Gibson Brands Forums

Fixing up the Les Paul Studio - Tear Down to Custom Rebuild

Andy R

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree less recurve.

Well here's todays progress.

Shaped the neck heel extension. This is way long right now but better too much than too little.

43a0e9d0.jpg

529e5349.jpg

Also got the headstock in total traction for gluing... Sad isn't it...

8a959e71.jpg

My first attempt at cutting MOP inlays... Attempting the Rolls Royce logo.

Start rough....

9baa9503.jpg

Glued on a better stencil to the rough outline and finished.

904be67b.jpg

5f635a1a.jpg

Got tired so will finish the second R tomorrow. I plan on just duplicating the R I made by gluing it on the the piece once I get it roughed in. Then I will cut one of the R's so that they connect like the Rolls Symbol... It's hard not to get jaggy lines!!!

Andy

Andy. Couldn't you 'fine finish' the R's with a dremel?

Lashurst Thanks,

I was using a dermal to begin with using fine engraving bits... problem is round tool is going to create jaggy's. I have a couple of ideas that might clean it up a bit more and I might try a couple more before I commit. But not too bad for my first time so far I think. Any other suggestions and ideas welcome!

Andy

Excellent work Andy and you definitely get extra points for doing **** the hard way. The inlay cuts are always a challenge if you don't have one already make yourself a v-block (below) to hold the material when sawing with a jewlers saw, use a fine blade in your jaw with a lot of soap or wax to reduce friction and let the saw do the work which cuts down on the jaggies. A Dremel won't work too much heat and chipping but I have had good luck softly scraping with a pointed #2 x-acto blade (you'll definitely donate more blood). If your material is to thin to cut you can glue in onto card stock that you then can remove with a wet cloth later.

The cutting of the inlay channel is even more fun to experiment with and try to get clean and tight cuts I use a precision router base from Stew Mac and it's the only tool I can't live without when doing inlay work. Also save all the dust as that dust mixed into a paste with some thin super glue will hide almost anything.

The coffee staining looks great and is one of my favorite finishes although I use a strong tea solution because I seem to get much more consistent colors and a cleaner finish with a lot less time in the liquid.

Great job rolling with the flow when stuff goes wrong the true difference between a pro and a beginner, as you've shown almost anything can be fixed if you take your time and don't lose your temper which can be hard I was working on this mermaid and am probably 70% done doing the inlay when I got in a rush to clamp it down so I could do some graved lines and the Ebony split. I haven't decide if I will save it or throw it out the window yet so it's sitting to the side on the bench until I cool down enough to logically decide.

V-Block

Vblock.jpg

precision Router - the best tool Stew Mac makes for inlay

Precision_Router_Base_2lg.jpg

Broken Mermaid inlay

Mermaid.jpg

Excellent work Andy and you definitely get extra points for doing **** the hard way. The inlay cuts are always a challenge if you don't have one already make yourself a v-block (below) to hold the material when sawing with a jewlers saw, use a fine blade in your jaw with a lot of soap or wax to reduce friction and let the saw do the work which cuts down on the jaggies. A Dremel won't work too much heat and chipping but I have had good luck softly scraping with a pointed #2 x-acto blade (you'll definitely donate more blood). If your material is to thin to cut you can glue in onto card stock that you then can remove with a wet cloth later.

The cutting of the inlay channel is even more fun to experiment with and try to get clean and tight cuts I use a precision router base from Stew Mac and it's the only tool I can't live without when doing inlay work. Also save all the dust as that dust mixed into a paste with some thin super glue will hide almost anything.

The coffee staining looks great and is one of my favorite finishes although I use a strong tea solution because I seem to get much more consistent colors and a cleaner finish with a lot less time in the liquid.

Great job rolling with the flow when stuff goes wrong the true difference between a pro and a beginner, as you've shown almost anything can be fixed if you take your time and don't lose your temper which can be hard I was working on this mermaid and am probably 70% done doing the inlay when I got in a rush to clamp it down so I could do some graved lines and the Ebony split. I haven't decide if I will save it or throw it out the window yet so it's sitting to the side on the bench until I cool down enough to logically decide.

V-Block

Vblock.jpg

Precision_Router_Base_2lg.jpg

Broken Mermaid inlay

Mermaid.jpg

Wow man that is awesome!!! Sorry it cracked but I bet there is a way to fix or hide the crack. Like you said you just have to be creativemsp_thumbup.gif I did a little better tonight and am getting closer. This still needs cleaned up a bit more but I think it at least shows improvement. I do have the stew mac router base which is nice and I have the jewelers saw which I used tonight but didn't think about soap and wax. I have also used the dust and super glue trick for years on neck chips and it does work well. I will try the tea on another experiment stick and see how it turns out and thanks for the tips.!!! I'll take all ya got!

e2845ed4.jpg

Thanks again for the tips I really appreciate it. And welcome input from anyone who would like to share.

