bit. I first plan on switching to a higher gauge string set, but I'd like to add a compressor to my repitoire.

It doesn't have to be gig worthy, more practice at home worthy, I'm just looking for recommendations under 100$

My first look was the Boss CS-3 because I really like my OS-2 from Boss.

Anyone?

The Boss is great...and I aint talkin' about Bruce....Enjoy !!

I agree with you Stevejoshlay, and Versatile since I've had previous experience with Boss. Musician's Friend has a thread of Compressor Pedals based on sale popularity;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/effects/pedals/compression-sustain

They also have a Electro Harmonix Freeze that seems like it'd be kind of cool.

Nathan, I've never given Dunlop a try, other than possibly their golf ball line.

MXR! No doubt, always gotta go with something in the Dunlop family [thumbup]

I agree, i had the Boss and hated it, significant popping and very noisy. Then i went to my local music store, and my friend there who is a audio engineer, and a musician persuaded me to get the MXR Custom Comp, and i have loved it. You get anything from squashed chime bloom, to chickin pickin, and the internal trim pots, really help you to dial in that special tone. Id recomend the Custom Comp or Barber's Tone Press..I've heard incredible things about it, but some people do prefer the Custom Comp. A little more expensive but defintley worth it. [thumbup]

PS: I have seen demos of the EH Freeze, and man does that thing sound sweet!! But that is not your CLASSIC compressor. Ive thinking of picking one up and trying one for my self.

I agree, i had the Boss and hated it, significant popping and very noisy. Then i went to my local music store, and my friend there who is a audio engineer, and a musician persuaded me to get the MXR Custom Comp, and i have loved it. You get anything from squashed chime bloom, to chickin pickin, and the internal trim pots, really help you to dial in that special tone. Id recomend the Custom Comp or Barber's Tone Press..I've heard incredible things about it, but some people do prefer the Custom Comp. A little more expensive but defintley worth it. [thumbup]

PS: I have seen demos of the EH Freeze, and man does that thing sound sweet!! But that is not your CLASSIC compressor. Ive thinking of picking one up and trying one for my self.

Yes! Score one for Dunlop [thumbup]

My cat is named Dunlop btw, name he came with when I adopted him. He was named after the tire brand though, I don't care. I think I should get a sponsorship [biggrin]

Not your classic compressor kind of sounds tempting, I think I might trek down to L&M and test drive one.

So the shopping list so far is to try the MXR Super Comp and the Electro Harmonix Freeze, and possibly still the Boss CS-3, I like how it's trending towards a specific one though, Thanks all.

Try an MXR micro amp pedal.

I used to use one for solo's in my gigging days. It just used to 'fill' the sound out.

Brandon...

Here's another unmentioned option that might be attractive, especially if you basically like the tone you're getting.

Turn up your amp. Then get a nice, inexpensive passive volume pedal.

We did that a lot in the olden days of rock <grin> and pedal steel players still do it. Granted, it requires human input and some practice to get it right, but you're in charge instead of a machine.

BTW, that's another reason I'm big on a master volume on the guitar where one might use one's pinky finger to control it as did a picker I played with for a cupla years and, I later discovered, so did Roy Buchanan. Without it, you almost need a volume pedal. But again, that's if you already like what you're getting but just want it to last longer...

m

Brandon...

Here's another unmentioned option that might be attractive, especially if you basically like the tone you're getting.

Turn up your amp. Then get a nice, inexpensive passive volume pedal.

We did that a lot in the olden days of rock <grin> and pedal steel players still do it. Granted, it requires human input and some practice to get it right, but you're in charge instead of a machine.

BTW, that's another reason I'm big on a master volume on the guitar where one might use one's pinky finger to control it as did a picker I played with for a cupla years and, I later discovered, so did Roy Buchanan. Without it, you almost need a volume pedal. But again, that's if you already like what you're getting but just want it to last longer...

m

Thanks Milod, I really do like my tone, just want a bit more hover to it. Is that what they're called? Passive Volume Pedals? I'll have to do some googling.

Brandon...

I think they're called that. I figure if you just look for volume pedals at your favorite on-line store you'll see something.

I think mine was around $30. Since it's foot operated, it takes a little more beating than just the actual switch. There are combination volume-tone pedals, too, but I've always preferred just the simple volume pedal.

m

Brandon...

I think they're called that. I figure if you just look for volume pedals at your favorite on-line store you'll see something.

I think mine was around $30. Since it's foot operated, it takes a little more beating than just the actual switch. There are combination volume-tone pedals, too, but I've always preferred just the simple volume pedal.

m

Yeah, That's what they're called alright M, but I can't seem to find one for less than about 60-70$. That's just for the online stuff I've come across. Were I more confident in my fabrication skills I'd DIY, since there's a bunch of links on making your own Passive Volume Pedal, I just don't think I understand all the terms they're using. Not to mention I understand the concept of grounding but never done it before etc..

I'll keep looking thanks again.

Archived