Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Shopping

Rewddawg

Not so much of a line. It's annoying when the first thing they try to sell you is super expensive. Then again, few salespeople come to me anymore. They just wait until I tell them what I want. Only the new employees at GC and Sam Ash actually apporach me. When at SA, I only deal with one guy and I think the rest of the employees know that by now.

/shrug

I can't remember anything any of the salesmen have said that was off putting, but like I've said before, it could just be me. Usually, it's "can I get that down for you? What would you like to plug into" followed closely with "Would you like to take that into the <insert name for the little room with the really good gear>?"

I'm not a big fan of when they use the opportunity to play it... and play it.... and play it... and play it......

at some point it's got to make it into my hands, or it won't get sold.

Just sayin'

:D

Chan- I once had a guy go all wank fest on a guitar he was reaching down for me, I just walked away. He said "I thought you wanted this down" as I walked out of the store.

My least favorite is when they get all condescending about me trying out nice gear. Just because I'm a teen and I look like one of those "metal" kids who just wants a 200 dollar BC Rich I guess. I was going to buy my Swollen Pickle on the spot, but then I asked to try out the Mastotron. I returned the Mastotron and then he said "Oh, just want to play on some nice gear huh?" I showed him the 200 I had in cash, and then walked out. There is one bad Guitar Center near me, won't buy anything from them.

Only one?

[flapper]

Are you anywhere near Make n Music in Chicago?

I was impressed with that little shop.

Yeah, the other one is alright. Sam Ash has decent people for the most part. Make n Music is about an hour away from me. I really like Chicago Music Exchange. They have super stuff, and private rooms to try stuff out in. Expensive, but its a blast. They don't have any kids in there, and I'm usually the youngest unless I go with some friends. I really want an Eastwood guitar from them, sounds so good. I will have to make it out to Make n Music one of these days.

Also, Midwest Buy and Sell has some great stuff, but again, its about 35 minutes from me with little traffic

Chan- I once had a guy go all wank fest on a guitar he was reaching down for me, I just walked away. He said "I thought you wanted this down" as I walked out of the store.

My least favorite is when they get all condescending about me trying out nice gear. Just because I'm a teen and I look like one of those "metal" kids who just wants a 200 dollar BC Rich I guess. I was going to buy my Swollen Pickle on the spot, but then I asked to try out the Mastotron. I returned the Mastotron and then he said "Oh, just want to play on some nice gear huh?" I showed him the 200 I had in cash, and then walked out. There is one bad Guitar Center near me, won't buy anything from them.

Neo assures me these abound.

The one in Nashville is not like this, but my white beard could be the reason.

I love the "flash the cash" and leave! We did that to a furniture store when we were shopping for our leather living room furniture. Sales guy whisked us right through the showroom and into the un airconditioned "scratch and dent" shed, having expertly decided that my shorts and t-shirt meant I was poor.

******. We've never been back... couldn't go now as, last time I was thru Franklin, KY, they were having a big sale.

The sign read "Going Out Of Business".

[lol]

Yeah, the other one is alright. Sam Ash has decent people for the most part. Make n Music is about an hour away from me. I really like Chicago Music Exchange. They have super stuff, and private rooms to try stuff out in. Expensive, but its a blast. They don't have any kids in there, and I'm usually the youngest unless I go with some friends. I really want an Eastwood guitar from them, sounds so good. I will have to make it out to Make n Music one of these days.

Also, Midwest Buy and Sell has some great stuff, but again, its about 35 minutes from me with little traffic

Have you ever tried Naperville Music? I have bought a 335 and a Nashville Tele from them and I couldn't be happier.

I guess I really don't let sales people get to me, I am a better bull sh##ter.

Ditto on the bullsh!tter.

And Chan, my standard issue uniform is shorts, tennis shoes and Right-winger t-shirt.

And I shave once a week - whether I need it or not.

The hobo look leads some of the young condescending sales "professionals" to knock themselves out as soon as the bell rings.

I pay cash for almost everything - even used vehicles.

At Sam Ash I deal with two guys. The one is a bass player so I tend to get a little more technical with him than the other gent. Both however know their way around regular guitars and basses.

having expertly decided that my shorts and t-shirt meant I was poor.

That's one of my favorite things to experiment with. Sometimes I go to a store in my regular clothes (jeans and a band t-shirt w/ Black hoody sporting a big Ensiferum logo). I already have long hair and look like the guy that just plays everything and rarely has enough money for cables. Then sometimes I go during my lunch break in my business casual (dress pants, button up shirt, pony tail, work badge). I get more attention then. I buy from one guy at Sam Ash because he took time to help me when I needed it and didn't blow me off when he saw me looking like a typical metalhead. I got 1 guitar, my whole banjo set up, and that Boss CE20 from him. And when the time comes, he's gonna help me get a PGM. He was not bothered that I bought that Ibanez SR535 at GC.

Well I agree with everything mentioned in this post. The reason for the post is I am going to start working for a local music shop and I wanted to be on the same page as most buyers. I will not make the mistakes those other so caled salesman make. I am an old salesman and I believe in selling based on features and benefits based on what the buyer wants close to the price he says he can afford. I don't believe in high pressure sales but if I have what the buyer wants and needs he shoud walk out happy with his new instrument period!

I can see the kids now.....

Mobile cellular device, logged into the forum here.

Posting pics and telling us what kinda BS the Guitar Center sales dude is feeding him.

"Here's a pic of the price tag, here's the case he said I have to pay $200 for, here's the bent tuner and missing selector..."

Archived