Gibson Brands Forums

Rubber Soul

Bowdiddley

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought they became great with Meet the Beatles (in America). I actually remember it and I was pretty young but had older sisters. What ever they thought was cool, was cool. Love it still and have it on my ipod.

I thought they became great with Meet the Beatles (in America). I actually remember it and I was pretty young but had older sisters. What ever they thought was cool, was cool. Love it still and have it on my ipod.

Actually their first album was "Introducing The Beatles."

But I thought they became great with Meet the Beatles - before Rubber Soul (Wasn't saying it was their first, just stating my humble opinion and no disrespect intended).

Meet the Beatles now, makes my teeth ache [biggrin] .... But for its time I'm sure it was ground shaking.... My interest in the Beatles started with Hard Days Night [thumbup] .... Love the bright red album cover

Ground shaking - I agree.

My teeth unfortunately ache for other reasons [woot]

I hate "Drive My Car."

I always thought "The Word" was sort of a poor offering, too.

The rest of the album's great, though.

...For the record: I happen to think that there were better (or, at least more interesting to me) albums out in 1965. Amongst them are The Angry Young Them (which is great for many reasons, but mostly for "Here Comes The Night" and "Gloria",) Bert Jansch's self-titled album, Otis Redding's 1965 releases (especially the classic Otis Blue,) Johnny Cash's Orange Blossom Special, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band's debut album, and especially Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited. Overall '65 was a good year for music, it seems, and Rubber Soul was no exception--it was a very, very good album indeed.

That's when they became great

Stop the presses! Duane and I agree. Rubber Soul was one of the musical moments that framed my musical preferences for life. I had always liked the Beatles but with this album they became my favorite band. Great, great songs. And when they followed up with the equally masterful Revolver...................... B)

A friend from school was from Liverpool. When the album released that was all he listened to. A great album. My Beatle album that I I play like that is Abbey Road. "Golden Slumbers" goes through my head for a long time.

That's when they became great

I agree!

Make no mistake, The Beatles were a great live rock band before they even became famous. Indeed Rubber Soul is a masterpiece!

J

"

They were a great live band but I am so much more impressed with their studio work. They changed everything.

Actually their 1st album was "Please Please Me"

Craig

Yup, Craig is right:

The first album was "Please Please Me", released on March 22, 1963; the second album, "With the Beatles", followed on November 22, 1963; and "Introducing the Beatles" finally came out on January 10, 1964, making it the third Beatles album. Ahhh, those were the days. I remember them well!

OK, not really. My parents weren't even married at the time, but the internet is a great source of information. [biggrin]

It seems to be the one album claimed by both the early teenyboppers and later psychedelic faction.

I think they are one of the few bands that grew up as their fan base matured. So in that way I think they really challenged their fans.

There was something new on every album whether it was the Ric 12 string on AHDN, the sitar on RS, or the Moog synth on Abbey rd.

There are some great stories from Ringo and Geoff Emerick about how the other 3 wanted a different drum sound on every new song.

Great cover too.

The photo of The Beatles on the Rubber Soul cover appears stretched. McCartney relates the story behind this in Volume 5 of the documentary film Anthology. Photographer Bob Freeman had taken some pictures of The Beatles at Lennon's house. Freeman showed the photos to the group by projecting them onto an album-sized piece of cardboard to simulate how they would appear on an album cover. The unusual Rubber Soul album cover came to be when the slide card fell slightly backwards, elongating the projected image of the photograph and stretching it. Excited by the effect, they shouted, "Ah! Can we have that? Can you do it like that?" Freeman said he could.

Yup, Craig is right:

The first album was "Please Please Me", released on March 22, 1963; the second album, "With the Beatles", followed on November 22, 1963; and "Introducing the Beatles" finally came out on January 10, 1964, making it the third Beatles album. Ahhh, those were the days. I remember them well!

OK, not really. My parents weren't even married at the time, but the internet is a great source of information. [biggrin]

Well you're comparing British to American releases. Here in the USA "Introducing" was in some stores before the Beatles did Sullivan but not many. Meet the Beatles was the first record we could buy on a national level.

I remember first hearing them in 1963 when my family was driving in Washington headed to British Columbia...blew me away... the stuff out then was lame by comparison.

I always liked Rubber Soul more than any other Beatles album, including Sgt. Peppers.

Archived