Gibson Brands Forums

Rare Epi LP and Phat Cats

Blue Fog Experiment

I'm new to the forum and so I'd like to introduce you to an extremely rare Les Paul. She's a Birdseye-Maple in a nice Red Wine. Notice she's not a Quilted top - but rather a straight-up Birdseye Maple. Picked her up off of Craigslist and did some normal modifications from my shop. 1st off I had to fix a gouge - matching the color was a b!tch but finally was able to do it. 2nd - stripped out all the electronics and completely redid everything - cloth wiring, CTS pots, Switchcraft Switch and 2 new SD Phat-Cat P-90s. Lowered the action, set the intonation and she just sings. I have a collection of vintage capacitors and I outfitted this one with an original set of Black Beauties from 1959 - Incredible tone.

post-27104-080345000 1289791137_thumb.jpg

I've uploaded another photo that hopefully shows the Birdseye Maple better... (If you saw it in person, you'd know it's a different cap) I had been looking for a Wine-Colored quilted classic for over a year and nobody had one. I lost out on a few on eBay too but I found this one and boy - once I got her cleaned up and rewired, she's quite a player. Ironically, after I got her - a couple of true-quilted ones became available and to me, they just don't look at cool.

Anyways - If you're looking for something different in your LP, try out some HB-sized P-90s. A whole new tonal range becomes available to you. Funny, I ordered new Top Hat knobs and then accidentally send me ones that "go to 11" - it just adds to the charm.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum group(s).

post-27104-068487200 1289867106_thumb.jpg

Yep - exactly like that only in Wine. Impossible to really photograph well with my camera - especially this color. I was an extremely limited run back in 05 based on what Gibson/Epiphone told me. Some sort of weird special dealer only production - who knows? It's definately cooler looking than the traditional quilted top. Never saw one like yours though - cool.

I've uploaded another photo that hopefully shows the Birdseye Maple better... (If you saw it in person, you'd know it's a different cap)

Yes. I can see it now. Figuring can be very difficult to photograph. I had a bear of a time getting the flame in my Strat neck to show up clearly. And it's very flamed.

40506_1607399704274_1214625898_31663621_141999_n.jpg

I really think Wire-red is the best color for LP Standards. It's very nice, indeed.

Nice looking guitar, it's not "over the top" in quilt. I never have been a fan of flames and birdseyes..

I prefer a plain top or a painted body. Phat Cats are really nice PUP's, they need to be driven more as they are single coils and do the job quite nicely.

If you decide to do another try Duncan 59's.. I put those in my Epi LP and reworked the wiring. Major improvement..

Archived