Regards,

Andy

V-Block

Broken Mermaid inlay

So how much to make me a Rolls Royce Logo in Pearl???? msp_biggrin.gif Sometimes you need to outsource...

Andy

So how much to make me a Rolls Royce Logo in Pearl???? msp_biggrin.gif Sometimes you need to outsource...

Andy

Your newest one is Fine Andy, the shape is great, The only trick I can pass on is to use the finest blade you can keep from breaking, wax or even bar soap on the blade for lube, cut just outside of your lines and then when you get it as close as you have. Then just clean it up with a tiny needle file until your satisfied with the smoothness. Like I said above though that last R looks good just some light cleanup and your ready to route and install.

My first inlay was a sea turtle with a W that I cut out in one piece (don't know what I was thinking) it was at least that rough and it turned out great after some clean-up.

My biggest issue was inlaying it in Cocobolo, I love the wood but dang it's kind of like routing concrete and the dust is not only toxic but it stains everything, including your hands a bright orange color. After making that acoustic I looked like the worlds tallest Ooompa loompa for a week.

inlayofturtleonhead.jpg

Although it was worth it still one of my favorites has a great tone and feel.

DSC00453.jpg

Cocobolo002.jpg

Cocobolo3.jpg

Your newest one is Fine Andy, the shape is great, The only trick I can pass on is to use the finest blade you can keep from breaking, wax or even bar soap on the blade for lube, cut just outside of your lines and then when you get it as close as you have. Then just clean it up with a tiny needle file until your satisfied with the smoothness. Like I said above though that last R looks good just some light cleanup and your ready to route and install.

My first inlay was a sea turtle with a W that I cut out in one piece (don't know what I was thinking) it was at least that rough and it turned out great after some clean-up.

My biggest issue was inlaying it in Cocobolo, I love the wood but dang it's kind of like routing concrete and the dust is not only toxic but it stains everything, including your hands a bright orange color. After making that acoustic I looked like the worlds tallest Ooompa loompa for a week.

Although it was worth it still one of my favorites has a great tone and feel.

Retro you are quite the luthier! Very nice work indeed. You should start a post with your builds so everyone can see. Thanks for the encouragement on my work. I cleaned the R up a bit more last night but I'm afraid I am going to clean it up to nothing but dust! I'm going to order a couple more blanks from Stew McD as even if I get this one looking right I will have to try to duplicate it which is going to be tuff. I might also try a few more times until I feel they are right. Thanks again for the encouragement and the pics of your beautiful work!

Andy

Here is my R cleaned up a little more. Still needs some work...

9d8f8279.jpg

Need some help and info from anyone who can provide it.

Could someone with a Custom provide me some more measurements than the ones provided below. I would like to also know the distance from the edge of the nut ( fretboard edge) to the center of the bottom of the little V cut in the top. Measurements to the top, center and bottom of the peg head holes from the bottom of the veneer to running lines left and right. Same measurements running up and down. Any more details would be appreciated. Measurements inside the binding would be good and binding thickness would also be great. Thanks to any that help.

Andy

f35ab167.jpg

I would also like to know if anyone knows the pancake body thickness of the 72-73 era lespaul that had mahogany, maple mahogany and 3 piece maple top. I would likr to know the layer thickness of each layer. that build up the body thickness before the top is applied. Again this would be very helpful and great info for me. Thanks in advance!!!

Andy

Well I got some answers to my pancake question on the les paul thread but still looking for Custom headstock specs.

I drew some rough outlines on my now extended headstock using the info from the measurements from the pic I posted. I tried to paint the binding area to get a feel for the size of this thing but the blue sharpie ran into it so it is a real rough idea. This thing just seems huge to me and would make a good boat oar if needed. So if anyone can provide more measurements I would really appreciate it!

Pic of my rough shape. If this is right I'm going to have to cut the top of the headstock and add some mahogany there too.

6208b56e.jpg

f3c964e7.jpg

Got my headstock veneer today too! Got plenty to practice on or perhaps just make one huge headstock!!! msp_w00t.gif

0ad109d1.jpg

Hope to get a bunch done this weekend so keep checking in!!!

Andy

So I was able to answer my own questions about the headstock. I imported the image into Adobe illustrator and set the scale to the listed measurements and printed it. Now I have an accurate template!!

1eb5baf6.jpg

Andy

Archived