Gibson Brands Forums

This might sound crazy....

ShredAstaire

Since I have an insatiable appetite for new music, i've been thinking about this for a while and I just wanted to gauge people's thoughts and find out who (if anyone) would be interested.

A New Music Club....like a book club but way less boring....and more rockin!

Each week someone would be responsible for "bringing" an album (preferably not something everyone knows and has already)....everyone takes the week to listen to it and then come back and discuss thoughts...(hopefully more intelligently than "this sucks")

I figure it could be a great way to discover new music through others....

The challenges would be acquiring the music...i.e. I know everyone won't want to buy a cd every week, especially if they might end up hating it. I was thinking YouTube links to the studio songs? (they are not always up there though - any other suggestions?)

I guess the other challenge would be to ensure everyone listens to the whole thing and not just 1 song before they decide they hate it.

Anyway, if this flops, no big deal...i'll still be out there finding new music all the time! Cheers suckas!!

I think it’s a cool idea, as long as I can drink while participating. That’s pretty much my rule for any activity, if I can’t do it and drink at the same time it’s not worth doing. Do you want to try to do this here? On the forum I mean?

Thats what I was thinking. We all have such broad tastes that it would be a good group to learn from...

That said...17 views, 1 reply...dunno if its gonna get the interest it needs to get off the ground. No big deal...its still early in the day!

If anyone has good ideas on how to make it work, please comment!

If you tihnk i'm an idiot, i'll ask that you bite your tongue. :) ahah

Thats what I was thinking. We all have such broad tastes that it would be a good group to learn from...

That said...17 views, 1 reply...dunno if its gonna get the interest it needs to get off the ground. No big deal...its still early in the day!

If anyone has good ideas on how to make it work, please comment!

If you tihnk i'm an idiot, i'll ask that you bite your tongue. :) ahah

Soooo good to know my reply counted for something... [confused]

I'm in. sounds cool, but the problem here would be that it is the internet. Guys like Shred (you) myself and Evol listen to music that almost everyone else on here hates and thinks is crap. I mean look at that one thread about At The Drive In. Everything was just a flame war about how much the music back in the 70s was better. People have too many pre conceived notions, and since its the internet and they don't have to meet anyone face to face with the fear of getting decked, people will just rip on something just because they can.

I think it can work, but I think it might work better on like MLP with an invite group or else it will just go south IMO.

Yeah...it could go south but if everyone "joins up" with th eexpectation that there will be mutual respect given, we should be able to keep it together.

Besides, depending on the size of the group, the "weird music guys" like us would only have their suggestion every 8 weeks or something...i'm sure we can all deal with that. I'll start gentle on you guys hehehe....variety is the spice of life! Lets expand our tastes outward by making ourselves uncomfortable!

Anyone else?

Sounds like a good idea. We just have to figure out a way to get the album without having to buy a new one each time. people won't want to spend money on something they areen't sure they will like. Do libraries lend CD's and would they be likely to have what we listen to here?

I'd be interested.

As for libraries lending CDs. Some do. I know here in Boston you can get CDs out of the Boston Public Library system, and most of the colleges here lend them as well. Their collections don't seem to be that far out of date, but new releases are questionable. Depends who's in charge of it.

Smaller library systems in smaller towns is anyone's guess.

OK we have a few interesteds...thats good.

If you're down, please PM me...i will attempt to work on a model for this to work without anyone have to spend money...

When i have the details, i will share with all who are interested via PM. Cheers!

P.S. Remember, by "joining" you are agreeing to be respectful of others choices.....we don't want any "Thats not music" type comments! [thumbdn]

How would we pick WHO picks the music?

I can think of a few solid ways;

1.) We all vote on a member to pick the next album

2.) We all vote on albums suggested for the week by members

3.) Or we could do one of those "This week in music" ones where we pick from albums released that week from last year, ten years, or longer

Archived