Gibson Brands Forums

Randy Rhoads LP

chengin

Keep in mind this guitar is based on the actual Randy Rhoads LP Custom as it looks NOW, not as it looked when he was playing

with Ozzy. The Custom Shop tells us that the guitar is quite yellow now. This is indeed consistent with how 70s era white

finishes would look today. I suspect the photos have also enhanced the yellow a bit, and that guitar at Wildwood probably does not have that neon

tint it appears to have.

Just picked up mine yesterday. Funny I went to buy a pre owned univibe and walked out with R R #23. I have to say after all the LP's I have owned this one is at the top of the list for tone,balance of pickups,playabilty and looks.

I'll pass. I don't get into this "aged, reliced, worn" whatever fad of guitar finishes.

If I am gonna spend that kind of cash on an artist signature model,

I want it to look like it does in pictures of him playing it, not what it looks like 25 years after he died.

That's silly.

You gonna by the Thomas Magnum signature Ferrari, but what it looks like now, 25 years later after the paint has fadded off from sitting in a lot under the blazing Hawaiian sun, turned some odd color of yellow, is rusting and the interior rotted - so it looks nothing like what people remember seeing - Yeah, rockin! (And the price is the same as a new one)

I'll pass. I don't get into this "aged, reliced, worn" whatever fad of guitar finishes.

If I am gonna spend that kind of cash on an artist signature model,

I want it to look like it does in pictures of him playing it, not what it looks like 25 years after he died.

That's silly.

You gonna by the Thomas Magnum signature Ferrari, but what it looks like now, 25 years later after the paint has fadded off from sitting in a lot under the blazing Hawaiian sun, turned some odd color of yellow, is rusting and the interior rotted - so it looks nothing like what people remember seeing - Yeah, rockin! (And the price is the same as a new one)

I don't disagree totally with you but there are a few ways to look at this. I'll explain why I bought mine. Money in the bank pays between 1 -1.5% per year in a typical savings account. Inflation is at 3-3.5% and cost of living increases another 3-3.5%. So in reality a person loses 5%-6% per year on their money by letting a bank use it. Then let us not forget you have to pay our partners the IRS on that 1%. This purchase was motivated strictly by investment. I have never ever lost a penny on a collectible instrument but plenty with Wall St and the banks.

I don't disagree totally with you but there are a few ways to look at this. I'll explain why I bought mine. Money in the bank pays between 1 -1.5% per year in a typical savings account. Inflation is at 3-3.5% and cost of living increases another 3-3.5%. So in reality a person loses 5%-6% per year on their money by letting a bank use it. Then let us not forget you have to pay our partners the IRS on that 1%. This purchase was motivated strictly by investment. I have never ever lost a penny on a collectible instrument but plenty with Wall St and the banks.

I hope you like your guitar, and that it brings you good fortune.

Oh, without a doubt, you will most likely gain over time. I'm not trying to be a d*ck to people who like it, I just don't get the logic of making a signature guitar that looks like it does many years after RR has died.

Is Gibson going to make another JP and Slash signature Les Paul 20+ years after they are dead and make it look like it does in that future time?

Here's a catchy name for the series:

Gibson Post-Mortem Signature Edition

Edit: BTW Gibson, if you use that title, I want credit! [flapper]

gibson-les-paul-randy-rhoads-custom-guitar.jpg

There seems to be a general assumption by many that Gibson gets to do whatever it wants when it comes to these artist signature

models. But please keep in mind that we are negotiating with the actual artist or, in this case, the artist's family. The end

result is often dictated by the artist (or family) and must be approved by them before a model ever reaches a dealer.

There seems to be a general assumption by many that Gibson gets to do whatever it wants when it comes to these artist signature

models. But please keep in mind that we are negotiating with the actual artist or, in this case, the artist's family. The end

result is often dictated by the artist (or family) and must be approved by them before a model ever reaches a dealer.

I understand that, but if what the artist or surviving family wants is not really what the fans who are going to buy it wants - Gibson could always say "Nevermind" and not do it.

I'm curious if any kind of fan survey was done or if you just heard the "I wish there was a RR signature model" and that's as far as the ear listened.

I wonder why the family didn't make Marshall age the RR signature amp.......

