Gibson Brands Forums

Fixing up the Les Paul Studio - Tear Down to Custom Rebuild

Andy R

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retro,

I probably will not add the valute as it would just be kinda stuck on and not really providing any support. I suppose I could dowel it in or add it just for looks... Who knows...

Andy

Dowel the volute in two areas, and it will add some structural integrity.... gotta have the volute

Dowel the volute in two areas, and it will add some structural integrity.... gotta have the volute

Yeah I was thinking that... I am going to run some dowels through the original neck tenon into where my " add on" for the long tenon is just to make sure there is some more stability there as well.

Yeah I was thinking that... I am going to run some dowels through the original neck tenon into where my " add on" for the long tenon is just to make sure there is some more stability there as well.

Andy, if you can, a more structurally sound (no pun intended) solution would be a floating tenon instead of dowels. Dowels have very little surface area to bond. More than half the surface area of a dowel is bonding to end grain, which is weak at best. If interested, I can elaborate. Just my $.02 from my experience as a woodworker. I really enjoy reading this thread and how fearless and creative you are. Cheers

Andy, if you can, a more structurally sound (no pun intended) solution would be a floating tenon instead of dowels. Dowels have very little surface area to bond. More than half the surface area of a dowel is bonding to end grain, which is weak at best. If interested, I can elaborate. Just my $.02 from my experience as a woodworker. I really enjoy reading this thread and how fearless and creative you are. Cheers

Yes please elaborate... I am always into learning new tricks. Glad you're enjoying the thread too.

Andy

Today was about getting the pickups routed and the neck tenon fine tuned to fit correctly... As I said I was going to try to route the pickup cavities using a bottom bearing flush cut bit but the nut that holds the bearing on was too big so that wouldn't work. I found another bit with a slightly smaller hex bolt head to keep the bearing on and thought I had the problem solved I even grinded the bolt head down a bit but it just wasn't going to fly. So I went back to top routing by using some double stick tape and some straight pieces of board to box in the pick up area. I also drilled out the corners with a drill bit to give it a radius and used a forstner bit to drill out as much as I could before routing. I used my overhead routing jig and a flush cut bit with a top bearing and did a combo template/freehand cut with a pretty decent result. No perfect but it will do....

SOOOOOO Close but no luck!!!

eb92bcf7.jpg

Doesn't hurt to try....

81d489da.jpg

Glad I made a quick sketch of the body cavities or I could have gone way off track and cut into the cable route. That would have been ugly... So I marked some danger zones with tape.

b64df0e0.jpg

Forgot to get a close up of the pickup cavities but I'm sure they will show up in some other pics

Andy

Probably the most critical part of this entire rebuild is getting the neck set correctly. It is a bit tricky and tedious especially without real templates, a band saw and trying to use a modified piece... But I think I have managed to do it...

I got about 95 % of the tenon cut and fitting snug into the mortise. Once I got that set I cut the angles where the neck heel joins the body. I used my digital angle finder and transferred the angle to the neck tenon. Then I marked the angle with a razor blade. Then I just hammered the razor blade into the wood to make the cut.

38a59a5a.jpg

It's hard to see but the angle is reading right at 4.2 degrees which is what I was looking for...

9d6905cb.jpg

The digital level disagrees a bit but I trust the physical contact that the angle finder has more than the level. The level will fluctuate + or - a degree just sitting still... ( Should have got the craftsman)

9c1bc15d.jpg

Nice tight joint [woot]

d0707766.jpg

d00ae1c2.jpg

It's getting closer!!!! ( by the way the bottom pickup route looks funky because I have sharpie marking where not to route...)

6d1707a8.jpg

Next is finishing the headstock shape and adding the veneer... (and maybe adding a valoute)

d1a52432.jpg

Andy

Today I finally got around to putting my binding plys together and routed the top for the 6 ply binding it. I am going to do it in three steps. I have a 3 layer binding already on now. Then I will do a 2 layer binding around that and then the final wide binding. I have no real reason for doing it this way other than I thought it would make the horn binding a bit easier. So here are some pics:

c44cd0b7.jpg

606abab1.jpg

ae1243a8.jpg

fe3f77a9.jpg

Until tomorrow...

Andy

looking at these most recent pics, the top has some really interesting figure to it: no chance of bringing that out? :)

Don

It's funny I was looking at that too. The middle piece is pretty nice. I just don't think 3 piece tops look very good with translucent finish.... I did pick the best pieces I could from my $15.00 maple board I bought Just i case i want to try it but for now my plan is still for aged white paint RR look...

Andy

It's funny I was looking at that too. The middle piece is pretty nice. I just don't think 3 piece tops look very good with translucent finish.... I did pick the best pieces I could from my $15.00 maple board I bought Just i case i want to try it but for now my plan is still for aged white paint RR look...

Andy

[biggrin]

you will always have those options, like all those refinished 50's goldtops...

it's gonna be a beautiful guitar, whatever you choose.

[biggrin]

you will always have those options, like all those refinished 50's goldtops...

it's gonna be a beautiful guitar, whatever you choose.

I'm thinking after I finally finish this one I will build an actual faithful rendition of a Black Beauty Custom ( since I already got the tools out and have a mess in progress) and then maybe one of these days a nice burst Standard...I know this guitar is not going to turn out perfect but it will definitely be mine so I am only hoping it plays and sounds halfway decent. I will be much pickier on a complete build...

So today I got the top binding finished. All six layers are now all glued on. I noticed on the build forums a lot of people didn't add the wide binding in the horn and just left it maple. I wanted to do it the way the custom looks so I added the wide binding. I have a seam that I will have to fill but when I'm completely finished with the scraping I think it won't be too noticeable. So here are the pics of the day... Thanks to Duane V for sending me a pic of his guitar for reference!!!

dd1c3e08.jpg

d5ec64d1.jpg

20b7abf7.jpg

ddc99886.jpg

c52812ca.jpg

ac559b9c.jpg

ea8eeb6b.jpg

1f290d09.jpg

7997fa6e.jpg

I think after a little more detail work it is going to turn out pretty nice...[-o<

I was showing my mum the progress you've made with your build and she said it's looking way better than it did as standard. She doesnt compliment often so that's pretty good :) Btw, do you know what colour finish your doing yet?

I was showing my mum the progress you've made with your build and she said it's looking way better than it did as standard. She doesnt compliment often so that's pretty good :) Btw, do you know what colour finish your doing yet?

He was doing an aged white RR look.

Beautiful work Andy. This is going to end up a swell guitar.

While you're at it (I've already forgotten since the thread started so long ago [biggrin],) did you have any plans on updating the electronics or the hardware?

Thanks man I sure hope so. I tell you I believe I could have built 2 guitars from scratch in the time this has taken me. You are correct it will be an Aged Cream/yellow white like Randy Rhoads. It's my own little tribute guitar. Concerning what I'm replacing:

I already have a new Tone Pros Bridge and Tail Piece, New Kluson Waffle back Tuners, New 3 Way Switch, New Pick Guard and Bracket. I am going to order a gold selector switch ring which I'm thinking about counter sinking into the body. I am basically replacing everything except the pickups and volume and tone pots. I want to hear what it sounds like when I'm done and determine if I want some different pickups or stick with the stock ones.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Andy

Well I feel very honored[biggrin] Always good to be Mum approved![thumbup] Tell her Thank You for me Please.

Kind Regards,

Andy

Archived