Gibson Brands Forums

Fixing up the Les Paul Studio - Tear Down to Custom Rebuild

Andy R

The first Nib.... I couldn't wait to see! It will be a bit thinner when I trim down the outside binding to be flush with the neck. Gonna do that first before I do anymore so I don't Accidently shave them offmsp_scared.gif

c61c9d92.jpg

Lots of scraping to do tomorrow!

Andy

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it's coming along nicely. I think the part I find most interesting is how you manage to do the job of professionals but with homemade tools. I also like seeing your fixes to problems that would baffle most men :)

Hey Andy -

The battle injuries are starting to pile up !

Lovin' this thread. Epic. I mean, you gotta recieve the Gibson Forum version of the Pulitzer Prize for this thread. Serious! B)

A few battle scars and a little blood to make this guitar "My Own" for good or bad it will literally have a bit of me in it regardless!..

Andy

37a87b96.jpg

Ouch! I thought I saw bloody frets in the photos. Christening the guitar with your own blood.

So very \m/ METAL \m/ :lol:

_+++_____________________________

_+88______________________________

_+880_____________________________

_++88_____________________________

_++88_____________________________

__+880_________________________++_

__+888________________________+88_

__++880______________________+888_

__++888_____+++88__________+++8__

__++8888__+++8880++88____+++88__

__+++8888+++8880++8888__++888___

___++888++8888+++888888++888____

___++88++8888++8888888++888______

___++++++888888888888888888______

____++++++88888888888888888______

____++++++++000888888888888______

_____+++++++000088888888888______

______+++++++00088888888888______

_______+++++++088888888888_______

_______+++++++088888888888_______

________+++++++8888888888________

________+++++++0088888888________

Day - 10 Wow I got a Pinned Thread!!! Very cool! ( This isn't connect to a secret forum I don't know about called "Watch this idiot destroy his Guitar" is it??msp_scared.gifmsp_blushing.gif

Just doing some prep work on the neck and body today. Like I said earlier with the thicker body I will need to add some wood to the neck tenon and the neck heel. So I got it squared up a little and clamped some mahogany to it. I'm gonna have to feel it out after I get the top cut and the neck angle cut to see if this will work. I also removed the head stock veneer to save in case I want to use it on something else later. It probably wasn't worth the effort but 95% of what I'm doing is just about "Seeing if I can" I squared up the head stock so I can widen it to custom size, but got a little greedy with the sander on one side so there is another thing to fix. I'm going to have to add some mahogany back to the face of the head stock to get my thickness back because the veneer didn't come off as cleanly as I would like. Oh well, we might be how to section on building a neck from scratch on here soon.

I'm also trying to decide what kind of top carve I would like to do. More or less re-curve? I'm thinking less t the moment.... Opinions welcome....

So Hopefully this week I will get to routing and shaping the top!!!! That I am looking forward to.

So here are pic's from today... I will be adding and saving in case of crash...

Squaring up the bottom of the neck tenon to add more wood to it. I removed the remaining little bit with a fine cut back saw...

830a401d.jpg

Gluing on some extra wood on the tenon and the neck heel...

df3ea132.jpg

Removing the headstock veneer...

afc1b574.jpg

22e4c311.jpg

fc9e97c4.jpg

dc819253.jpg

1e5e75e0.jpg

92db9fef.jpg

Squaring up the headstock... (Well kinda square)

02e69841.jpg

69185b8a.jpg

So some more gluing and new veneer on the way! Should be starting to make some forward progress this week.!! Thanks for the encouragement and compliments everyone!

Sincerely,

Andy

Day - 10 Wow I got a Pinned Thread!!! Very cool! ( This isn't connect to a secret forum I don't know about called "Watch this idiot destroy his Guitar" is it??msp_scared.gifmsp_blushing.gif

LOL!

I'm so glad it's been pinned. Easier to find...

Wonderful stuff, Andy.

P.

So I would like some opinions on what type of top carve I should do. My question is how much if any re-curve do you think I should add to the top? The Studio originally had a bit of re-curve but looking at my Deluxe it hardly has any at all. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, the re-curve is the dished out part of the top that usually tapers down from the binding from about the bridge up to the toggle switch and then starts tapering back up towards the edge of the pick-up rings. Some Les Paul Tops have a very pronounced recurve where this are is pretty deep and more sculpted while others hardly have any at all and just have a nice smooth radius from the middle of the body to the edge.

Here ar some pics and descriptions:

Original Studio before I removed the top... You can see the bit of re-curve it had if you look at the reflection a bit...

209014ad.jpg

Lot's of recurve

8b6b0608.jpg

Not so much recurve. My deluxe has less than this..

e573dbbc.jpg

So what do you all think?????

Archived