Gibson Brands Forums

Fixing up the Les Paul Studio - Tear Down to Custom Rebuild

Andy R

Woow those pictures of the frets were really great! You clearly know what you're doing, i think i'll have to do something like that in the next few weeks, mi frets aren't really worn out but it gets like scratchy whenever i bend the strings in some frets...i don't know if scratchy is the word to describe that actually...oh well i guess you know what i mean!

Great job on that Les Paul man!

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woow those pictures of the frets were really great! You clearly know what you're doing, i think i'll have to do something like that in the next few weeks, mi frets aren't really worn out but it gets like scratchy whenever i bend the strings in some frets...i don't know if scratchy is the word to describe that actually...oh well i guess you know what i mean!

Great job on that Les Paul man!

Yeah I think I know what you mean. It sounds like it has some remaining sanding marks on the frets that are running against the way you are bending. Which would make them feel and sound scratchy. I would recommend that the next time you change strings that you get some blue painters tape and mask over the wood area on the frets like I did in previous pictures and make sure you mask over your pickups etc..

Then use some finest steel wool and use your finger to polish the fret along the length of every fret Up and down the way you would bend the string. Then get a little white or red rubbing compound and use a soft clothe and polish them the same way. If you can see any lines on the frets that are running towards the headstock and tail piece you need to remove those as they are the ridges that are causing the scratchy feel and sound. Once you get them nice and polished it will feel like you are bending on slippery teflon!

Andy

Well I had a big long spiel on what I finished today but I lost it and I don't feel very well so I will condense it and post some picks. Basically I got the top glued together tonight. I had enough board feet to make 3 sides if I went with a 2 piece top. After a bunch of analyzing the wood for the best pieces I decided to go with a 3 piece top. BAsically I tried to pick the sections with the most flame in it just incase I decide to do a translucent finish one of these days. I went through a whole process of grading and came up with what will be the middle section and the sides. So without further rambling here is the pics.

the three pieces I picked for middle and sides:

b0667a8c.jpg

This is a great "Cheap" versatile tool that I discovered on the MLP forum. It is a Rigid oscillating belt and spindle sander. I used this and a straight edge with clamps to use it as a joiner. 200.00 at Home Depot!

7a9d7997.jpg

Here are the 3 pieces I picked. I decided to make the middle section about 5" wide so it had the best flame and none of the cavities or holes will fall on a seam. Here are the sections rough sized with some naphtha on it.

4865cffe.jpg

Before I shaved the old top off I used some transparency paper and marked out all the holes and cavities. So I drew approximately where the body will go. I then realized I didn't center up the cavities so it will actually be cut in the section where the red is.

9a580fa8.jpg

So here is the blanks glued up. and clamped. Tomorrow ( well later on today I guess) I will finish plaining it down and maybe rough cut it to shape.

33e10d50.jpg

Until tomorrow...

Andy

I generally reside in the House of EPI, but did own my share of

Gibsons in my "Pre-Military" days. I was flagged about your thread

by another member, so I be-bopped over to have a look.

Good thread! I like the fact that you address several issues that potential

Modders would encounter, and that you are approching it with a "Do-it-Yourselfer"

attitude - Thinking outside to box to accomplish what you want with the tools you

have and/or can afford. [thumbup]

Threads like these give "DIY-ers" (Me, TOO!) the encouragement to go ahead and try

something new (Git 'er Done!) And that's what it's all about - We learn from each other!

In the "old School" days, all this info would be passed face-to-face, but with the internet,

it's a "Virtual Apprenticeship" kind of thing! AND it reaches thousands, instead of just a few.

I Applaud your Skills and taking the time to create this thread! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

I generally reside in the House of EPI, but did own my share of

Gibsons in my "Pre-Military" days. I was flagged about your thread

by another member, so I be-bopped over to have a look.

