Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Choice

IanHenry

I know there are countless posts on here asking for suggestions as to which amp to use. I play a Les Paul Classic Antique with the 57 & 57 plus pickups, and I like Blues and classic Blues/Rock sounds, i.e. Paul Kossoff, Peter Green and Gary Moore etc but I also like a lot of sustain sometimes.

The amp is for home use only

I have narrowed my choice down to two possibilities (I think), the VHT Special 6 combo:

http://www.vhtamp.com/avsp16.html

And the new VOX Valvetronic+ VT 20:

http://www.voxamps.com/uk/valvetronixplus/vtplus/#page_specifications

The Vox comes with lots of bells and whistles (to many to list here) plus modelling for 33 different amps (could that be too many knobs to play with?) and the VHT is as simple as it can be

I don’t have the opportunity to test the VHT as there are very few dealers for them here in the U.K, so to buy that amp seems like a bit of a gamble, although it does sound good on various U Tube videos.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.

When confronted with such a choice, I always buy the tube amp (in this case the VHT). If confronted with two tube amps I always buy the one with the least knobs or bells and whistles (also in this case the VHT).

There are many other amp possibilities of course. For under $1000 there are a number of quality tube heads in the 15-18 watt range that nail those classic sounds really well. I'm sure there are a bunch of combos as well. But the sounds of the players you mentioned don't come from bells and whistles, they come from tubes.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I understand that the Vox is a tube amp (a hybrid type of thing). The Marshall Class 5 looks ok, but I want to play at low levels and as it’s not got a hi gain channel I don’t think I will be able to get the amp to “come alive”, and also it’s twice the price of those two (they are a lot more expensive here in the U.K, for example the VHT is only $200 in the U.S, but £200 here in the U.K, nearly twice the price!

Ian.

I've had a Valvetronix for a few years now and I like it....great choice of models from AC30TB to US HiGain

You really can get sustain at low volumes which is very useful for home use.... [thumbup]

:-({|=

+1 I have a VT30 and love it. The only regret I have is that I didn't buy it sooner.

Well, thanks for all your suggestions chaps. I decided on the Vox VT20+ in the end. I went and picked one up this morning, and so far I’m pretty impressed with it, it has everything I’m ever likely to need in an amp. I think probably the others will excel in their particular are, but the Vox seems to be able to do everything, there doesn’t seem to be any amp that it can’t replicate. I particularly like the power setting which enables you to have the amp cranked up to full volume, but still keep the sound low!

Regards,

Ian. :rolleyes:

I found a VHT dealer by accident last week near my house and am going to give it a play

this weekend.

I have a VT30 and love but I really like the simplicity and sound of my Champ 600.

I am still planning on buying a Blues Jr unless the VHT will do what I want, and for $300 less

maybe a done deal.

I did play a Lil Night train the other day and it just sounded very thin through the matching cabinet.

Archived