Gibson Brands Forums

"Dot" on the way

cjlandry

I've been wanting one for a while. Almost traded a guitar toward one a few days ago, but the trade-in offer was too low.

Found a pretty used sunburst flametop on MF. Decided to take a chance. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

HNUGD! make sure you post pics!

An interesting turn of events.

I bought the guitar based on photos they had, which clearly showed the scratches on the back of the guitar. Nothing really, but still less than perfect.

I received a backorder notice Saturday evening. I guess they sold it to someone else and failed to pull the ad from their website.

So I called them today, to ask how they could possibly backorder a used instrument. I certainly didn't want to just sit around and wait for their next random returned Dot Flametop.

Carol, at Customer Service, didn't even wait for me to ask. She said that she'd send me a brand new one at the same price as the used one.

So I'm getting a new Dot Flametop for the price of the Dot Studio. [cool]

I can't complain about that.

cjlandry, it is a small world. You weren't the only one after that used flametop Dot. I ordered it too. I also got a backorder notice and made a phone call to MF. I too have a new guitar coming tomorrow at the used price. [thumbup] This very same thing happened with MF a few months ago. I ordered a "used" Epiphone Hummingbird, got the backorder notice, made a call and got a new one at the used price. I give MF a 10 for customer service! (BTW cj, I lived/worked in Corpus Christi for KRYS and KEYS radio stations from '76-'82.)

cjlandry, it is a small world. You weren't the only one after that used flametop Dot. I ordered it too. I also got a backorder notice and made a phone call to MF. I too have a new guitar coming tomorrow at the used price. [thumbup] This very same thing happened with MF a few months ago. I ordered a "used" Epiphone Hummingbird, got the backorder notice, made a call and got a new one at the used price. I give MF a 10 for customer service! (BTW cj, I lived/worked in Corpus Christi for KRYS and KEYS radio stations from '76-'82.)

I spent most of my life in Baton Rouge, where I was born and raised. Moved to CC in '03. My wife was living here when I met her, 16 years ago.

Love it! But I miss BR. Sometimes, she does too.

Looks like it may be a good thing to jump on a used "cosmetic blem" guitar from time to time. I hope that my new guitar is as pretty as the one that I missed out on.

+1 on the customer service from MF. They really do a good job. I've never had any problems with that place at all. The only thing I ever returned was a Vox wah that stopped working after about a month and by then I already had another wah, so I got store credit for the full amount, no questions asked, and used it towards something else.

Great news you guys, I'm sure you can't wait for it to arrive and'll be over the moon when it does.

Thumbs up MF for keeping a double dot dream alive, terrific service.

I have no complaints about them so far.

I've saved quite a few Benjamins from them over the past 5 years of dealing with them.

The big brown truck came today and delivered a beautiful Epiphone Dot Deluxe Flame Top. I tuned, plugged in and played. It sounds great. I have heard some diss the stock pickups, but I like them. The guitar will get a new set of 10's and set up (it's a little sharp when fretted at the 12th fret on all six.) It is a beauty. Here are some pictures right out of the box.

Flametop3.jpg

Flametop2.jpg

Flametop1.jpg

It's on the way I'm sure cj. It takes a little longer as far south as you are. I'm fairly close to the Kansas City warehouse so if I order something from MF before noon, I usually have it the next afternoon. Those UPS guys are on the ball.

While we're talking about Dots, I have a 2010 Dot in natural too. It's a smooth player and sounds great. But my initial impression is the pickups on the Deluxe sound a little brighter and punchier to me. Does anyone know for sure if there is a difference in the pickups on the regular Dots and the Deluxe Dots?

It's on the way I'm sure cj. It takes a little longer as far south as you are. I'm fairly close to the Kansas City warehouse so if I order something from MF before noon, I usually have it the next afternoon. Those UPS guys are on the ball.

While we're talking about Dots, I have a 2010 Dot in natural too. It's a smooth player and sounds great. But my initial impression is the pickups on the Deluxe sound a little brighter and punchier to me. Is there a difference in the pickups on the regular Dots and the Deluxe Dots?

I'll probably change pickups anyway.

I have a thing for Seymour Duncan pickups, and I'll probably install some variation before too long.

What excellent customer service by MF, there's a lot of retailers around in OZ (and probably around the globe) who could learn from that attitude.

Enjoy the Dots fellas, and keep us posted on how they go.

+1

Absolutely, most retailers in Oz could learn from this.

The big brown truck came today and delivered a beautiful Epiphone Dot Deluxe Flame Top. I tuned, plugged in and played. It sounds great. I have heard some diss the stock pickups, but I like them. The guitar will get a new set of 10's and set up (it's a little sharp when fretted at the 12th fret on all six.) It is a beauty. Here are some pictures right out of the box.

Flametop3.jpg

It still blows my mind how much guitar you get for the money with a Dot, especially a flametop. There was nothing like this available for cheap when I was in music school in the 70's.

Of course you could buy 60's strats back then for $200, but no one wanted them. [crying]

Congrats!

PS: Change out the jack and switch first chance you get...

Archived