Gibson Brands Forums

after all these years of talk

MojoRedFoot

New instrument day.....I had been wanting to learn banjo for a long time but I told my self I gotta get good at mandolin. Been playing mandolin consistantly since 2002. I got an email from Sam Ash 20% $299+ today only. Quick drive from work during my lunch break and bought one [biggrin] Nothing fancy mid-grade Fender (not the starter pack). Having a blast. Took vacation day tomorrow to learn it all day. Next challenge: cello

New instrument day.....I had been wanting to learn banjo for a long time but I told my self I gotta get good at mandolin. Been playing mandolin consistantly since 2002. I got an email from Sam Ash 20% $299+ today only. Quick drive from work during my lunch break and bought one [biggrin] Nothing fancy mid-grade Fender (not the starter pack). Having a blast. Took vacation day tomorrow to learn it all day. Next challenge: cello

Yea, it's kinda hard carrying around a Grand Piano...

Congrats.....Got me a banjo, two mandolins, and a chello........Love the chello best; kinda loud to practice on; easy to learn though, and great for adding to studio recording of any style of music.....

Good for you........Try out different tunings on the mandolin.....

I`ve tried mandolin and my wife plays a bit. problem is and the thing that had me give up was even though we spent a reasonable amount on a learners basic mandolin the sound quality is never great.. best description is plunky. the higher notes are not so bad but the lower strings just sound bad. one mandy we found and loved was the Godin A8 but we just dont have the cash just now

Congrats I love the mandolin also and play it a lot almost as much as guitar sometimes. On the banjo I took the easy way out and just got a six string banjo and use guitar tuning. nobody but a real banjo aficionado can really tell the difference and honestly banjo aficionado's are kinda scary so I steer clear of them anyway. best of luck though.

Before you move on to cello try Uke's and tenor guitar they are both a lot of fun also.

A few years ago I toyed with the idea of buying a banjo.

Never played one.

Decided to get a nice one as an investment, whether I played it or not.

Kept hearing Mastertone was the way to go.

Hey, it would be cool to have a really nice one around the house for kicks, eh?

Called Gibson, wound up talking to a guy with their bluegrass factory.

Started talking prices, just to get an idea - the LOW end was a couple grand more than I expected!!!!

I don't own a banjo.

Buddy of mine played cello in high school.

Rock n roller like me, he pointed out some of the older rock songs with cello in them.

Very cool instrument, very versatile in skilled hands.

I could see the appeal of having one around, especially if recording.

nice one matt! adding another string to your bow can only be a good thing [thumbup]

Archived