Gibson Brands Forums

took some pics today just for the heck of it!

mr newhaven

Mr Newhaven - Congrats on a gorgeous Tele. B)

Just curious - is yer Tele all rosewood or is the body and neck ash stained dark.

In the 80s Fender put out a replica of George Harrison's Rosewood Tele - http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/entertainment_legends/george-harrison-guitar.html

He liked to play it with the bridge tray cover. . . . . . . . . . That's it at the Abbey Road roof top concert.

Guitar2a.jpg. . . 5135-194x223.jpg. . . harrison2.jpg

its all rosewood all the time!

hahaha

its chambered with a slab of maple in between the 6 piece body!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the newer CIJ/MIJ/MIM's are basswood with a rosewood veneer on top...they look ok but i think they sound like regular MIM...but for about a grand you can do much worse!

[flapper]

Damn dude - That's is a sweet a$$ Tele. Those 80s replicas are nicely made. <*envy*> B)

There's a 68 Rosewood Tele on ebay for $26.7K - http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-FENDER-ROSEWOOD-TELECASTER-ORIGINAL-HARRISON-/260593643622?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cac977066#ht_1556wt_911

Shoulda looked at your sig - I see it listed "all rosewood" [drool]

If I remember my electronics schooling, I thought the "tone suck" with coiled cords wasn't so much the length as the fact that they act as a filter. They have an inductive effect on the guitar signal. Inductors act as "low pass" filters, filtering out the highs. I think the new ones are better because they are shielded, but they still have signal loss due to the length.

Yoda, yer purty good fer a girrl!!!

"tone suck" with coiled cords

they act as a filter.

inductive effect

"low pass" filters, filtering out the highs

they still have signal loss due to the length.

The new ones are better (if you spend some money) but do you really NEED one?

Cable length alone was the reason I avoid them - ever notice you can't buy a regular cable over 20 feet?

That, and I've discussed this with lotsa Olde Timers who said they struggled to let go of curly cords.

When they finally did, they noticed many small nuances and bugs went away.

I've always been a little fuzzy on the inductive aspect for two reasons.

Well, three because I wasn't even gonna go there with the Instant Expert kiddies...

The inductive effect should be minimal because the current is so small.

The inductive effect should be HUGE because the affected signal is so greatly amplified.

Which is it?

Well, it's neither - or both.

Let the electronics gunslingers handle it from there

The limit of my clear understanding has been reached.

Yoda, yer purty good fer a girrl!!!

The inductive effect should be minimal because the current is so small.

The inductive effect should be HUGE because the affected signal is so greatly amplified.

Which is it?

Well I should be, I took 6 years of electronics, and work as a technician.

You are misunderstanding inductance; in short, in a low current application a coil, any coil, acts as a low-pass filter. They use them in crossovers for this effect, and they are not in "high current" applications. You cannot amplify inductance.

The properties of the coil were discovered by Nikola Tesla, and he pretty much devoted his life's work to their research.

In short, any coiled cord will have an inductive effect on your signal. That being said I would not use a coiled cord, unless that is the "sound" you are looking for, some artists will deliberately alter their signal to get "that sound".

Archived