Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard Logic

bluesguitar65

Anyone familar with this instructional theory book, Fretboard Logic by Bill Edwards? Lots of guitar players seem to swear by it. Many state that its a new, faster and easier learning approach to guitar theory using the CAGED system.

http://www.amazon.com/Fretboard-Logic-SE-Reasoning-Arpeggios/dp/0962477060/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b#reader_0962477060

51CTANCRF0L._SS500_.jpg

It's been a big help to me. Makes sense how chords are formed and where different voicings can be found throughout the fret board. I have not gotten through the scale section yet however!

I may just pick a copy up. Hell its only $14.00 USD at Amazon for the Special Edition containing book 1 and 2 combined. I've heard so many good things about the CAGED system on how it shows logical patterns on the fretboard on chord theory and scales. So has it improved your understanding and playing?

I have the books and DVD, but this particular approach confused me.

I also have many other CAGED teaching systems, which work better for me.

Dan Denley is good for me.

I think each of us has to find the system that "clicks" best. What's right for me might not be right for you.

Right now I'm working on some Barrett Tagliarino books. "Guitar Fretboard Workbook", and "Guitar Reading Workbook".

These start at an elementary level and then build on previous lessons.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no "magic bullet" system that will make me say, "That's it! I have it!"

As I learn more in other systems, Fretboard Logic makes perfect sense. It's just not the tool that gives me a "Eureka" moment. In fact, I think "Guitar Fretboard Workbook" is the most "Eureka!" book I've yet found. This book makes you work out the scales on your own, and teaches you to find the fretboard patterns on your own, rather than just spelling them out for you and depending on your memorizing them.

Basic concepts, built upon, slowly but surely. I think this is the way to go.

I gave up trying to find the magical formula. I know a lot of chords, scales, licks, and riffs. I want to understand music, rather than just be able to play songs by tab and ear.

I travel for a living, so I don't have the luxury of a living, breathing teacher. I depend on DVD's and books.

If you just want to learn to play some songs, I recommend Hal Leonard "play along" books w/CD's. If you want to learn to be a musician, I recommend trying everything you can find until something "clicks" for you.

Dan Denley has helped me more than any other, but I still have to go elsewhere to get everything I want in my limited guitar education.

Fretboard Logic is good. Great, even. I think it's for someone with a slightly higher musical education than I had when I got it.

Check out Dan Denley. He has some free videos on YouTube. He may seem boring at times, and he certainly doesn't have a "rocker" persona, but he breaks things down simply enough that it works for me.

I got Fretboard Logic before I started taking lessons. I still use the CAGED system as a foundation for remembering major/minor, pentatonic, and blues scale patterns, especially while moving horizonally on the neck.

For chord structures up and down the fretboard, there are easier systems.

I like the whole Fretboard Logic collection.

But you know when you get bored with guitar...all of your books are old and dogeared..you have seen every chord book in the world and nothing seems to challenge you?

That is when you need Jody Fishers 30 Day Guitar Work Out.....

I looked it over, never used it because I already knew the material as barre equivalents.

It's surprising how many don't know barre equivalents - which is what CAGED exploits.

Knowing those equivalents is very useful.

Truth.

I guess that's what I meant when I said that there are so many other ways to learn the same thing.

Archived