Gibson Brands Forums

SG hollow body

tartanbeastie

I was thinking on guitars and various body shapes and styles and wondered if there has ever been an SG with a hollow body, even a one off custom made?

I'm just wondering how it would sound, look and play if Gibson or epiphone were to put together a hollow or semi hollow SG with a bigsby trem. keep the humbuckers but maybe throw a single coil into the mix as well. Would it work? possibly a slightly bigger body but still the SG shape. Keep the neck the same if possible.

Your thoughts please, or if theres any other body shape you think could be reused or modified to make another classic guitar of the future

The only SG-like hollowbody Gibson-guitar I can come up with is the Johnny A signature guitar. I know it is not the real SG shape, but I think it is the closest Gibson has ever come to a hollow SG.

More like a "Twins" "creature from the Black Lagoon" multiple parent concoction. (DeVito and the Govanator).

A three way cross between a Les Paul, an SG and a 335 - with a killer look and a Bigsby to boot.

And hell yes on a semi/hollow SG. Great idea. B)

My immediate thought was a bit different.

Imagine carving out the back except for a solid center under the strings/tailpiece and adding some wood under it; then adding a back and sides "hollow."

I've seen the Gibson Les Paul version of this and wasn't overly impressed. Dunno how the SG would work. I've a hunch it'd not be as "hollowbody" sounding as some might wish, though. With the right pickups it might sound kind of "Rickenbackerish."

m

Sorry to be the wet blanket here, but SG stands for solid guitar. In other words it is a solid body guitar; not chambered or hollow or semi-hollow.

Please don't go mucking up my all time favorite guitar.

If it wasn't for Gibson doing all that new **** back then and experimenting, this guitar wouldnt exist.

I say go for it.

Sorry to be the wet blanket here, but SG stands for solid guitar. In other words it is a solid body guitar; not chambered or hollow or semi-hollow.

HA!

It started out as a Les Paul [flapper]

Route it out!

You took the words out of my mouth Evol. Solid Guitar.

Cool idea but maybe modifying one of the ES line would make more sense.

Just a thought.

Dave

ok, lets keep that shape and call it the gibson horns or the gibson devil. I reckon the idea has some mileage though

Deal. I am not saying don't build the guitar (base the body and top off of the Diablo), just don't call it an SG. I'm begging you, please. [-o<

Deal. I am not saying don't build the guitar (base the body and top off of the Diablo), just don't call it an SG. I'm begging you, please. [-o<

yup thats cool with me, i just want to see the hollow but in THAT shape..lol.. i dont mind what its called i just think it would be a superb guitar

As far as naming it I'll agree with evol here. Since it would need a new name anyway, why not call it the HG?

After all, if Solid Guitar = SG, then Hollow Guitar should, logically...

I don't need to spell it out for you smart folks here.

I like the idea, but I feel like in practice it might require some cleverness to pull it off. They might need to make the body a little bigger.

I think the Johnny A sig is as about as close to an SG as a semi-hollow can get and still sound good IMO. I think they are sharp, especially in trans black [wub] Leave the regular SG alone please, when you've got a good formula, you don't f**k with it.

Archived