Gibson Brands Forums

amp for les paul traditional? $600 range

Kevylot

if you want loud, that is the amp. starts to kick in nice at 3 - 5 . very cool but very loud. best choice in that range. I had one 5 yrs. , or if you want dirt and clean look for a rivera clubster. one side fender, other side marshall. compact little guy, may run a bit more. the line 6 bogner may be a good choice. a nice gtr does deserve a great amp. I use a twin, and a keeley Blues driver phat mod over drive. the best I've ever had. if I want more dirt I go to my ac booster /or fullerton ocd. oops off topic. the blues junior is a nice little amp. the vox valve dudes seem very nice for a modeling, or traynor has a few good combo's.

very true =P~ i just spent an hour and a half at GC but it's hard to sit down on something..i tried a marshall and a line 6 but wasn't very impressed...i need something to play my new traditional on :( ..so i just wanted to some feedback so i know what i should try out tomorrow

One way to gauge your desire in amps is this;

Money no object, what amp would you buy? Which one do you WANT?

Of course, this assumes you've played thru enough to know....

I have a Marshall JCM 800 100 watt stack because I always wanted one.

I rarely turn it on, I always play thru my $700 Hot Rod DeVille.

I own 5 amps and the HRD gets 98% of the playing.

I got a Line 6 Valve 112 40watt for my Traditional. Clean sound even with the DSP front end is REAL nice, and you can plug right into the tube power amp circuitry for pure "LP only" tone. Plenty of modeling/extras/efx for getting the sounds YOU like and then you can store them for instant recall.

My only beef with it is Made in China. I was limited in my selection for this amp (had Micro Cube exchange credit at a local store - NOT Alto) and would have liked a better brand, but I am VERY happy with the amp. It did sound/function the best out of the ones I tried (Ampeg, Crate, Epi).

very true ](*' date=') i just spent an hour and a half at GC but it's hard to sit down on something..i tried a marshall and a line 6 but wasn't very impressed...i need something to play my new traditional on '](*,) ..so i just wanted to some feedback so i know what i should try out tomorrow

I agree. I is nice to go into GC with you choices narrowed down a little.

Based on the feedback I recieved on this site, I am going to be checking out the following tube amps

Tiny Terror

Peavy Classic 30

Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Princeton

Vox AC15

if you want a cool sounding amp i really dig the peavey classic 30 > i dont have one but i have 2 friends that have them and they have nice bite to them> one of my friends put a celestion 30w vintage in his and it is really sweet sounding> hope this helped> they are about 300-400 i think> i play through a modded 4-10 fender deville and a modded epi valve junior> i love both of these amps> with new tubes and some other little fiddleing to both of mine> you'll have a sick amp > but now the $700 amp is $1000 and the epi $150 is now $300 > hope this helped

OK you've got three families of tube amps. First would be a Fender or anything like it with 6L6 output tubes (or the vintage Deluxe or Princeton with 6V6 that are nowhere near as loud) which have a kind of sparkle along with almost enough distortion (blues). Second family is the Vox AC30 with EL84's in class A configuration is very chimey and gets a little more dirt. The Peavey classic 30 and the Crate Vintage Club 30 watters are made this way. However if you take the same set of tubes and wire it in class AB instead of class A, you get more power at 50 watts but not quite the same tone. Third category is a Marshall using EL34's, then again those take you from warm syrupy clean to "gee I never thought of the Allman Brothers as having distortion but I guess it's there, too" to crunchy seventies hard rock and beyond.

So you kind of need to decide which page of the menu you're ordering from, so to speak, then narrow your options.

Then again, it may be heresy, but there are lots of digital modeling amps coming out that can sort of get these flavors at the push of a button. I actually like the modeling jobs for playing at home at reasonable volumes, but there's really nothing like a tube amp when you've got things cranking.

Just promise me you won't get a digital modeling amp. I've been down that road and back. You may never realize what you are missing in terms of tone...and it would be a shame, a nice guitar going to waste, its never a pretty thing.

If you want a very nice tube amp for a very reasonable price, you should really check out a B-52. I'm not saying to buy one, but just try one if you can to see what you think. I own a 100W AT212, but I don't think they make that model any longer. I think they still make a 60W AT112. It runs in either Class A or A/B and has a great master volume so you get good tone at a reasonable volume. IMO, they sound just as good as a boutique amp but only half the price.

Good advice here!

I agree on modeling amps and ANYTHING solid state.

If the "oh, cool" and "gee whiz" factor moves you with all the gadgetry and you can't hear the difference, fine.

The BEST amp is a simple, honest tube amp that does that fine Les Paul justice.

You can plug all the effects you want into the signal path to make it sound however you want, or plug straight in and savor real tone.

Archived