Gibson Brands Forums

To celebrate 10,000 posts - again

NeoConMan

Mrs. B likes to sing. Knows most every 60's -90's song (Rock, Country)

She can name and sing that tune when hearing it on the radio in 3 notes

or less (grin). She is a poet also with verse that'll make ya cry.

Not bad for a Girl!! She's a keeper![thumbup]

My wife "used to" play piano. Something like eight years of forced formal classical piano training has soured her for life from any desires to actually play anymore. Her musical education does come in very handy for me when I'm trying to "cipher" some crazy jazz chart. She'll peck it out on piano for me.

She is a music lover and I have turned her into quite a jazzhead. She comes from a very musical and artistic family of nine adopted kids. Her father was a famous advertising "creative" man, who wrote commercials, slogans, and jingles most everyone on this website, and in the most of the developed world, would recognize. Since art and music was her father's professional life, her house was always full of it, and the kids were encouraged to pursue and experiment in the arts of any and all kinds. From what I understand family jam sessions were not uncommon. From the nine kids she a sister who is a well known ceramics artist and potter in upstate New York, a brother who is a guitarist in Ohio, and another who is an accomplished keyboard player. My wife followed in her father's footsteps in advertising and is a highly sought after graphic artist by trade. I would bet that most Americans on this website have either seen her work, have some in your cupboard, or both. We went to a bowling alley Friday night and she pointed at an advertising poster on the wall and said, "I did that".

She takes great interest in my music, and in our ten years together has only missed two or three of my gigs due to circumstances beyond her control. She even enjoys my late night practicing (on acoustic) after she has gone to bed, and will turn off the radio or TV upstairs to listen in when I'm going over jazz charts in my basement music room. For band rehearsals at our house she generally plays hostess by putting out finger foods, or even a pan of lasagna, a pot of homemade chili, or something for the boys (no wonder most of my friends like her more than they do me).

I'm one lucky guy!

You are indeed Larry!!

For the record, I stand corrected. My wife informs me that she was taught to play harmonica when she was young, and can play the organ, drum and tambourine as well. The fact that she does none of that today, I assume, has no bearing on the poll :).

My wife "used to" play piano. Something like eight years of forced formal classical piano training has soured her for life from any desires to actually play anymore. Her musical education does come in very handy for me when I'm trying to "cipher" some crazy jazz chart. She'll peck it out on piano for me.

She is a music lover and I have turned her into quite a jazzhead. She comes from a very musical and artistic family of nine adopted kids. Her father was a famous advertising "creative" man, who wrote commercials, slogans, and jingles most everyone on this website, and in the most of the developed world, would recognize. Since art and music was her father's professional life, her house was always full of it, and the kids were encouraged to pursue and experiment in the arts of any and all kinds. From what I understand family jam sessions were not uncommon. From the nine kids she a sister who is a well known ceramics artist and potter in upstate New York, a brother who is a guitarist in Ohio, and another who is an accomplished keyboard player. My wife followed in her father's footsteps in advertising and is a highly sought after graphic artist by trade. I would bet that most Americans on this website have either seen her work, have some in your cupboard, or both. We went to a bowling alley Friday night and she pointed at an advertising poster on the wall and said, "I did that".

She takes great interest in my music, and in our ten years together has only missed two or three of my gigs due to circumstances beyond her control. She even enjoys my late night practicing (on acoustic) after she has gone to bed, and will turn off the radio or TV upstairs to listen in when I'm going over jazz charts in my basement music room. For band rehearsals at our house she generally plays hostess by putting out finger foods, or even a pan of lasagna, a pot of homemade chili, or something for the boys (no wonder most of my friends like her more than they do me).

I'm one lucky guy!

Hi Larry

I am really sad to read your wife had such negative experiences with her formal lessons msp_mellow.gif

I have also heard stories from people I have chatted to in pubs (they see the guitar case and 'open up' about there own story with music), that have been quite negative too. They range from piano teachers who whacked their hands when they didn't curve their fingers properly, to teachers that just seemed disinterested in them as musicians and just very aloof, strict and impersonal. With these kind of 'role models' as musicians, it is no wonder they choose to give up eventually and have such a sour view of particularly classical music.

