Gibson Brands Forums

GC explanation?

retrosurfer1959

@ Retro: Unfortunately, I was not prepared to leave GC without the Dusk Tiger. The one that I played was simply the coolest LP I ever handled since one I played in 48th Street Guitars in NYC, 7 years ago.

The guitar I passed up at 48th Street then was a 1970 LP recording custom in mint shape with case, original brochure, & bill-o-sale. They wanted $1,000 bucks for it. I tried to get them down to $700 with case because it wasn't moving. No dice. I went back there three weeks later & it was sold.

That LP had haunted me for 7 years. Never played a neck close to that feel and a body with such a resonant tone, until I played that Dusk Tiger.

I have learned that in the karmic balance sheet of life, it all works out in the end if you are open to the opportunity.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The case thing does not make any sense to me. Most guitar makes will not allow their guitars to be sold without a gig bag or case. Not sure what Gibson's is*. I know for certain Taylor says to report the seller if they sell you a Taylor without a gig bag or case. When I bought my Taylor from GC they rang up the gig bag separately. I was pissed until I realize that the total price added up correctly. I thought they did this for everything.

*Anyone know?

I've been lucky with GC over the past few years. I was fortunate enough to become friends with the platinum room manager and he takes good care of me. Every once in a while I get a peek at the actual GC price for a certain guitar and most markups range in the 30 - 40% neighborhood at that point I start pizzin and moaning about being stiffed and usually land a fair price. It's all fun to me anyway to try to work the guys over anyways. There's nothing better to me than seeing them shake their heads when I roll through the door saying " Theres that tight wad S.O.B. again, you deal with him."[scared]

One of the goofiest things I encountered in a GC was last year. I can't remember the exact details but they had some Planet Waves guitar cables on sale for X amount of dollars. Right next to those cables were the exact same kind, but they also came with a few sets of D'Adario strings. They were priced exactly the same. You would think one would be more expensive or the other would be cheaper, however you want to look at it :-k

It didn't matter to me, but I just asked the guy out of curiosity if he thought anyone would buy the cable alone if they could get the same cable plus some strings for the same price? He just said something about that's the way the manufacturer packs them or something. No big deal, but it makes you go HMMMMM.

I'm not sure if you all know this or not, first, I think we all know that Guitar Center and Musicians Friends are 1 company...

BUT, NOW MUSIC 123 IS ALSO A PART OF THEM AS WELL???

I just found that out the other day..

Am I the last to know this??

I also hear that some talk with Sam Ash is in as well..

Both bought at GC.... less-than-sticker deals AND on Saturday afternoon to boot.

100_0549-1.jpg

MSS011-1.jpg

I'm very glad I've not adopted an "I'll NEVER buy from X music store" attitude, or I'd have missed out on some killer instruments....

[thumbup]

Add woodwind and brasswind to the corporate stable.

Bain Capital LLC is a Boston-based private equity firm founded in 1984 by partners from the consulting firm Bain & Company. Originally conceived as an early-stage, growth-oriented investment fund, Bain Capital today manages approximately $65 billion in assets, and its strategies include private equity, venture capital, public equity, high-yield assets and mezzanine capital funds.

Gotta love the pics of Chan's Lester. As some people have mentioned about the cases being sold separately, I just can't get over the fact that places try to do that with something that the darn thing comes in from the factory. They tried to do that when I talked down the price on my SG but I was able to get the rep to forgo that.

I have always had good luck with GC. I always deal with the same two sales guys, they know me and what I am interested in. I have bought most of my guitars from them - from a clearance priced MIM Strat to a Les Paul Traditional Plus and have been satisfied with the experience every time, even during the "crazy times" (Saturday afternoon, Black Friday). I asked about he case pricing the first time I saw it on a receipt - it is inventory control. They charge for the guitar and case seperately, but the total of the two items should equal the negotiated price of the guitar.

I have always had good luck with GC. I always deal with the same two sales guys, they know me and what I am interested in. I have bought most of my guitars from them - from a clearance priced MIM Strat to a Les Paul Traditional Plus and have been satisfied with the experience every time, even during the "crazy times" (Saturday afternoon, Black Friday). I asked about he case pricing the first time I saw it on a receipt - it is inventory control. They charge for the guitar and case seperately, but the total of the two items should equal the negotiated price of the guitar.

Should is the key word. A friend of mine thought he had talked down a deal until the guy charged him for the case and that brought it back to the sticker price.

Should is the key word. A friend of mine thought he had talked down a deal until the guy charged him for the case and that brought it back to the sticker price.

Charging for the case is GC's oldest scam.

They tried that on me in the 80s. Twice.

At no time would I do a deal for an Alembic Bass guitar and my Gibson ES-175 without a case.

Came from the manufacturer with a case. Ought to leave the store with one.

Archived