Gibson Brands Forums

Female Singers

Rocky4

Jax...

FYI, Lacy J was a fan of Karen Dalton - I don't think they were related...

Karen did a lotta stuff with Fred Neil, Tim Hardin... Dylan... She also played a big Gibson 12 at her peak, along with a Pete Seeger style long-neck banjo. She was a good picker.

Drugs and booze and finally AIDS did her in in the 90s... no more records after about '71.

Sad.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amy Lee haunts me.

Seems people either love her or hate her, very little in between.

I'm in the "love her" camp, but I don't think I'd want to spend much time with her outside of listening to her sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1QoHI31cgY

Really, she seems pretty down to Earth to me. Just an entertainer with a big stage show and lots of theatrics.

One "girl" singer who impressed me increasingly with some material as she grew older is Joan Baez. Like her politics or not, she was consistent unlike some of her opinions and era.

"Cry Me a River" is a true torch classic as exemplified by Julie London and yet... Baez the super-folkie managed to make it equally torchy dozens of years later.

I think that as I've said before... there's something about musicians who hit a certain age who figure what the heck, I like that song and I'm gonna do it - whether it's what they're known for or not. And I find it interesting how many manage to do exceptionally well with "standards" as well as the folk, rock, blues or whatever that they're better known for.

Although - I gotta admit I can't quite imagine Bill Monroe doing "I left my heart in San Francisco." But who knows what he may have sung in the shower.

m

One "girl" singer who impressed me increasingly with some material as she grew older is Joan Baez. Like her politics or not, she was consistent unlike some of her opinions and era.

"Cry Me a River" is a true torch classic as exemplified by Julie London and yet... Baez the super-folkie managed to make it equally torchy dozens of years later.

I think that as I've said before... there's something about musicians who hit a certain age who figure what the heck, I like that song and I'm gonna do it - whether it's what they're known for or not. And I find it interesting how many manage to do exceptionally well with "standards" as well as the folk, rock, blues or whatever that they're better known for.

Although - I gotta admit I can't quite imagine Bill Monroe doing "I left my heart in San Francisco." But who knows what he may have sung in the shower.

m

Milrod, I agree 100%! I saw her in concert in 1973..man...what a voice! When she sang Amazing Grace acapella it just sent shills up my spine....when she finished you could hear a pin drop...her sister Mimi Farina was a great singer too.

Archived