Gibson Brands Forums

First Learned Song On Guitar?

MrNylon

Charlie Brown, Did your lyrics get banned from radio? I am sure that we made up some of ours because the old recordings were a little blurred.

And of course we played GLORIA. One of the first Stones songs I remember doing was Mothers LIttle Helper.

I really don't remember... it would have been some old "true" folkie thing that I'd known since I was really little. As soon as possible after that it was some "key of E" blues. Probably a local variation of the old "Backwater Blues."

RE: House of the rising sun. First version I learned had the same words, but you wouldn't recognize the old Leadbelly version as anywhere close to the same tune.

<grin> I heard very, very little rock 63-66 until there was money involved starting late '65-66. Horrid thing to say, but... the truth. Then in the early 70s it was country. Luckily most of the folks around wanted some of the 50s stuff I remembered a bit.

m

I learned to play guitar from the Mel Bay book "Fun With Guitar". I'll have to find a copy to see what the first song in the book is (after the chord exercises). I believe it was a two chord song, and I'm pretty sure it was "C" & "G".

I'm thinking maybe "On Top Of Old Smokey".

I know I've said this before, I knew Mel Bay personally, we lived in the same little town outside of St. Louis, Missouri (I still live here, he's dead). While thousands of kids around the world were learning to play guitar from Mel Bay books, we were up at Mel's store tugging on his coattails. All you had to do was ask him any question about guitar playing and he would pick a guitar off the sales rack and give you a free 5 minute personal lesson right in the aisle of his store. I learned more about playing guitar from those 5 minute lessons than many people will learn in a lifetime. In fact some of what he was trying to teach me I didn't even understand until 30 years later.

Here's a photo of the sign painted over the front door of the building where he ran his business out of (publishing empire upstairs, retail music store downstairs).

3029453280_38b925dd9d.jpg

Larry...

Holy Moly... Lucky guy.

I'd say that for "folkie" stuff I had the advantage in that out of some 60 guys or so in the dorm, I think there were 45 guitars plus an occasional banjo and mandolin. Almost everybody played a little and there were folks to watch in those pre you-tube days.

But formal guitar stuff? You've got it all over most of us. Those "old guys" seemed to have talent to do about any kind of music any way you wanted. Heck, except for today's "jazzers" or borderline jazz country stuff, how many of "us" even think about passing chords. <grin>

m

Archived