Gibson Brands Forums

fake on ebay

plasticpigeon

Hello people

I believe this guitar to be a fraud, should I report it???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180587460580&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

why do you think it is fake?

you may be the seller trying to find out if us eagle eyed gibson players can spot your deception...jus sayin :-"

100% positive feedback, 837 transactions.

High-end/low volume guitar - marketed to probably the most discerning Gibson buyers there are.

Clear, concise listing with considerable detail and history.

Impeccable spelling, grammar.

Fake?

Hmmmmm.....

[blink][unsure]

I'm not seeing it - though I'll admit I'm no expert on the big Gibson boxes.

Educate us, please.

It looks nice.

The seller has a good record.

But the one headstock shot - from the back - doesn't quite show the cleft in the top-center of the headstock. And there's some kind of finish shadow where the back of the headstock meets the neck. A bit of concern there. Sometimes a neck gets replaced and this one isn't a Gibson neck.

And there's no pic of the front of the headstock.

The quality of the wood top and sides looks a too low to me.

I'd email and ask for a pic of the front of the headstock.

I not saying it's a fake, but I wouldn't buy it.

!B8vswngCWk~$(KGrHqIOKiIEzRzyC-coBM392evce!~~_3.JPG

"This guitar is in pristine condition..."

Not by my definition.

With all due respect to Neo, as I am sure he just gave the ad a cursory glance, but

"I call your attention upon the fact that considering a vintage instrument, I cannot certify this date of production. Please make an idea for yourself..."

"REMEMBER : I am no profesional luthier nor woodcrafstman, so the below data are given to the best of my hability, but I can not offer guarantee on it"

is most certainly not correct English grammar, and I count at least 2 spelling errors.

I didn't read the whole thing... I picked these up on my own brief scan, and it's enough for me.

My conclusion:

It may or may not have once been a Gibson, but it certainly is not one now. It's a pretty piece of wood, and does look playable, but I'd pass on it. Too many other fish in the sea.

What Chan said, the admission that the neck was replaced on a fixed neck guitar totally devaules it interms of a sellable peice.

There's more sentimental value to it than there is legitimate value. Whether or not it was a Gibson is beyond me, especially without a front shot of the headstock, but as it is now? It's just another modded guitar.

I think it is fake for lots of reasons. Why would someone change a neck on a gibson for a start??? Much more likely it just isn't a gibson! Also the front is not spruce but maple which probably makes it a laminated front. The back and sides are very plain for a super 400. The pick up selector switch is on the wrong side. I don't understand why someone would change the original 60s tailpiece for a vibrato if they were a jazz player, jazz players don't use whammy bars. There is lots of spiel about making up your own mind, almost a disclaimer!! I think it is a reasonable far eastern instrument maybe a Hondo, but it has gone beyond it's real value already because of its description. I don't really want to stick my nose in, but I also don't want anyone to get ripped off by an unscrupulous seller. I just wanted a bit of confirmation that it was definitely not what it says it is.

"I call your attention upon the fact that considering a vintage instrument, I cannot certify this date of production. Please make an idea for yourself..."

"REMEMBER : I am no profesional luthier nor woodcrafstman, so the below data are given to the best of my hability, but I can not offer guarantee on it"

is most certainly not correct English grammar, and I count at least 2 spelling errors.

He's also a French seller. I certainly know my secondary languages are only as complete as his.

He's also a French seller. I certainly know my secondary languages are only as complete as his.

Point nicely missed, thanks.

Try again, only this time, read the part where I say "With all due respect to Neo..."

Impeccable spelling, grammar.

I'm bilingual, too. My Spanish is about equal to his English, and I doubt you'll find anyone using the word "impeccable" to describe it.

kthxbai.

:)

...But the one headstock shot - from the back - doesn't quite show the cleft in the top-center of the headstock. And there's some kind of finish shadow where the back of the headstock meets the neck. A bit of concern there. Sometimes a neck gets replaced and this one isn't a Gibson neck.

And there's no pic of the front of the headstock.

+1 on non-Gibson headstock. There just is NOT a cleft.

The shadow below the E tuners is from where the flat back of the HS transitions into the neck. The wood graining continues in an as expected fashion. But, here again, it does not to appear to be Gibson-ish. It seems a bit abrupt without much thought to fit and finish.

The quality of the wood top and sides looks a too low to me.

+1 here too the sides look a bit plywood-ish.

I'd email and ask for a pic of the front of the headstock.

Not a bad idea.

I not saying it's a fake, but I wouldn't buy it.

At least not for a Gibson price.

!B8vswngCWk~$(KGrHqIOKiIEzRzyC-coBM392evce!~~_3.JPG

The label is strange, but I've not seen a lot of Gibson's of this vintage. Other thing is the penned information. It appears a bit too crisp and clear in contrast to the printed part of the label. Also the use of the European slashed "7" makes me believe that it was not penned in Kalamazoo or New York. The signature appears a bit contrived, the beginnings of a letter followed by a lazy squiggle. While I may do this some times, not usually on work I am proud to profess is mine.

That and If I were to offer a "Gibson" for sale, I'd at the very minimum get a good face shot of the headstock, not an unbranded tail shot with no serial numbers, etc.

I can't pass judgment, but it does look fishy.

In reading the description, he says the neck was replaced. There would be no Gibson logo even if you saw the face. Nor would the headstock conform to the standard Gibson shape.

Again.... it's been butchered. It's no more a Gibson guitar than Frankenstein was a Strat.

Archived