Good thread! I like the fact that you address several issues that potential

Modders would encounter, and that you are approching it with a "Do-it-Yourselfer"

attitude - Thinking outside to box to accomplish what you want with the tools you

have and/or can afford. [thumbup]

Threads like these give "DIY-ers" (Me, TOO!) the encouragement to go ahead and try

something new (Git 'er Done!) And that's what it's all about - We learn from each other!

In the "old School" days, all this info would be passed face-to-face, but with the internet,

it's a "Virtual Apprenticeship" kind of thing! AND it reaches thousands, instead of just a few.

I Applaud your Skills and taking the time to create this thread! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Thanks man I really appreciate that. There is plenty of info on building a kit or starting a new build from plans and new wood but I think you learn a bit more from molding something existing. It has it's own unique set of quirks and pitfalls. I wouldn't recommend doing what I have done to this studio but it is worth it to me for the learning aspect and the "Making it Mine" principle of owning a guitar. By the way stay tuned there is plenty more coming. msp_blink.gif

Regards,

Andy

Day 6,

Still not feeling that well but had a little energy tonight so I decided to Plane and Cut the body blank and Fill in the Swiss Cheese holes... Here are pics of progress

Body blank cut and planed and Guitar shape laid out.

e26b5359.jpg

In my Router jig for rough cut

ee63d981.jpg

Rough Cut blank ready for flush edge route

12127b45.jpg

After flush cut..

Some good...

77afaec4.jpg

Some bad... Forgot about the dang input jack hole! So the guide bearing dropped in it and screwed up the cut... msp_scared.gif

6a060d20.jpg

Thought about using filler but decided to shape it out with spindle sander... No one will ever know! So don't tell anybody unsure.gif

33d42e29.jpg

Continued in next post...

Andy

This part turned out to be a pain. Since I already had the mahogany I din't want to have to order mahogany dowel rod that is 1-1/4" off the internet so I decided to make my own. Hmmmm. How to turn a a square peg into a round one....

Well I found a hole saw that was 1-1/2" . The 1-1/4 saw wouldn't work because the peg it leaves would be to small.

First cut out the 1- 1/2" holes. These end up rough but fairly round and still to big for the holes....eusa_wall.gif

a008480b.jpg

So how do I reduce there size and keep them round...blink.gif Well I marked the centers, drilled a small pilot hole and cut the end off a dry wall screw and chucked them in my drill.

dfb4c023.jpg

fb9da606.jpg

175a7e95.jpg

continued on next post...

swiss cheese fill continued...

I then clamped a block on my work table to keep the wood and drill from running off on me. I then turned a sander belt i had inside out so I could turn it as I need it and used a board to apply even pressure on the spinning piece of wood... Looked something like this...

ac6e6258.jpg

Rough in pegs... They weren't perfect but not too bad....

a74c52ef.jpg

After gluing filling and sanding....

766241eb.jpg

5ac53f35.jpg

Swiss Cheese is GONE!!! Next the Top is ready to be glued on and clamped. Then on to Neck and fret work...

To be continued....

Andy

What's goin' on bud [biggrin] I just wanted to know if those Klusons required you to inlarge the peghead holes from stock? Did it have Grovers or Gibson Deluxe tuners originally? Thanx ahead of time, build's lookin good BTW [thumbup]

Hey what's happening. It had the Gibson Deluxe tuners on it and they were shot! No I didn't have to enlarge the peg head holes in fact the waffle back's inserts were a tad smaller so I took some heat shrink and shrunk it around the insert so it would fit tight. The screw holes didn't line up either they are close and believe they are covered when the tuners are on. I did the super glue and toothpick trick to fill the holes.

Andy

I did the super glue and toothpick trick to fill the holes.

Andy

Thats a great trick. my of the doors in our house were fitted by using this trick. Btw I was just wondering because I didnt understand. Was the swiss cheese whole's already in the guitar or did you make them? Was that what you were talking about earlier when you said you wanted to add more mahogony to the inside?

