Gibson Brands Forums

Bring It On!

Rocky4

HAven't watched the whole thing (internet is slow right now in here) I made it through to minute 2:19. I don't think the camera translates fairly the tone of the amp (or what you are using to amplify the guitar [biggrin] ) but it does good enough so one can make out every note you are playing.

Overall: I like it.

The only thing I would do is try to be a little more fluent (is that the right expresion?) as it looks like you stop dead between licks in some parts. [thumbup]

i agree about the camera, but you have a nice bluesy sound that i dig. i personally think you need to slow down a bit, or at least vary the speed of your lead. You technique sounded pretty solid though, and you do a good job of getting that subtle, blues vibrato.

and fwiw, if i thought you sucked i would tell you. or not comment at all. [biggrin]

I agree on the vibrato. A little Claptonesque at times. I liked the neck pickup sound better than the bridge which was a little brittle - perhaps as already mentioned it was the camera. They aren't the best for sound!

You can play but need to vary the speed. I wish I could play with that speed, my top speed is as fast as BB King.

I think there is a lot of noodling on your video, if you played some of those with a backing track you'd sound pretty good.

Rocky...

As has been noted, there's more than enough technique and talent there to do about anything that my ears hear that you want to do.

But I'd say you nailed it in terms of linear thinking.

Next vid you do... force yourself to do a straight through, from the top, "song" the way you want to play it. A "version" more than a "cover" if you will - or just bash away at some 12-bar blues or... Where is your head going?

m

You can play but need to vary the speed. I wish I could play with that speed, my top speed is as fast as BB King.

I think there is a lot of noodling on your video, if you played some of those with a backing track you'd sound pretty good.

Hence, my backing tracks thread....

Naaaah....

Forget the backing track. Use what's inside your head, play the recording for yourself and what's in your head to see where your head really wants to go...

Then... see if and how you want backing tracks.

m

Pros:

basically, your playing.

Great speed and definition. I like the fact that you play all over the fretboard, not just in the third position. Your technique is also good, as well as your tone, per se.

Cons:

Sounds like a small amp, but that could be the camera mic. The annoying high ptiched whine kept me from listening to it all, which was a shame because I liked what you were doing.

Overall:

I wish I could play as smoothly as you do on the upper frets. Really and truly I do.

Thanks for the input. I think I suffer from lack of actual band experience. I think it would force me to think on my feet better. The last time I played with musicians, I fell on my but. I went blank when it was my turn to take a lead, and when they played stuff that had a different tempo that I was used to. Again, thanks for the advice and compliments.

To me it came across very nervous. Slow down a bit. Nothing wrong with the playing.

It's like each 'phrase' is separate. Not linked. Practice it slower. Link them and then speed up. A proper backing track would help. I played in bands from 14 so I had the 'smoothness' installed in me.

There's a big difference playing on your own to being in a band.

You've got skills. What you need is to build your own rhythm by playing with tracks (duh), or a metronome and the experience of playing with others. I know you said it's tough in your area to find folks to play with, but as you build your timing and flow, you'll have no trouble. You've got the chops tho. Good stuff!

Archived