Gibson Brands Forums

Keep your car tuned up - or else!

NeoConMan

KC Police Fire at Backfiring Van

Fri, Nov. 12, 2010

Two Kansas City police officers who thought they were being shot at from inside a van returned fire Thursday night.

Only later did police realize that the van was actually backfiring and the man inside was not armed.

He was not injured by the shots fired by police.

Windows of the police car were apparently shot out by the officers as they exited the patrol car.

The officers were dispatched on a report of shots being fired from a white van just before 6 p.m. Thursday

on Gregory Boulevard near Interstate 435.

When the officers got to the area they saw a white van parked on Gregory and pulled up near it.

As they were getting out of the patrol car they heard the backfiring and fired their weapons.

Police are continuing to investigate the incident.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/12/2425221/kc-police-fire-at-backfiring-van.html#ixzz158kXjLHh

That's one of those things I've discussed for YEARS in the various chemical or power plants I've worked in.

The politically correct thing (supposedly to avoid liability) is to scrub all the names and details from official reports.

When the report is distributed, you can't even figure out what the hell happened.

FxCK that.

Leave 'em in there if it's something that happened in public, with public employees.

If those cops have trouble living it down - GOOD!

If they cannot accept their mistakes and do their job to the best of their ability, let 'em go.

Admitting you goofed, then explaining how it all went down is very instructional to all your peers.

Aviation is the ONLY area I know of that sanitizes very little from their reports on accidents.

You might not know the name, but you'll usually know the facts when the FAA is done.

Aviation is the ONLY area I know of that sanitizes very little from their reports on accidents.

You might not know the name, but you'll usually know the facts when the FAA is done.

That's just it. The FAA don't own the planes, nor employ those involved.

Here's a red letter day, NeoConMan is giving the thumbs up to a government entity, the feds, no less. [thumbup]

Truth be told NeoConMan, It's been a long, long time since I've heard a car backfire. Don't know if'n it has to do with the advent of the Cadillac converter or EFI, but I think the current engine designs have pretty much eliminated backfiring. It could be the cops never heard a car backfire, exspecially if they have more hair on their head than their ears.

"After Kansas City police shot at Phillip Ransom’s van, it was left with bullet holes and a shattered rear

window."

I only see on bullet hole, well that and the shattered rear window. Actually it appears to be a side window. Was the reporter even IN KC?

Speaking of aviation and backfires, you should hear one coming from a jet engine.

Spent 5 years running a quartet of General Electric 7FA gas turbines in a power plant.

The more I learned about those massive beasts, the more I appreciated the flying ones built so lightly.

Ours weighed 400,000 pounds before the generator was coupled to them.

Turned only 3,600 rpm.

Made 640,000 gross shaft horsepower 24/7/365 - with only three turbine sections.

(17 stages in the compressor)

A flame-out would shake the earth.

I remember talking to old SR-71 guys about what was euphemistically called an "unstart" at altitude...

Seen pictures, heard stories about aviation turbines destroying themselves.

Amazing that there's ANYTHING left of the wing, let alone the turbine - considering their speeds and tolerances.

Speaking of aviation and backfires, you should hear one coming from a jet engine. We had the #2 engine back fire repeatedly in Daharan Saudi Arabia. When I stepped off the plane I had several automatic rifles pointed at my head. :huh:

Shouldn't a et them beans on the flight eh?

Spent 5 years running a quartet of General Electric 7FA gas turbines in a power plant.

The more I learned about those massive beasts, the more I appreciated the flying ones built so lightly.

Ours weighed 400,000 pounds before the generator was coupled to them.

Turned only 3,600 rpm.

Made 640,000 gross shaft horsepower 24/7/365 - with only three turbine sections.

(17 stages in the compressor)

A flame-out would shake the earth.

I remember talking to old SR-71 guys about what was euphemistically called an "unstart" at altitude...

Seen pictures, heard stories about aviation turbines destroying themselves.

Amazing that there's ANYTHING left of the wing, let alone the turbine - considering their speeds and tolerances.

I crewed on the KC-10s, they have three General Electric CF6-50C2 engines. Very reliable engine. We never could figure out what was wrong with that engine while we were in Saudi. It ended up getting replaced. I was told that the fire balls were very impressive.

Oh man the SR-71 was an awesome bird. I had the pleasure of seeing one take off in RAF Mildenhall. One moment it was on the hammerhead, and in the next moment it was gone. All that was left was was a the largest roar I ever heard along with a small earthquake.

Archived