Thats a great trick. my of the doors in our house were fitted by using this trick. Btw I was just wondering because I didnt understand. Was the swiss cheese whole's already in the guitar or did you make them? Was that what you were talking about earlier when you said you wanted to add more mahogony to the inside?

Krock,

The swiss cheese holes are a "feature" provided by Gibson on the Studios and some other newer models. It is supposed to take some of the weight from the guitar and is also what I think they are also calling chambering ( need to make sure that's the same thing) that is supposed to add resonance to the guitar. I myself like heavy guitars so I filled the holes in but I don't think I really gained much weight... The Mahogany body is pretty light anyway. That's the thing with Mahogany is that it really varies in density and weight from piece to piece.... Having the maple top will add some weight and I am planning on making it a bit thicker than a normal "Custom" top to make up for some thickness I lost when I planed the Mahogany so that will add some weight.

Regards,

Andy

Ok well let's start off with the ugly today...msp_crying.gifmsp_blushing.gifeusa_wall.gif

So I stuck the neck back on today to figure out what I need to do to it for it to work with the new top.... That's when I realized that I got a little over zealous with the sander on the body where he neck joint is....

So here is the damage ( head in hands )

2069d508.jpg

So Having the neck and fretboard hanging out an 1/8th of an inch (or so) in the cutaway isn't gonna do it.... I'm just glad I noticed it before glued the top on. So Time to come up with a fix... Again as bad as it may seem this too can be fixed. So the plan is to cut the inside radius of the MAhogany back and cut a piece of maple the same way. Glue and clamp the pieces in. cut and shape the Mahogany back so it is working with the neck again and then flush cut the maple piece to the back again. This is definitely gonna be a solid color paint guitar! So here are some pics of my plan.

1ab3c503.jpg

6d94517c.jpg

After shaping withe the sander

0532915d.jpg

841153d4.jpg

about 95 % of this will be cut back out just leaving what I need to fix the inside of the cutaway up to the neck joint. Oh well Live and learn and we will see how this turns out....

Andy,

This is still by far the coolest thread I have ever run across on any forum. Keep up the progress reports! You do realize, of course, that when you finish this one, some of us will be waiting to see what your next project will be . . . . just sayin' msp_thumbup.gif

OK this is the third time I've tried to post this but for some reason my Mac keeps crashing in the middle of it. SO I'm gonna post some pics of the good part of getting the fretboard cut and radius sanding. I will add some details later. So just pics for now..

cutting

fb8e2f0f.jpg

062f36e3.jpg

Ok you guys are gonna think I'm nuts but I think I figured out how I am going to vintage yellow my guitar. I did some tests on some scrap today and it came out perfect. My plan is to get my white coat laid down and a coat or two of clear before I attach the neck. Then I am going to ( yes I really am ) make sure any holes are sealed and soak the neck and body in a coffee bath! It doesn't take long and is exactly what I'm looking for. Then when that is done I will assemble the neck and body and do the cavity routes. Once that is done I will do Final Clear coats. Here's a sample of the results.

Here are the samples. It is hard to really see the tint difference. The stick on the right is white lacquer only. One side was with hot coffee the other with cold. The bottom is the left side ( unstained ) and the clear coat over it stained by the coffee. This is the one I like...

1b55fc0b.jpg

Yes I know how crazy this sounds but I think it will work and Since I will have the binding on before I do this the clear should yellow of it as well so it isn't stark white.

Stay Tuned!

What kind of coffee? Are we talking $7 a cup Starbucks or $0.80 cup of Nescafe instant? [laugh]

Man, that's really cool - I love this thread! [thumbup]

Actually it was some kind of chocolate flavored crap my girlfriend had here. I wasn't about to use up my starbucks for an experiment! I'm thinking about any coffee will work but who knows. I might be stuck with a guitar that smells like chocolate coffee! msp_biggrin.gif

Archived