Gibson Brands Forums

How can I get better sustain?

Tman5293

My SG has some awful sustain for reasons I cannot comprehend. My action is a little high because I like it that way. How can I get some more sustain out of it? Does it have something to do with the fact that my stopbar is kinda low? All of the strings touch the back of the bridge because my bridge is high and the stopbar is low.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of strings do you use and how long have they been on your guitar?

You might want to raise your stopbar a bit. I thought about it and if they touch on the back of the bridge, it may be reducing the downforce on the bridge and killing sustain. The force of the strings might be being distributed to the back of the bridge as opposed to right on the saddle where you want it. I don't know how much of a difference that would really make though.

If your guitar has terrible sustain to begin with, a good amp won't really help much. You could use a compressor pedal but it's better to just have a guitar that sustains forever to begin with.

What kind of strings do you use and how long have they been on your guitar?

You might want to raise your stopbar a bit. I thought about it and if they touch on the back of the bridge, it may be reducing the downforce on the bridge and killing sustain. The force of the strings might be being distributed to the back of the bridge as opposed to right on the saddle where you want it. I don't know how much of a difference that would really make though.

If your guitar has terrible sustain to begin with, a good amp won't really help much. You could use a compressor pedal but it's better to just have a guitar that sustains forever to begin with.

I use Ernie Ball Titanium Coated .10-.46. They've been on there for less than a month. I suspected it was the stop bar. The strings aren't supposed to touch the back of the bridge are they?

Ok so I guess we can rule out the strings (although I've read that titanium strings destroy your frets).

I'm not sure there's a "rule" saying your strings can't touch the back of the bridge, but I set my SG up so that the stopbar is as low as possible without the strings touching the back of the bridge.

I just raised my action on the treble side of my SG the other day and it really improved sustain. I found the sweet spot.

Y'know, it could be your technique. How close to the frets do you fret your notes? How is your touch?

Well, that's what I meant. Technique includes optimizing all variables...

Clean hands (gunk dulls sustain) - lots of folks clean their guitar when they're finished playing, but some don't always wash their hands first.

Now that's mean! (I gave you a plus, BTW.)

Y'know, it could be your technique. How close to the frets do you fret your notes? How is your touch?

Depends on how fast I'm playing. it's usually pretty damn close to the fret. I tend to press down on the strings a little on the harder side. But lately I've been working on playing lighter both with my picking hand and my fretting hand.

Adjusting the tailpiece really isn't going to add sustain to the SG. I have two SG's and they lack sustain in comparison to my Les Pauls.

I use a Keeley 4-knob compressor and adjust it a little differently to help out my guitars that lack in the sustain department. I don't like turning up the gain to achieve more sustain... Too much fuzz kills the warmth

Archived