Gibson Brands Forums

Great players we never hear of anymore...

jaxson50

I wanted to start a thread here where we can post videos and mp3's of the many great players we just don't hear mentioned anymore.

There are many great young players and I enjoy finding a new artist, but there were so many great players who may have been a member of bands or perhaps had a solo career but have either retired or have a small following, some are teachers now and have settled into a semi retired stage in their life, which is why I wanted to share them, perhaps you will get a chance to see them.

I will start with John Renbourn, a artist that is just impossible to classify. Born in London, John studied classical music in the 1950s during that time he was introduced to the early music of the Medieval era. He then fell under the spell of American Blues greats Lead Belly, Josh White and Big Bill Broonzy. Along with Bert Jansch, Danny Thompson and Terry Cox, Renbourn started the group Pentangle, which only toured the US once in 1968 playing at Carnegie Hall and the Newport Folk Festival. He has worked with John Paul Jones, Woody Mann, Archie Fisher, Stefan Grossman and others. His finger style is laid back but very intricate and mixes elements of Celtic, Classical, Blues and Folk music;

John Renbourn solo;

John with Pentangle, 1968;

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could probably add oodles but it seems from here...

I even look at guitar mags and they have followed the trend, it seems to me, of becoming more specific in style rather than the older paradigm of looking for commonalities of guitar players rather than their differences.

That's why I pretty much quit reading the things 30 years ago.

Personally I blame a lotta perspectives on guitar playing on those splits and the fact that unlike the piano, we have so many different ways of playing the darned thing.

Jazz picker Mundell Lowe even is on a Youtube vid discussing that fact long ago... Is Segovia a classical player? Hey, he has almost sounded as though elements of flamenco enter on some Spanish music. What "style" did Chet Atkins really play? Darned if I know. He and Segovia certainly had in common that they figured arrangements of music they liked that were appropriate for the style in which they played.

I am bothered by my own picking on occasion because I think I'm nothing but a third rate piano bar piano player who wasn't smart enough to learn keyboard very well so I took that failing out on guitar necks.

Are "we" - meaning guitar players in general - perhaps wrong in emphasizing one general technique of playing that reflects certain personal and audience expectations? Or are we emphasizing our own technical and musical growth.

Playing for money requires one sort of skill for "covers," but does even our original material have to be a technical copy of other stuff or should it find something else?

"Great players?" Or simply artists who never made the "big time" because of time and place? I dunno. I think pickers are increasingly skilled, but I sometimes question the degree of creativity.

m

I mean guys like Tony Rice, Artie Traum, Clarence White, George Van Eps and Steve Cropper,

Tony Rice pops up in Bluegrass circles, I have a dvd with him and Chris Thile and others, Gray Fox, perhaps.

I found a cd called "Muleskinner" with some excellent work by Clarence White w/David Grisman and Richard greene, ect.

Within todays genres there is LESS room for great pickers. It's hard to explain, but it seems downtuned open tunings with simplistic chord structures so distorted you can't make them out is the norm.

Great pickers are appreciated by guitar players, but the masses don't get to hear many due to the marketing (and this includes the cesspool of Sirius/XM) of music in general, and are now dumbed down to the point they wouldn't recognize one if they heard it. That's why you see less Les Pauls, Chet Atkins, Tony Rice's, ect., per capita.

If we (musicians) don't choose (purchase) quality music, no one will and there will continue to be less and less of it as there are less and less musicians.

If it doesn't appeal to you don't be shy just say so...Or you could just ignore it.

Just kiddin' Man! It's Just my sense of humor. msp_flapper.gif It's a great topic!! I'll add something legite if I think of Something.msp_thumbup.gif

Murph...

I agree with your comments.

I'll add, too, that I think the expansion of media into the Web has not only cut deeply into record sales, but also into development of bands and musicians because of that.

The anti-smoking in saloon thing in my state and, as far as I can tell, neighboring states, also has cut music venues by roughly 25 percent over the past year or so.

m

Few speak of Roy Buchanan much any more outside a group such as this. Or Carlos Montoya who may not have some of the current flash in flamenco but... wow, the class of his playing...

How about Leo Kottke...

Or... showing some of the odd sense of humor that makes the guy an entertainer as much as a picker... The guitar stuff picks up as he goes along too...

m

I'll add, too, that I think the expansion of media into the Web has not only cut deeply into record sales, but also into development of bands and musicians because of that.

On the other hand, it's now easier than ever to try out new bands, discover new styles and types of music. Just go to youtube or whatever and there it is for you to listen to and be inspired by. Before, I had to go to a store and spend a, for me as a kid at the time anyway, considerable amount of money to hear anything new. So I'd mostly spend that money on bands and styles of music I already knew, and I think most people did. I certainly wouldn't go buy a record just because someone else told me it was good, but clicking a link on a forum is free, so I click it.

Few speak of Roy Buchanan much any more outside a group such as this. Or Carlos Montoya who may not have some of the current flash in flamenco but... wow, the class of his playing...

How about Leo Kottke...

m

Once again, I thank my parents for my cable-TV-less, PBS upbringing! Leo was one of the first guitar

players I really took notice of as a kid. Definitely made me want to play. PBS used to air great tapings

of Leo and Doc Watson too. I may have been the only kid running around with Pamela Brown and Tennessee

Stud stuck in his head (until I discovered Led Zeppelin anyway) [biggrin]

Sho...

I hear you... but where I live there aren't so many opportunities.

Frankly I think in ways we're back in the 1930s in terms of music, but with far fewer venues. Guys played on local radio and took cars you can't believe on roads you wouldn't believe, into weather you can't believe, to play various regional circuits to play in venues you wouldn't believe.

The local radio shows were "free" and musicians not so well paid since it was "free" advertising for bands on those regional circuits.

Some of those folks were exceptional musicians but... since they didn't have records out, they're now mostly forgotten. One that "made it" was Lawrence Welk, but he wasn't much in his early days. After WWII a lotta those guys bought diners or taught music 'cuz there wasn't the live radio any more.

When I was a kid of 20 something in a town of under 10,000 on Friday night there'd be at least six joints with live music. I don't think there are currently any with music regularly. That same town - I don't live there any more - is having a big deal over state anti-smoking law 'cuz some saloons are just plain going broke and one is following state law by telling patrons it's illegal but... leaving ashtrays out any way.

I'm predicting we'll see a loss of at least a quarter to half of the one-time live music venues within the next two or three years within 400 miles of where I live now. Folks can't drink much or they'll get arrested; they can't smoke so it's just not enjoyable for a 100-200 seat venue. So no music, fewer bartenders and service staff and... probably eventual closing.

But then, maybe those comments should come under "political correctivity." <grin>

m

Jax...

I had the old, old Butterfield album with this on it back in the 60s. Learned quickly it's easier to do some lede guitar and sing rather than a rhythm and sing over it. <grin>

The album, btw, stated clearly that it should be played at the maximum possible volume. So I ran the turntable through my Deluxe Reverb and cranked it; sat in front of it at 2 feet. <grin>

What was that you said????

m

Archived