So, if the family wanted the guitar to have single coils and be painted with pink zebra stripes and Flintstone cartoon stickers all over it, Gibson would still continue with the project and release it?

LOL - ok, dead horse now, soap box retired.

Oh, without a doubt, you will most likely gain over time. I'm not trying to be a d*ck to people who like it, I just don't get the logic of making a signature guitar that looks like it does many years after RR has died.

Is Gibson going to make another JP and Slash signature Les Paul 20+ years after they are dead and make it look like it does in that future time?

Here's a catchy name for the series:

Gibson Post-Mortem Signature Edition

Edit: BTW Gibson, if you use that title, I want credit! [flapper]

gibson-les-paul-randy-rhoads-custom-guitar.jpg

Love it! That was a lugh much needed today. Thank you.

I understand that, but if what the artist or surviving family wants is not really what the fans who are going to buy it wants - Gibson could always say "Nevermind" and not do it.

I'm curious if any kind of fan survey was done or if you just heard the "I wish there was a RR signature model" and that's as far as the ear listened.

So, if the family wanted the guitar to have single coils and be painted with pink zebra stripes and Flintstone cartoon stickers all over it, Gibson would still continue with the project and release it?

Doesn't matter what "fans" want. Slap the "limited edition" term on it and collectors buy 'em. How many RR "limited editions" did Jackson make? I don't know but I know they have released them every few years. Some models slightly different from others. The term limited edition is a joke and a marketing ploy and it works. But whatev....not for eveyone. Only people with deep pockets...most of the time. It's rare a ltd. ed. doesn't cost an arm and a leg but it does ensure they get snatched up super fast and then sold at a much higher price later. Seriously, those 50s studios are for sale on ebay already at higher prices than the original sticker price when they 1st came out which was just a few months ago.

I'll stop beating aforementioned horse too.

[confused]

In some cases a signature model can be a very cool thing: The Jimmy Page #1 and #2, the Warren Haynes LP, the Kiefer Suthe -- scratch that last example... [rolleyes]

But this is basically a white -- ok, it's actually yellow -- Norlin era Custom with some guy's name on it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Gibson, give us "Old Black"! [-o<

seems fair, and I get ya on the relicing trend.

I've never seen a pancake body spilt [confused] .... This has me worried because I'm actively looking for a clean 72 LPD.

One thing I have noticed about my 80 LPC is the nitro lacquer or whatever it's called, is starting to chip off the binding on the body in a certain area. But other than that, the thing is built like a tank

Again your a exception to the rule due to your taking care of your instrument etc.... Although I have seen a few Norlins do what I described. The cracking is also a known issue and sadly unless its addressed it will continue. There was even one on Pawn Stars and the guy tried telling Rick it was a mid 60's LP and the tell tell signs of the lacquer splitting around the outside of the body of that LP. I knew it was a Norlin when he first opened the case and started mis-informing Rick... lol His original bottom line price to Rick was over 25 grand ( it was beat to he11 and back) after Ricks expert looked at it a offer for under 2g was made by Rick. The guy kept the guitar to sell another time and who knows maybe to someone who was less informed....

ah what a good episode...made all guitar enthusiast chuckle inside..

Again your a exception to the rule due to your taking care of your instrument etc.... Although I have seen a few Norlins do what I described. The cracking is also a known issue and sadly unless its addressed it will continue. There was even one on Pawn Stars and the guy tried telling Rick it was a mid 60's LP and the tell tell signs of the lacquer splitting around the outside of the body of that LP. I knew it was a Norlin when he first opened the case and started mis-informing Rick... lol His original bottom line price to Rick was over 25 grand ( it was beat to he11 and back) after Ricks expert looked at it a offer for under 2g was made by Rick. The guy kept the guitar to sell another time and who knows maybe to someone who was less informed....

Who was that moron? Played it for 25 years and thought it was from 1960?

It's a pancake body with a volute. So were the Townshend LPs. These are precise replicas.

I've had a Norlin Era LPD for over 30 years, gigged it hard for a long time and never had an issue with it other than the stock tuners which I replaced with rotomatics. The way Pete played them shows they can hold up on the road, sound and play great. I've owned a bunch of Les Pauls and while the LPD isn't the best one I've owned it is one I've kept in the stable for a long time. Not a thing wrong with the pancake body. B)

Archived