Gibson Brands Forums

Fixing up the Les Paul Studio - Tear Down to Custom Rebuild

Andy R

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fret buzz?

P.S. Very nice work...looks great man. I'm enjoying this thread!!!

Much Closer! but the fret leveling is really about getting rid of the buzz! Keep Trying!

Great job on those frets. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I wish someone like you would have done the fret "fixing" job on my MIM Strat.

As far as the Trivia question, would it have anything to do with the wound strings getting getting caught on the fret edge? :-k

Great thread and great work!

I will give the first person that can tell me why you need to crown frets other than for aesthetic reasons a +1 ...

So the sharp fret sides don't 'plane' away your fingertips? I have a 1940's guitar with frets that would shred my 'tips like a bacon-slicer!

P.

Great job on those frets. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I wish someone like you would have done the fret "fixing" job on my MIM Strat.

As far as the Trivia question, would it have anything to do with the wound strings getting getting caught on the fret edge? :-k

Thanks and doing fretwork is a lot of work but it is not hard work. As a guitar player it is a great thing to learn how to do and will save you money and allow you to find guitars that people don't want and get a better price because you know how to fix frets to make them play optimally.

Concerning the fret edge that is more about rounding the fret edge corners not the fret crown. Good Guess though!msp_biggrin.gif

Great thread and great work!

So the sharp fret sides don't 'plane' away your fingertips? I have a 1940's guitar with frets that would shred my 'tips like a bacon-slicer!

P.

Wow if the tops of the frets are that sharp you really have problems! Not Quite though!

Ok I had my two guesses....:) I'll let someone else learn me!!

Awe! Don't give up. You were very close with your first guess just figure out why it help reduce fret buzz!!!msp_biggrin.gif

Wow if the tops of the frets are that sharp you really have problems! Not Quite though!

To protect the fleshy part of the inside of the fingers and thumb?

There; that's my second guess...over to someone else!

P.

Awe! Don't give up. You were very close with your first guess just figure out why it help reduce fret buzz!!!msp_biggrin.gif

Alright alright... after you file it, its flat you want it to be more round so that the string just barely touches the fret when you press down on the strings...giving a cleaner sound...

How's that?! LOL!!

Alright alright... after you file it, its flat you want it to be more round so that the string just barely touches the fret when you press down on the strings...giving a cleaner sound...

How's that?! LOL!!

Even closer! You almost got it!!! I will post a pic and see if it provides a clue.... I'm close to giving it to you for this one. Actually I will give you the +1 and give someone else a +1 if they have the technical answer to what you just said.msp_biggrin.gif

Look at the photos and and consider Shreds Answers.

Level but not crowned! You could polish and play like this and some people do.

f9dbd791.jpg

Crowned fret after leveling. Another hint I want that bare metal line to be as thin and centered in the middle of the fret as possible! Actually I need to crown these a little bit more...

1aa8faac.jpg

Guess again!

With a narrower band the intonation is more 'true' whereas with a wider fret-width the intonation is 'all muddled up' (to use the technical term...)?

P.

I think the intonation might only very, very, slightly effected. Keep Trying!

Similar to Shred.

It's to do with 'resistance' isn't it? Less contact with the string makes them bend easier. ?

Very close and yes bending is made easier!

Answer!!!

I went ahead and gave Shred the +1 as he was closest.

The answer is.....

So the string has a single point of contact with the fret. When the fret is flat the string has 3 potential points of contacts. Each edge and the flat surface in the middle.... which can cause buzz, reduce sustain because the string is resting on a flat surface and make bending a less fluid feeling. I suppose it could have a minor impact on intonation as it could slightly alter where the string is making contact with the fret.

So there you Go!!!

Andy

Archived