I am glad it is all good now though msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

I am really sad to read your wife had such negative experiences with her formal lessons msp_mellow.gif

Her problem wasn't with the teacher, or curriculum (maybe partially genre), but mostly just late 60's/early 70's rebellion against parental requirements. She was "required" to take lessons and a daily regiment of practice. All good and necessary for proficiency in classical music regurgitation, it just wasn't her "choice" or her music.

I've heard nothing but good things about her teacher, the two families were friends, and the teacher's daughter is one of her best friends to this day. They both say that I would have liked and gotten along with the teacher very well, with many common interests.

My wife also feels the same way about golf. Her dad used to have to pull her out of the swimming pool to go to her "required" golf lessons. I haven't even been able to get her to the driving range with me, but I'm still working on it. Don't get me wrong, her parents were both loving and nurturing people (they adopted 9 kids, on purpose), they were just trying to keep them all busy, and introduce them to a little culture and real world activities. Sometimes it takes, and sometimes it doesn't.

Great thread!

I am happy to report that my wife and I are on a jazz journey together.

She had classical piano lessons when she was young and learned to read and play the music written by "the people in wigs and stuff".

Just before we got together, she attended a night time jazz class out of curiosity, and encountered lead sheets. They (and all the talk of 2-5s) made absolutely no sense to her and she put jazz piano in the "maybe come back to this later" basket.

I had already started on jazz lessons by the time we got together, had got to know a few players and was able to introduce her to a jazz piano teacher.

After a while, she started attending the jazz workshop where I was cutting my teeth and we also attended jazz classes - which made a whole lot more sense this time.

We are now working out with our own quintet.

As she reflects on playing jazz, she feels that the lessons she had when she was young, while they taught her to read which is important, didn't really teach her about the more compositional aspects of music such as the harmonisation of scales, why that note or scale goes with that chord. It would be interesting to hear from other forum members whether their kids are still leaning to read at music lessons or are (also) learning to compose.

Do we play together just the two of us, outside of the band? Not so much. Guitar and piano tend to cover the same ground and we find it hard to agree that we are going to play a piece straight and not fuss about timing. We really need our bassist to sit in and "arbitrate".

RN

She can tickle the ivory, but that's about it.

If she practiced more, she'd be quite good.

Took lots of lessons when she was younger.

Sounds familiar. My sweety plays piano but is hesitant. She took 9 years of classical piano at the hands of some nasty nuns. Any imagination was strictly forbidden. She was so indoctrinated to playing exactly what was written that she has a hard time letting loose. I am very much the opposite when I'm playing. A lot of improv.

Dave

Her problem wasn't with the teacher, or curriculum (maybe partially genre), but mostly just late 60's/early 70's rebellion against parental requirements. She was "required" to take lessons and a daily regiment of practice. All good and necessary for proficiency in classical music regurgitation, it just wasn't her "choice" or her music.

I've heard nothing but good things about her teacher, the two families were friends, and the teacher's daughter is one of her best friends to this day. They both say that I would have liked and gotten along with the teacher very well, with many common interests.

My wife also feels the same way about golf. Her dad used to have to pull her out of the swimming pool to go to her "required" golf lessons. I haven't even been able to get her to the driving range with me, but I'm still working on it. Don't get me wrong, her parents were both loving and nurturing people (they adopted 9 kids, on purpose), they were just trying to keep them all busy, and introduce them to a little culture and real world activities. Sometimes it takes, and sometimes it doesn't.

Hi Larry

Sorry to get the wrong end of the stick and cheers for explaining. As you can probably tell in how I spoke (albeit, incorrectly in your situation) bullying (or just being apathetic), in a teacher, is something that I makes me sour!

Matt

My wife is a Psy-D clinical psychology candidate (if I spelled that correctly). She plays my:

emotions (often seconds them)

curiosity

ability to be introspective and learn from it.

Sings pretty well.

Loves my guitars and has agreed to occasional gas attacks. What more could you want?

Archived