Gibson Brands Forums

Black Keys/Greenhornes concert info

Silenced Fred

Greenhornes/Black Keys concert tonight, pretty excited for that. I'll try and get you guys some pictures of that.

Had a great jam session with my drummer and rhythm guitarist, gonna be working on lyrics and little fill lines most of the day.

Working off of 4 hours of sleep right now, I'm tired but I can't go back to bed. Wish me luck

Oh, and I saw the 65 Amps London Pro, it seems pretty sweet. Would love to see one with 6L6s though

[thumbup] Got a blip on Facebook about the posters for the Chicago dates and wondered if you were going.

Enjoy. I'm curious to hear about how they sound with the backing musicians as opposed to just the duo since

I've only seen them as a duo. Looking forward to a full report.

Sounds like good times.

Hang in there, brother. When I was your age sleep was an overrated luxury. My only complaint at that time was that I needed more hours in the day so I could go on even more adventures. You are living in the best years (little to no heavy responsibilities like wife, mortgage, full time job, etc) so milk them for all they are worth.

Full report will come in when I get home, I can't wait.

Sounds like good times.

Hang in there, brother. When I was your age sleep was an overrated luxury. My only complaint at that time was that I needed more hours in the day so I could go on even more adventures. You are living in the best years (little to no heavy responsibilities like wife, mortgage, full time job, etc) so milk them for all they are worth.

Oh yeah, I try to get sleep when I can, and I think I'm fighting a cold, but yeah just doing so much and realizing how the time flies. This break has been filled with tons of adventures already and my mom told me the same thing about having little heavy responsibilities. "If you are going to be stupid and mess your life up, do it now so you can still fix it"

The concert was just outstanding! [thumbup]

So me and my drummer show up, pay the parking and get in line. We have probably 500 or so people in front of us in line after showing up an hour before doors open. When the doors open, we walk in and get like second row to stand. The Greenhornes played and just blew me away. The guitarist seemed very nonchalant about the whole thing not showing much emotion or seeming to really get into the music from looking at him, but listening to it was insane. Great solos, the band was very tight and Jack Lawrence is one of my favorite bassists and he did not disappoint. They had about a 50 minute set and took very few breaks, really only to tune. The guitarist had an SG Special with a wraparound tailpiece which sounded amazing and Lawrence was playing an Epiphone semi hollow bass (it sounded fantastic) They had a nice mixture of their older songs and material from their latest album.

The Black Keys came out and played for about 40 minutes just as the duo, opening with Thickfreakness [wub] and working their way through the back catalogue going all the way back to their first album. Then they brought out the bass and keys players to play songs off of Brothers and that portion was about 20 minutes, then the went back to the duo to play I Got Mine and the banner with their logo was torn down revealing flashing lights that spelled out The Black Keys. An encore included one more song as the foursome then two more with the duo. Patrick and Dan sounded tight as hell and its almost scary to watch Pat play the drums, he looks like he seriously wants to kill them, he looks filled with anger [lol] I couldn't hear the keys player that much, but everything sounded good.

Met 16 year old twins at the concert, but they were there with their dad and he kept casting aspirations and glaring at us whenever they would talk to us... kinda disappointed on that one, but oh well ](*,)

Sounds like you had a good time. Glad to hear it. Sorry about the "Twins thing" I remember when I was in the age range for me to think about that legally! My advice use this time while you can!!!!! It goes by way too fast!!!!

Sounds like a show to remember. Did ya get a gander at the guitar gear, or were you to busy ogling the twins? [biggrin]

Both actually, but to be honest, I really only paid attention to them in between the sets and before the concert started [flapper]

Greenhornes had an SG Special with the wraparound tailpiece (looked very well used, might have been vintage but I'm not sure) running into a Marshall Bluesbreaker it looked like. He had a small pedalboard and really only used a distortion for leads.

Dan had his Harmony guitars and then used Airlines strictly for Brothers songs. I couldn't see his amps too well, but he had a massive ****ing pedalboard, two people had to carry it out and he kept having trouble with it all night, techs kept running out to the board to fix stuff and whatnot. After that show, I decided I'm stripping down my pedalboard a ton

I'm wish I could go to that show. I love the Black Keys and the Greenhornes.

Being sick sucks. My whole family is throwing up violently right now. I seriously hope I don't get sick because I have plans to hang out with a newly single lady-friend tonight....

It was amazing, you would have loved it. I hate it when my whole family gets sick because then its just a matter of time before I do as well.

So how'd it go with your lady friend?

It was amazing, you would have loved it. I hate it when my whole family gets sick because then its just a matter of time before I do as well.

So how'd it go with your lady friend?

It's tonight. A little New Years festivities at her casa. It should be fun whether I hook up with her or not.

Still not sick.. I hope I dont get sick.

Still jealous of that show.

It's tonight. A little New Years festivities at her casa. It should be fun whether I hook up with her or not.

Still not sick.. I hope I dont get sick.

Still jealous of that show.

All my respective lady friends have other plans for tonight :unsure:

The show was amazing man. I was very impressed with The Greenhornes and will be buying their other albums [thumbup]

Archived