Gibson Brands Forums

Studio Rant...

Silenced Fred

Got into the studio, showed up at 6. Now let me just say this, people can reserve studio time in 3 hour blocks, so these kids had it from 3 til 6, then I was going to have it from 6 til 9.

Well, we get in, load all of our stuff in and they are all sitting around the board, and tell me the board is ****ed up beyond belief, so now I'm like wtf, someone screwed with the board. So me and my friend jam in the room, and we work on some stuff. We decide we probably won't get anything recorded, but since we are there, might as well play.

Turns out, these kids just wired stuff wrong because they had no idea what they were doing. And to top it off? Two of them work(ed) at the studio over the summer [cursing]

So we finally get things up and running, my friend and I set up to record, and then one of them stayed back because he said he would run boards for us, he gives us the thumbs up, we play through the song, it sounded good, then we go in there, and he forgot to set up the tracks ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Seriously? Is this level of unprofessionalism standard or is it just for people who want to piss me off?

Well you can't really expect some student to be a professional. Your not paying for the studio or anything are you? What do you expect?

If everyone else is so stupid and unprofessional you should just handle it yourself.

Okay, but people who worked in the studio over the summer and not know the connections? I mean come on... I am paying for the studio, its part of the fees included in the class

Got into the studio, showed up at 6. Now let me just say this, people can reserve studio time in 3 hour blocks, so these kids had it from 3 til 6, then I was going to have it from 6 til 9.

Well, we get in, load all of our stuff in and they are all sitting around the board, and tell me the board is ****ed up beyond belief, so now I'm like wtf, someone screwed with the board. So me and my friend jam in the room, and we work on some stuff. We decide we probably won't get anything recorded, but since we are there, might as well play.

Turns out, these kids just wired stuff wrong because they had no idea what they were doing. And to top it off? Two of them work(ed) at the studio over the summer [cursing]

So we finally get things up and running, my friend and I set up to record, and then one of them stayed back because he said he would run boards for us, he gives us the thumbs up, we play through the song, it sounded good, then we go in there, and he forgot to set up the tracks ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Seriously? Is this level of unprofessionalism standard or is it just for people who want to piss me off?

Well, since you aren't dealing with professionals, this is how it goes. When you start dealing with professionals it does get better. The hurry up and wait scenario does not change. That is a constant. I did tell you it wasnt going to be anything like rehearsal or playing out live, right?

Well, since you aren't dealing with professionals, this is how it goes. When you start dealing with professionals it does get better. The hurry up and wait scenario does not change. That is a constant. I did tell you it wasnt going to be anything like rehearsal or playing out live, right?

The only good thing is, they no longer have anyone working there, so I have my friend running boards on Thursdays... he knows his ****.

It should get better, we should be able to record a ton of stuff, and I'll leave it with my friend to mix and stuff. I suck at mixing and all that stuff, I play it, record it, and if it sounds good, I leave it. I'm one of those "good enough" people. I want the live feel, and I will make sure he doesn't take that out.

The only good thing is, they no longer have anyone working there, so I have my friend running boards on Thursdays... he knows his ****.

It should get better, we should be able to record a ton of stuff, and I'll leave it with my friend to mix and stuff. I suck at mixing and all that stuff, I play it, record it, and if it sounds good, I leave it. I'm one of those "good enough" people. I want the live feel, and I will make sure he doesn't take that out.

There you go, hands on is always better. Or at least 2nd degree to "knows his siht" anyway. Dont discount the things you can do in a recording studio. Think Jimmy Page and less Stevie Ray. Like I said, its a totally different beast to actually playing the music.

If you actually want to learn some studio skills, really make an effort to think outside of your performing/playing box.

This just shows that you need to know all aspects of the business.

It's not just about playing an instrument.

I think you need knowledge of all parts of the 'job' as it is a 'job'.

Understanding how things work makes you a better musician as you can think ahead.

I'd say let this be a lesson. Try and do some voluntary wotk in a studio to understand things. Just step back from the music and learn how a PA works. How the drums go together. Read up on studio work. It'll save you time and money in the future.

Steep learning curve and valuable experience

I agree that to learn all the processes is important

Then you can check on other peoples' input with knowledge

And pre-empt incompetence and time wasting

Don't laugh

But why not book a man-management course...it's useful

In most music situations....

Okay, but people who worked in the studio over the summer and not know the connections? I mean come on... I am paying for the studio, its part of the fees included in the class

What you're likely paying for is the cost of media (CDRs, DAT, tape, etc.) and possibly electricity and other maintenance costs, not studio time for recording a personal project. The studio is there on campus to use for learning and screwing up stuff is part of the learning process. If you want to record in a professional studio with a professional engineer, you're going to have to pony up a lot more money than what you're paying the school in fees for that class. It sucks that your time in the studio got wasted, but them's the breaks and all you can do is schedule for another free block of time.

Archived